InfinitySurf

Should I get FAE (Fresh Air Exhaust) for SV244?

JK86    3

Thanks for the advice Infinitysurf. I've been doing quite a bit of research on these and it seems like a no brainer. A discount would be nice but either way I'm going to order it. My wife hates the fumes and I hate that I cant even hear my 6 Rev 10's from the tower when I'm wakeboarding/surfing and killing everyone's ears in the boat trying. The only downside I see is the spray issue when surfing so I'll definitely ask about that spray plate. Hopefully I can get one ordered today.

InfinitySurf    302
11 hours ago, JK86 said:

Thanks for the advice Infinitysurf. I've been doing quite a bit of research on these and it seems like a no brainer. A discount would be nice but either way I'm going to order it. My wife hates the fumes and I hate that I cant even hear my 6 Rev 10's from the tower when I'm wakeboarding/surfing and killing everyone's ears in the boat trying. The only downside I see is the spray issue when surfing so I'll definitely ask about that spray plate. Hopefully I can get one ordered today.

I actually got a FEDEX notification today that they shipped out my spray relief plate...so pretty cool! Hopefully that does the trick but again, even with the spray, the pros far outweigh the cons IMO

JK86    3

Awesome. I ended up placing my order this morning and Christina said that they've changed the design a little since they initially made it for our boats, so hopefully its not an issue. Either way I'm stoked about it. I'll post pics when I get it.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

dreikorncr    7

We are actually about to order one of these as well for our 13 SV233. Keep us in the loop how it goes! I'll update if we end up ordering one too of course. 

volzalum    280

Any updates on how well the spray relief plate works?

InfinitySurf    302

The bolt-on plate does stop some of the misc spray at surf speed (it was never real bad nor did the spray hit/effect the surfer) but does not completely stop it. The deep V hull and angle I surf at just puts the tip of the FAE right where the pocket of air behind the hull and the water coming back together all combine and I am convinced that is why I get any spray at all. I have a few friends with FAE added to their non-Centurion boats and none of them get any spray, nor do they have a spray plate.

At some point (cause I like projects), I may customize/build a silent stinger plate similar to the new Centurions. May not happen for a while since its low on the priority list. I like the look/functionality of the "silent stinger" and it would clean up the items on the back of my boat since I have the A-plate, the InfinityWave surf tab system, the FAE....and recently added, telescoping swim ladder mounted to the bottom of my swim platform. My surf sized swim platform makes the mods look out of proportion but I have not had any issues with anyone hitting the surf tabs or anything else when surfing or swimming. The swim ladder does not effect the wave at all and it makes it easier for my wife to get out of water from swimming/floating since her knee injuries make it hard for her to get from water, onto swim platform. 

swim ladder. retracted.jpg

swim ladder. deployed 1.jpg

swim ladder. deployed 2.jpg

Edited by InfinitySurf

Troy    234

Is your a-plate cut around the FAE?

InfinitySurf    302
On 5/28/2020 at 9:49 AM, Troy said:

Is your a-plate cut around the FAE?

No, the little plate you see on the FAE is the bolt-on kit that Fresh Air sent me after the fact to help with the spray.

• Like 1

InfinitySurf    302

This is a better pic, its from last Spring right after installing the Infinity Wave surf tabs and before adding the bolt-on "spray plate" from Fresh Air Exhaust

InfinityWave tabs. Left side view. 04.17.k19.jpg

• Like 1

Hokiebob    0

question--how did you mount the swim ladder--did you put carriage bolts through the platform and if so, how did you cover them?  The FAE looks like a nice add--no joke, it makes it noticeably quieter?

InfinitySurf    302
22 hours ago, Hokiebob said:

question--how did you mount the swim ladder--did you put carriage bolts through the platform and if so, how did you cover them?  The FAE looks like a nice add--no joke, it makes it noticeably quieter?

Yes, noticably quieter with FAE. The PCM motors are already fairly quiet but this made it super easy to carry normal conversations in the boat no matter the rpm.... for the surfer, easy to hear the stereo system. 

For the swim ladder, I actually did that last month and been meaning to post up my process/pics, just been so crazy with work. I did not use carriage bolts, I didnt want to drill thru my platform and then also have to replace the SeaDeck. 

I decided to try something new and ended up using 5/16" brass nutserts, 4 on each side and bolted it up using 5/16" stainless hex head bolts. 3/4" long would work but I did 1" long thinking that since the center of the swim platform is filled with the fiber and not like the new boats with a metal support glassed in, I would drill the hole needed for the nutsert and then "mushroom" the bottom of the cavity so I could add epoxy and strengthen it. It was time consuming but I after I prepped it all and had the nutserts ready to install.... I filled the hole with epoxy and then inserted the nutsert and then immediatly after that I covered the bolt threads with wax (I used a commode wax ring for this) and then ran the bolt down thru the nutsert and into the epoxy so the epoxy would cure around the bolt threads. I let it cure for 24hrs before removing the bolts so I could finish the install. My thinking was that doing it this way, the swim ladder would be held not only by the nutsert which was imbedded into the epoxy, but the bolts also continue threading into the epoxy and since the cavity was muchroomed, it was spreading out the weight more efficiently. I honestly dont know if my theory was correct, but this swim ladder does not budge at all! I then used 3M 4200 to seal everything and bolted down the swim ladder frame.

Just before I started my install, I found another guy on the Malibu forum who was also installing his swim ladder the same way! Funny that we both had similar ideas.... I dont think he did the epoxy quite like I did but he said his also turned out very strong.

This is the ladder I bought  ,NovelBee 3 Step Undermount Sliding Boat Ladder  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YZL4MWR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The nutserts used... and this is how I drove them in5eeb8022a054b_Webp.net-resizeimage(16).jpg.c0e46274034d321c73411220233c9297.jpg

5eeb803d0dec0_Webp.net-resizeimage(19).jpg.15893201a2a40b5e4afee90069ecafe4.jpg

5eeb80549e6ed_Webp.net-resizeimage(23).jpg.405c64b9d10d785b45e3a11e87d9c998.jpg

5eeb804a51f7a_Webp.net-resizeimage(17).jpg.dd4fdf8448be7776377b7c0a9d0fc943.jpg

3M 42005eeb806c96e44_Webp.net-resizeimage(21).jpg.dccde92dda750d968dbef0e6794961bc.jpg

5eeb806197877_Webp.net-resizeimage(20).jpg.1667dd8d03adea87ec61c2f714286963.jpg

Final install5eeb80736fde8_Webp.net-resizeimage(24).jpg.57d0f06ff5db704aff7c56be3b0a772a.jpg

• Like 1

volzalum    280

For the FAE, do the drain plug mount bolts go all the way through the hull with washer/nut on the inside? Or are they just screws that are inserted with marine sealant? Similar question for where it mounts at the exhaust.

InfinitySurf    302

Drain plug is stainless screws with 3M 4200. At the exhaust, at that time a couple others had sheared the heads off stainless screws where the exhaust flange mounted (water pressure against the FAE).... so I used grade 8 screws and 3M 5200. It has never budged. I actually have stainless bolts with the half moon washers so I can thru-bolt it, have just never taken the time to swap them out.

• Like 1

volzalum    280

Thanks. I will probably be adding this in the next few weeks. I want to see if the bigger prop clears up my goofy side exhaust issue (i.e., gets it back to similar to first season). If not I will be adding it so that us goofy riders don't have exhaust smoke in our faces.

Trying to see how long of a task it is for me and whether I have to take the inside apart again for access (i.e., if through bolts I have to disassemble the bay).

Edited by volzalum
  • Like 1

InfinitySurf    302

My FAE did not require removing the thru-hull as the flange bolted to to the outside behind the trim ring... I would say 2-3hrs if working alone? I have seen a couple new FAE that replaces the factory thru-hull (which makes it more secure and less likely to have stainless heads pop due to stress against the pipe. So basically the stainless pipe continues thru the hull roughly 6" and you use the rubber boot on the inside of the hull that connects the stainless coming from the Ramfill drain pipe.... sounded like the hardest part of the install was working that rubber piece onto the new FAE extension not only cause its a tight fit, but its also hard to use both hand efficiently while crunched up in the boat transom, I would think having a 2nd person for that part would save a lot of cussing. I believe the newer FAE also does not have the side support bracket that mounts around the drain plug since the extra stainless pipe that goes thru the hull helps hold it in place. I saw a recent install on the Centurion facebook page

InfinitySurf    302

5b0657e1a5ce7_Webp.net-resizeimage(13).jpg.b26896a4b9f4ed03ef4826ae952e4571.jpg5b0657ddb4e9a_Webp.net-resizeimage(12).jpg.69b207022923909a2aba20b6c9ae52bf.jpg5b0657e577c20_Webp.net-resizeimage(14).jpg.b487841338116a7dfcf439866e701e5b.jpg

InfinitySurf    302

@volzalum Above are some of the original install pics. The only thing about using the stronger "grade 8" screws at the exhaust flange is that the heads started rusting after some time, even tho I do not leave the boat in the water. Because I used the 3M 5200, I probably never needed the grade 8 screws but at that time I didn't want to take any chances since I knew of 2 others with my exact boat that had the stainless heads break off.... but adding the 3M 5200 around the flange was what FAE also started recommending to reduce some of the stress put on those 3 screws. Let me know if I can help in any other way

Edited by InfinitySurf
  • Like 1