InfinitySurf

Should I get FAE (Fresh Air Exhaust) for SV244?

InfinitySurf    302

I have seen on some past threads here...1-2 years ago where people talked about the FAE causing spray issues...not sure if that was due to size of swim platform or not but i just picked up a 2014 SV244 and would really like an FAE to reduce noise, plus the other benefits they claim (reduced CO since my kids are usually on boat, etc). I emailed them on Monday asking questions...and Christina claims they have made a LOT of mods since a couple years ago and now have "many happy Centurion owners" that report little to no spray" and the connection to pipe is also much more secure. Was that just a past problem that has been fixed...and anyone here bought one in last year and is happy with it? Christina also send me a few pics and they look good. I got a hookup to get a $70 off discount if ordered by March 17th (next week) by using a coupon code on a group buy that I am part of...before I do, just wanted to see if anyone had any "real life" experience and can confirm their issues have been fixed with spray.

Also...if anyone here is interested in the FAE group buy, I can likely get you in as more people = bigger savings for us all.

Was gonna attach a few of the pics so you can see what they currently look like....but they are all 600KB or bigger and it wont let me.

Thanks for any responses

stoked    1,039

I picked up an FAE for my 2015 FS33 early last year. I worked with Larry over there on the down pipe pinching and can tell you there is no longer spray. The only time I get any spray is when going 20+ mph. I highly recommend it!!!

lovetosurf    48

InfinitySurf, I posted on this last year:

http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.php/topic/11184-fae-new-vs-old/?fromsearch=1

The short answer is Yes! The new FAE is awesome, no spray, reduced Carbon Monoxide and the engine noise is cut in half. Makes such a difference being able to listen and chat to people while cruising, it's an upgrade to your sound system at the same time!

Definitely my fave upgrade so far and the peeps at FAE were a pleasure to work with! ab51f10f1c7aac7c842b6aaa688cb86c.jpge6e691b605d2c8bfc3275d4d8512b363.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Darkside    248

Reduced Co2 is really not much of an issue for 95% of modern boats. If your boat has a catalytic converter, which it should, you have very minimal Co2.

Having had the FAR on 2 previous Malibus, they are fantastic and do reduce noise significantly

InfinitySurf    302

Thats great, thank you for the quick replies. I am definitely taking the plunge knowing the spray issues are fixed. I figured with that streamlined end piece it would help not only for the spray, but also to not effect top end as much (hear you can lose 1-2mph on top end...but i could careless about that as all i do is surf and play, not race).

One last question, it seems that it is secured by one rod that goes back into the transom, to mount the bracket to transom that helps hold the FAE into place since Centurion does not have a bracket under swim platform you can mount up too. Is it nice and tight with that single mount....no wiggle or risk of losing the system under normal conditions?

InfinitySurf    302

Did you install a flapper on yours? What would be the reason for a flapper with the FAE since water cannot "rush" into the exhaust system with the system installed? If any reason TO install flapper, I will....just wondering what you all did?

stoked    1,039

There is a flapper in the hull, so you're good there.

The bracket mounts to a mounting bolt on the A-plate. It's on fairly solid. Now, not to scare you but more as a "hey, keep an eye out", mine did wobble a bit and actually broke one of the three mounting screws. Once that one screw broke, it started to wobble a lot more and I started getting exhaust coming up under the platform not to mention a hole in the transom where the broken screw was, which is how I discovered the problem in the first place "where is all of this water coming from??". So I drilled out the mounting holes and used stainless steel bolts, nylocks, and some 5200. You can now lift my boat up by the FAE and it won't go anywhere. If you go this route, it's a massive PITA. The holes are two close to the exhaust on the inside of the boat and getting to them is a lesson is flexibility and dexterity (I have neither). I ended up relocating the inner exhaust clamps which freed up a lot of room.

I'm sure I'm the outlier with this issue, I haven't heard of a single other person having to go this route.

RhuntIII    555

Excellent work with the FAE lovetosurf, Did you notice any changes in the amount of steam produced?

dejoeco    59

I recently installed FAE on my SV233. I do get some spray, but not significant. I haven't surfed enough lately to say I have put it through the ringer to know the complete picture. I am on spring break next week and hope to really test it out. I would recommend through bolting the attachment even though it is a a little more difficult to install. (not significant) I did it and would do it again. Like a lot of things, if I had to install again I could cut the time in half. Definitely less motor noise.

• Like 1

InfinitySurf    302

I talked to FAE today and ordered my system for my SV244. I asked Christina if it would be ok if I offer the group buy to members of this forum...and she gave the "ok".

So I started the group buy on Tige forum cause I have 2 boats....tho the Centurion is the one I use 90% of the time since I have it set up for serious surfing (7,500lbs of ballast)...cant buy one for the Tige anyway cause that is a 2017 and those FAE systems are not yet available.

There are 2 measurements you will likely need....which you will be prompted to give as you go thru the order process. FYI....the base cost is $480....+ $40 to get polished welds...+ $40 for the flapper (but flapper likely not needed since built into the Hull on Centurion). So probably most are looking at $520 total on retail. HOWEVER, the group buy will get you $70 off (we already have 6 people confirmed and once it hits 7 it goes to $70 off...and we will have at least 7 from that forum for sure)....so that brings the group buy total down to $450! Their warranty, customer service and quality is 2nd to none. Their reviews are all 5 star and dealing with Christina...I can see that!

If you do call in to talk to Christina to place order or ask questions....tell her that Drew gave you the info to call in (otherwise they may question why the boat is not a Tige)

HERE IS THE INFORMATION TO PLACE AN ORDER: (from Christina)

The group buy will run from 03/02/17 – 03/18/17......(2017 models are not yet available, but will be soon!)
Anyone ordering online can use promo code “TIGESPRING17”, or when ordering by phone, you must mention that you are with the Tige’ group buy. When entered, this code will apply a $50 discount to the order. Once the group buy reaches 7 or more people, the discount will increase to $70 off each order. All online orders are processed manually, meaning that no charge will be made to your card until you have received an order confirmation. This discount cannot be combined with other offers, and is valid on direct, new orders only. (CC will not be charged till end of group buy once its confirmed how many ordered...so discount amount is known).

Christina Dubes

Fresh Air Exhaust
Hill Country Boardz, LLC
mail@freshairexhaust.com
www.FreshAirExhaust.com

I hope this helps someone save some money who has been wanting an FAE system but wanted to save a few bucks doing it (like me). LOVE discounts!

• Like 1

Nick213    583

If I don't have to modify my A-plate or have spray from it I'd be in! I'll call them and see what we can work out ;)

bleveriza    1

I talked to Christina last week and planned to order FAE Friday. I'm scheduled to drop boat off at CalMarineSports Friday for scheduled maintenance including impeller replacement so I can provide measurements before dropping it off. Consider me the 7th order. I'll mention "Drew" when ordering Friday.

InfinitySurf    302

Glad I can help others with this info...knew there would be some Centurion folks who wanted FAE system. Guessing by the time this is done, be around 15 people that order. I am really looking forward to being able to more easily talk to people on boat and the person surfing since exhaust will get toned down. Hear its also like upgrading your stereo cause its so much quieter.

Bleveriza....go online to their site....they have the measurements you need to provide.

1st is the measurement from the right side of exhaust ring, to center of boat (mine was 5 1/2").....the 2nd was the measurement from the top of the exhaust ring, to the center of your prop (mine was 16"). This is on my 2014 SV244. Sounds like most single exhaust Centurions are very similar from what Christina told me

Nick213....you DONT have to modify the A-plate. Designed to work with it and not interfere at all (it extends above and behind it)....and the bracket that secures the FAE, mounts to existing screw holes that hold the A-plate bracket on, so no drilling at all. I asked around a LOT about the spray before pulling trigger and everyone says that issue was fixed as FAE has made modifications. Even sounded like they modified anyone that complained about the spray for free. First...they don't take it quite as far down to create less drag. Designed for the bottom tip to go down approx to the middle nut of your prop which is why they ask for that measurement....and they "pinched" the end of the FAE to make it more aerodynamic so water flows around it, rather than hitting back side and causing the spray.

I was asking them about warranty on Monday also...went so far as to ask what happens if system falls off and I lose it in the lake. They said when done, they ask for you to take pics at multiple angles and send back. Then their team reviews to be sure the install was done correctly. If all is good, you warranty is activated and if system is lost under normal conditions (which rarely happens)....you get a new one for free. Seems like serious quality control and like they really stand behind their product. I am OCD about getting info before I buy anything, so I did a lot of research. Full disclosure....this one will be my first FAE so I am telling you what I talked to them about and what I have been told by others. I also checked them out on Facebook and seen nothing but 5 star reviews on their company.

Dont get me wrong, I am not in any way affiliated with FAE and gain nothing sending people that way except ensuring we get at least 7 on the group buy so we all get $70 off....and sure we will hit that and more, either way. Just like to help others, as karma exists....and I have been helped many times and I wanna pay it forward. Good Luck!

bleveriza    1

I ordered this morning and spoke to Christina. She confirmed I was the 7th order! $70 discount should apply now.

InfinitySurf    302

Awesome!! Thank you

Dreamer    96

The FAE is a must have on any boat. I've had one all all three of mine. That FAE design looks different from the one I purchased in 2014 for my 2014 SV244. Mine came off the boat twice and fortunately got caught up on the wakeplate and did not go to the bottom of the lake. I had a custom frame built to mount it up to the swim platform. I also had major spray issues so had a custom matt built to knock the spray down as well. If you do a search the pictures should be on here somewhere.

InfinitySurf    302

SALE on the Fresh Air Exhaust (FAE)....ends on this Friday the 17th. If anyone else is interested, call Christina and talk to her about the options...details listed above. Again, $70 discount with group buy info mentioned above.

prorider17    30

I took advantage of this forum discount. No one ever complained about $70 off! I'll hopefully have mine installed by next month. I'll feature some videos regarding the noise from the perspective of an '05 Lightning C4.

chenige    84

Got mine for my old 2000 elite coming. Told the wife how it would cut the fumes for the surfer. I think it being quieter will be great for the stereo.

DarksideR    1,679

Just started thinking about this today.... of coarse I just missed the deadline. Lol. Gonna give them a call in the AM anyway