Sign in to follow this  
zonk

2015 s226 2017 trim plate ?

Mrwick    65

Well I took five minutes to model a stinger trim plate.......I figure $60 in 3/16 stainless 15 minutes on the CNC plasma table, 15 minutes in deburr and polish, 5 minutes in the brake, and 15 minutes in mock-up clamp and mounting...........shop rate @ 150/hr.   = about $200 to $225 project.    I would start this project today if I had the material in house.....☹️    I am truly hoping it can help shove the bow down for a even longer wave!   If NW's price is really 300 bucks, it isn't too bad of a deal.....and way less work.....lol

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like 1

BrandinS21    11

Got mine built! Can't wait to try it! Got the stinger plate and a Tsunami wake device. Here's hoping for an epic wave this season!

• Like 1

49faith    4
12 hours ago, BrandinS21 said:

Got mine built! Can't wait to try it! Got the stinger plate and a Tsunami wake device. Here's hoping for an epic wave this season!

I'm excited to see your results. I want to get my bow down.

Mrwick    65
On 5/6/2017 at 0:56 PM, BrandinS21 said:

What was your result with the new stinger?

BrandinS21    11

So the stinger plate works great. With the suck gate the wave is a little washy. But tons of push and quite long. The plate adds a ton of adjustability. The wave is way more sensitive to adjustments with the bigger plate. Also now the bow is down nice and low while surfing which is a bonus for the driver. 

• Thanks 1

Mrwick    65
7 hours ago, BrandinS21 said:

So the stinger plate works great. With the suck gate the wave is a little washy. But tons of push and quite long. The plate adds a ton of adjustability. The wave is way more sensitive to adjustments with the bigger plate. Also now the bow is down nice and low while surfing which is a bonus for the driver. 

Glad to hear the stinger helped......I haven't yet installed mine on my 226.   I have tried a suck gate and it did really "suck" on my boat......Good feedback!

viking    491
On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:35 AM, BrandinS21 said:

Did you just bolt it on to the existing trim tab or did you remove the old at the piano hinge and replace with the new plate?  Just asking because I am leaning towards a winter project of replacing the existing completely.  It's a lot easier to just drill and install new on existing than punch out all the rivets on the piano hinge and replace completely...... but I'm a little concerned about it not being exactly flush with the bottom of the hull.  And I'm just a bit anal retentive :)

BrandinS21    11

I built it to bolt on. to adjust it perfectly with the existing tab all I did was drill slightly larger holes for the bolts. Then with an extra set of hands you can use a square or straight edge to hold it flush while you tighten the bolts. Used some nice stainless washers and  nylock nuts to secure the plate. 

I did it this way just in case I didn't like the results of the stinger plate. Can always go back to original by removing the bolts! ?

• Like 1

Mrwick    65

Well, I'm finally in mockup mode......I narrowed my "wings" by 1.750 inches to allow for some exhaust flow from my turndown pipes.......four holes with stainless button head cap screws and I will be ready to lake test....... I hope to achieve the ability to remove 150 of the 250 lbs in my bow and move it to the surf side corner for a bigger, longer wave.......we will see!  I will post results!

IMG_4170.JPG

• Like 2

viking    491
On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 0:20 PM, BrandinS21 said:

I built it to bolt on. to adjust it perfectly with the existing tab all I did was drill slightly larger holes for the bolts. Then with an extra set of hands you can use a square or straight edge to hold it flush while you tighten the bolts. Used some nice stainless washers and  nylock nuts to secure the plate. 

I did it this way just in case I didn't like the results of the stinger plate. Can always go back to original by removing the bolts! ?

Thanks for the info.  Do you like it so far?

Mrwick    65
On 8/9/2017 at 8:10 PM, Mrwick said:

Well, I'm finally in mockup mode......I narrowed my "wings" by 1.750 inches to allow for some exhaust flow from my turndown pipes.......four holes with stainless button head cap screws and I will be ready to lake test....... I hope to achieve the ability to remove 150 of the 250 lbs in my bow and move it to the surf side corner for a bigger, longer wave.......we will see!  I will post results!

IMG_4170.JPG

Ok......feedback time......I start with how the stinger impacted the wakeboard wake.....positive.......I filled stock ballast plus 250's under the side seats and 400lbs of lead in the bow walkway.  Only needed 5 to 10% tab to get a pretty nice wake with a good shape.  Next the surf wave?...... the jury is out......I had 600lbs of lead in the surfside corner plus 1000lb sumo.  All stock ballast full. 375lb under surf side seat (regular) and 100 lbs in bow.  Only one other person in boat.  I could run 0 tab and get a fairly tall and pretty long wave.  This worked ok for me and my new Doomswell Nubstep......not impressed though.  I needed a bigger crew!..... my 12 yr old daughter loves a skim wake so I set the stinger at 40% and the wave was ok......it was long with pretty good push and not very steep at all, just like she likes....I hope to get it dialed for my preferred " big and long as possible"  wave!  I will keep working on it!  First 2 pics are with stinger, Last pic is before the stinger!☹️

IMG_4198.JPG

IMG_4201.JPG

IMG_3912.JPG

Mrwick    65

My final conclusion of the stinger is that it was worth building.  The main thing it has done is clean up the face of the wave. I would say it has gained me some length in the wave as well but I have had to put the bow weight I was hoping to remove, back up there.....I'll post pics over the weekend.

NW Boat Sports    232

Hoping to get Nick to post on this thread. He fabricated a stinger for his S-21, installed it, He's running it along with 1,100 lb rear bags, wake ballast bags and his wave is HUGE. Waist high. He also is using an unconventional item. Hoping that he posts his set up and pics but his friends with F-21 and G21 agree his wave is better! 

viking    491

Nothing to report back from me just yet.  My stinger plate is still sitting in the shop hoping for a winter install :)

Mrwick    65
On 9/18/2017 at 8:31 PM, gravity12 said:

Any updates? 

Im not happy with mine right now.....I'm going to build a new one that is shorter.....I feel that it has killed the height of my wave when I have a small crew or windy conditions.....I hope to get a couple more trips this fall!  I'll post results with new plate......

InfinitySurf    302

I like the look of what you did, very similar to what is on the FI23 for 2018...only it has turned down edges on outside (see pic). I would assume the edge is to help the boat track straight, not sure why that would be needed tho, so maybe there is a different reason. Since you are making a new plate, thot I would share in case you find it helpful.

Webp.net-resizeimage (10).jpg

• Like 1

InfinitySurf    302

Looking at yours again...I wonder if you could use existing one you made and just shorten the tail some and perhaps round it a little more? Would save materials and labor...unless of course you want to keep it in case the 2.0 model is not what you want.

In my boat....I find it puts out a bigger, cleaner wave if I add lead to bow instead of using the trim plate. I have tried it both ways and always get a bigger wave weighting it....rather than running 30% trim. When I use the trim to force down the bow INSTEAD of lead, I lose more height just like you are talking about (I know you lose some anyway doing that....just saying I can tell a difference in height between the 2 methods and my trim plate is not anywhere near as big as yours). I do have the a-plate, but only one wing and I have no tail.

Mrwick    65
1 hour ago, InfinitySurf said:

Looking at yours again...I wonder if you could use existing one you made and just shorten the tail some and perhaps round it a little more? Would save materials and labor...unless of course you want to keep it in case the 2.0 model is not what you want.

In my boat....I find it puts out a bigger, cleaner wave if I add lead to bow instead of using the trim plate. I have tried it both ways and always get a bigger wave weighting it....rather than running 30% trim. When I use the trim to force down the bow INSTEAD of lead, I lose more height just like you are talking about (I know you lose some anyway doing that....just saying I can tell a difference in height between the 2 methods and my trim plate is not anywhere near as big as yours). I do have the a-plate, but only one wing and I have no tail.

Great insight Infinity!  Also great eye in spotting that the design has changed again on the "OE" stinger for '18.  You nailed it about wanting to keep 1.0 for the simple fact that 2.0 might not be any better.... lol.  I like the idea of adding more radius to the stinger and in doing that, shorting it a little.  I see both Centurion and Tige are adding the little down-turn features on their plates now.....I might try that too.....