sgresham

Centurion Ri257 or 2017 G23

Darkside    248

I too am curious what did you modify on 238 to make it similar to 257? These hulls are both Deep V, but very different?

• Like 1

I too am curious what did you modify on 238 to make it similar to 257? These hulls are both Deep V, but very different?

Just added upgraded the rear sacs and added some under the seats. Plus some lead.

http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.php/topic/11573-s238-add-on-sacks/

Compare the hulls of the s238, 217, 237 and 257...if you can find a lick of difference in their shape on the bottom you have a much keener eye than me. I've been staring at them right next to each other at the boat show all weekend. In particular the 238 and 237 look dead on to me below the waterline.

The Ri's are in a different class when it comes to plushness and quietness tho. Was very impressed.

Darkside    248

First I absolutely agree that an S238 can put out a GREAT wave. However, in order to get there you are GROSSLY overweighting (I personally view the plaque as a guidelines not an actual rule).you are also using up all available storage, etc.

Now as for pure hull differences. Notice RI237 is angular all the way from Stinger to the side, the S238 flattens out the last few inches. I am also willing to bet the angle is different,

Now look at RI257, the surf tabs flatten, and change angle within the tab. Due to hull changing.

So similar I agree, but small differences can be huge.

• Like 1

First I absolutely agree that an S238 can put out a GREAT wave. However, in order to get there you are GROSSLY overweighting (I personally view the plaque as a guidelines not an actual rule).you are also using up all available storage, etc.

Now as for pure hull differences. Notice RI237 is angular all the way from Stinger to the side, the S238 flattens out the last few inches. I am also willing to bet the angle is different,

Now look at RI257, the surf tabs flatten, and change angle within the tab. Due to hull changing.

So similar I agree, but small differences can be huge.

I prefer to say I am BEAUTIFULLY overweighting it, not grossly, thank you very much. Still is far from seeming overweighted by any means. There is still lots of storage, just have to use it wisely. The 237's I've looked at have the same flattening out you mention, and you could have fooled me with the angle. Plus they reacted exactly the same to changes in the tab positions (surf and wakeboard). Obv the RI has more stock ballast and more storage, so us poor folk have to bootleg our Supreme's to get the same performance.

wheels    151

Ri237 has 36" of draft as opposed to 32" and also 450lbs heavier.

Edited by wheels

DjOM21    59

I think the S238 is simply way underweighted from the factory for whatever reason. Put 4000# of ballast in it and it should work good. Basically an updated SV240 in my opinion.

The Ri is Boss Sauce for sure, but at our recent boat show a decked out Ri was 150-160k CAD and a S238 was $105. So I see $55k reasons why that Ri better surf better out of the box.

All these new boats are so awesome, hard to resist the temptation.

Darkside    248

Race meant no offense with weighting. As stated I view the plaque as a guideline not an actual rule. I historically have always been over the plaque by at least 1000 pounds.

post-7214-0-59316400-1486960014_thumb.jpg

DjOM21    59

I guess more draft simply equates to more displacement?

Edited by DjOM21
  • Like 1

Darkside    248

and...

Zoom in on corners, significantly different

post-7214-0-04159400-1486960092_thumb.jpg

Edited by Darkside

chowder2016    110

Might seem like a stupid question. Does the 36" include the prop? Or is it just the hull?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bawshogg    77

The RI237 hull was modified at the rear outside chines for 2017. I was at the factory late last year when the molds were being changed. Not sure how this plays into this debate, but thought I would add this as it is pertainent .

Bawshogg    77

Might seem like a stupid question. Does the 36" include the prop? Or is it just the hull?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Includes prop an rudder. Draft is basically how much water the boat needs to operate in.

• Like 1

Darkside    248

This is what I am referencing. Maybe this is minor maybe it isn't.

Anyway, both are great, however as we are suposed to be comparing G23 to Ri257, why are we discussing Supreme????

post-7214-0-73571400-1486999149_thumb.png

Edited by Darkside

BoardCo    110

Just to make sure everything is clear on this - there are definitely hull differences between the boats:

The 238 runs a hull that has been modified from the original Supreme V226 design and is most similar to the Enzo SV hull. The hull on the Ri237 / Ri217 was based on the FS series hull and sits naturally deeper in the water than the Supreme hull by having a reduction in overall volume and surface area as the boat drops into the water - this is the reason for the "swoosh" mark on the side and why both the FS and Ri hulls taper outward toward the very top near the rub rail.

I have had extensive experience surfing on all of these boats and you can definitely get a S238 to deliver a killer wave that ultimately with a lot of customization can get close to a Ri237. If you were to optimize it with the same engine (PCM H6) and max it out you might be able to get to what a 237 stock wave can be but you would simply have to add in a similar amount of ballast as the 237 packs which is quite the task in the S238. I have ridden the S238 with an additional 1500 lbs. above stock ballast with 9 people in the boat and the wave was on par with a FS44 in my opinion and with another 1000 lbs. could probably match the Ri237 / Ri217.

Now with that said the Ri257 runs a significantly different hull design with a very different chine profile at the edges of the boat. The strakes on the hull also don't translate as far back on the 257 allowing the rear end of the boat to release on turns more easily than the smaller models which is really beneficial because of the size and weight of the 257. The main purpose of this is to allow the boat to handle better because of it's size. Set up properly (and by properly I mainly just mean standard factory ballast - it's really hard to go wrong on that boat), it puts out the biggest, longest and most massive wave I or anyone else that has ridden it has ever been on. You can get similar mass on a 237 with approx. 600 lbs. of lead at the very butt end but the mass doesn't translate quite as far back as it does on the 257. The wave difference is most noticeable for guys that are over 200 lbs. where mid size riders (175 lbs. or so) will have a similar experience with the push on a 237 vs. the 257 if you add some properly placed additional weight. The biggest difference wave wise is length with the 257 delivering a 5-10 foot longer pocket depending on the size of the rider.

Now with all that being said here is what you can come to expect with a Ri257 / Ri237 vs. a G23 / G25:

As far as the wave goes I personally have experienced and have had multiple customers confirm on boat demos that the Ri237 will throw a wave that is on par with the G23 with just the Ramfill ballast full. When you add the P-N-P ballast the Ri gets considerably more powerful. The Ri257's wave is bigger and longer than the 237, so that is easy to compare. This makes sense as Ramfill and full ballast on a G23 are roughly the same weight.

The other main surfing benefit of the Ri vs. the G is the convenience factor of Ramfill vs. standard ballast. Yes the Ri does run plug and play ballast but the amount of ballast you pump in / out is reduced significantly because of Ramfill so your fill/empty time is roughly half of a G23 to pump in double the ballast. In addition to this the Quick Launch feature makes it so you can jump on to plane quickly while you are still emptying your ballast if you are going to head back to the dock or change locations which from my experience is really nice.

As far as resale goes, you should expect the boats to be roughly the same depending on what kind of deal you get on either one. Both the G and the Ri are great boats and the good news is you won't end up with a junker either way.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

• Like 6

carguy79ta    67

not trying to hijack the thread but can you put a sack in the transom locker that is not included in the 5550 lbs of the 257?