I had my dealer make a call to MerCruiser about this issue after seeing all of these comments.

This is what they told him:

The only procedure we are asking is that when replacing a bad gasket on one side, please check the torque on the other side as well.

The torque for the 4 bolts is 20 lb-ft.

There is no written procedure but he would recommend that one would start with the forward center bolt tighten to 15 lb-ft , move to the aft center bolt torque to 15 lb-ft, move to the most forward bolt torque to 15 lb-ft, move to rear bolt and torque to 15lb-ft. Return to the forward center bolt and complete the torque to 20 lb-ft and continue the sequence from there. Mercruiser recommends putting Perfect Seal (Mercury part number 92-34227-1) on the threads of the bolts and on the metal gasket surfaces of the head and the manifold. After the engine is run up to temperature go back and check torques on both manifolds.

They do not recommend that you check the torque every now and then. This could stretch the bolts and cause them to break. Once the torque is set on a warm engine it should never change after that.

Gaskets for the small block V8 Ski engine is part number 27-33395 and is a gasket developed for the marine application. They come 2 to a package and are available from any local MerCruiser dealer.

This really sounds like the sound and correct way to take care of this problem. I wonder if the issue comes from not getting engines in production warm enough to set the manifolds like this procedure does. I bet this will solve the issue for anyone experiencing this problem.

I am going to get out my old torque wrench and check mine tonight.

Have a great week everybody,

:animier:

zapisor    43
hello - reg the tic noise - its the exhaust manifold - they always go for some reason - if you run your hand along side the manifold you can feel the puffing, but be careful not to get burnt on the manifold - we carry a tork wrench with us just to check the bolts once in a while. You can

get some good gaskets at Napa, they actually carry them! there a tad bit thicker - buy some gasket glue too. I have it down to 18min - saves you the trouble of going to the dealer.

cheers, jeff

Jeff welcome to the site!

We love our IS boards...

islander033    2

I just hit 50 hours and the tic tic tic just showed up..........must be bad karma.

bluesman280    99

Hey Zapisor,

I hope you have better luck with Shipwrecks service department than I am having with their parts department.

Their parts department does not seem very helpful when it comes to actual Centurion parts. Hopefully they are better with the Mercruiser parts. :thumbsup:

zapisor    43

I don't know if Beth is still there, If you need stuff deal with her directly, she's awsome.

zapisor    43

Both gaskets replaced, warranty covered it all :thumbsup:

jquick    0

i asked if this was covered under warranty but the shop declined it. oh well i just replaced it two days ago and im so glad i dont hear the ticking anymore.

note to others if you cannot get it covered under warranty, its not hard to replace, you just need an extra set of hands.

Kevin Baugh    78

As long as your Engine is under warranty this is covered by Mercury

duramat    462

I had mine replaced last year, this evening out on the water I could hear the ever so faint tic, tic, tic

Its baaaaack? :shok:

GOBIG    4

Mine started ticking today at 63 hours does has anyone ordered the parts directly from mercruiser.

jquick    0

this exhaust issue is happening to alot of engines. i wonder is centurion is aware of the gasket issue?

Corey    0

My 08' Falcon V developed it over the weekend as well (55 hours, port side), at least that's what I hope it is... trying to get an appointment to have it fixed.

GOBIG    4

I had a mercruiser dealer order the parts today and going to do it myself so I don't have to wait on the dealership.

Someone said to use sealer on them but I spoke to mercruiser today and they said to put them on dry just like regular manifold gaskets.

Stupid Enzo    0

Hey Guys,

Just found this site as I was looking up this problem! Same thing happened to me today, about 112 hrs on it now

Dan

duramat    462

Never thought Id say thiis,,,

WELCOME HERE STUPID!!!! :thumbsup: PICS!

MWHinton    0

I experienced the same problem at 40 hours on my 08' ENZO 240. The dealer fixed under warranty and turned it around in 2 days! The bad gasket was on the port side and the mechanic feels the gasket was installed incorrectly at the factory.

How can you tell if it is the gasket?

33 hours on my 230 Enzo.

Stupidly I thought it was bad gas the wife bought at ChinaMart (WalMart).

Does it hurt to run with the gasket bad?

What will it hurt?

Not mechanically inclinded so sorry if it is a stupid question.

Oldwakedude    0

Got mine replaced couple weeks ago. Shop said they have seen a lot of them, bad installation, gasket off center. Sounds like Mercury is trying to save some money by using trainees or non-professionals. Can't be that difficult to get it right. :thumbsup: