rockballer    162

Looking for some info from anyone who has ridden behind both of these boats. The Malibu dash is years ahead of the Centurion. But the centurion interior and the downfire stereo is so much nicer. Absolutely love how deep you sit in the boat.

Now the wave from what I have seen in videos and reviews online is that the Malibu is longer and larger. The videos don't lie. These videos are from reviews getting the boats right out of the box. I got to say I love Centurion but the Malibu wave looks so much nicer.

Anyone ever ridden behind these 2 boats before? Looking for honest reviews

LOL Thanks in advance

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x55sivj_2017-centurion-ri237-wakesurfing-review_sport

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x55q4i6

truekaotik    458

Please explain why the Malibu dash is years ahead? Because they hade the bulky glitchy dash first? Because it moves?

Yeah I have doubts about those videos, the Ri wasn't fully weighted but the 235 was. Center and bow weight greatly increase the wave in my opinion.. They look similar to me but looks isn't what I go by, it's the feel and push of the wave and the location of said push. Definitely demo yourself and don't go by a video. The 235 is Malibus best surf vessel for sure...

• Like 1

stoked    1,039

I'd think a more fair comparison would be the ri257 and M235.

That said, just from the videos that malibu wave looks really tight!! I absolutely love the surf band, more marriages would last longer with that thing...

truekaotik    458

That's a two foot difference in boats Stoked, what would be the point? The 237 compares the 235 for sure, it's really preference as the 235 I was in rode like a brick in chop compared to the Ri surprisingly. The wave was the best I've rode in either brand, the 235 felt shorter like a Axis compared to a Avalanche. The 235 also seems to have more push in the back of the wave than the rest, the Ri felt consistent. Both felt solid on landing compared to other boats..

Darkside    248

Rockballer,

Excellent questions. First DEMO both!

You will find there are a few of us here who are moving FROM various Malibu's to the Ri2x7. First note this from video, Malibu=ALL available ballast full, Centurion=Ram fill and rear PNP full, center and bow EMPTY!

Malibu's produce a very pretty wave, they really do however they do not have the same power/feel to them as the Centurion.

Let us take a moment and compare adjustability of the wave. Malibu has three adjustments, Speed, Ballast, and Wedge. Centurion has speed, Ballast, tab adjustability, Stinger, and CATS. So getting the wave taller, longer, steeper, flatter is easier with the Centurion.

Wedge vs. Stinger, these two devices do essentially the exact same way just opposite ways. Malibu has the wedge, which works really well BTW. The wedge pulls the transom deeper, simulating rear ballast, when deploying the transom drops and bow rises, this is why it is extremely common to see the entire bow of a Malibu used for a fat sac. The Stinger does the opposite by creating a bit of rear lift, the bow goes down. So more wedge=taller wave with less length, More Stinger= Shorter wave with more length.

The M235 is a VERY nice boat, and has tons of features, with billet everywhere. The Ri2x7 are nice, but your comparing a GMC Denali to an Escalade. The Denali is very nice, but it's not an Escalade.

Having used the new Malibu dash for almost 200 hours, I can say I do really like it, but make no mistake it has its issues! First the second screen,(the 7" display) the one that has stereo, maps, etc is problematic, and does not dim like the main screen, you usually have to throw a t shirt over it at night. Second that is yourmap screen, so using it at night is a major pain. The Centurion maps are on the left screen, you never have to look down, it's a better lay out. Intuitive wise Malibu wins, but I would not say light years ahead.

I personally had 2 Malibu, a 2014 and 2015, both were HORRIBLE QUALITY! My 2014 was so bad Malibu actually bought it back, the 2015 was not much better, my experience between the 2 boats is every 3 hours of engine use = 1 day in the shop. I put 400 hours on combined between the 2 boats the 2014 spent 73 days in the shop, the 2015 60 days in thier 1st year! I experienced everything from Tranny implosion, to surf gate wiring issues. So be cautious!

Wave wise Malibu marketing almost hot it right, the truth is not on the water it is in the water! Ride Both, then enjoy your new Centurion!

Just out of Curiosity why you not considering Ri257 if your wanting the Mack Daddy wave?

• Like 1

rockballer    162
Rockballer,

Excellent questions. First DEMO both!

You will find there are a few of us here who are moving FROM various Malibu's to the Ri2x7. First note this from video, Malibu=ALL available ballast full, Centurion=Ram fill and rear PNP full, center and bow EMPTY!

Malibu's produce a very pretty wave, they really do however they do not have the same power/feel to them as the Centurion.

Let us take a moment and compare adjustability of the wave. Malibu has three adjustments, Speed, Ballast, and Wedge. Centurion has speed, Ballast, tab adjustability, Stinger, and CATS. So getting the wave taller, longer, steeper, flatter is easier with the Centurion.

Wedge vs. Stinger, these two devices do essentially the exact same way just opposite ways. Malibu has the wedge, which works really well BTW. The wedge pulls the transom deeper, simulating rear ballast, when deploying the transom drops and bow rises, this is why it is extremely common to see the entire bow of a Malibu used for a fat sac. The Stinger does the opposite by creating a bit of rear lift, the bow goes down. So more wedge=taller wave with less length, More Stinger= Shorter wave with more length.

The M235 is a VERY nice boat, and has tons of features, with billet everywhere. The Ri2x7 are nice, but your comparing a GMC Denali to an Escalade. The Denali is very nice, but it's not an Escalade.

Having used the new Malibu dash for almost 200 hours, I can say I do really like it, but make no mistake it has its issues! First the second screen,(the 7" display) the one that has stereo, maps, etc is problematic, and does not dim like the main screen, you usually have to throw a t shirt over it at night. Second that is yourmap screen, so using it at night is a major pain. The Centurion maps are on the left screen, you never have to look down, it's a better lay out. Intuitive wise Malibu wins, but I would not say light years ahead.

I personally had 2 Malibu, a 2014 and 2015, both were HORRIBLE QUALITY! My 2014 was so bad Malibu actually bought it back, the 2015 was not much better, my experience between the 2 boats is every 3 hours of engine use = 1 day in the shop. I put 400 hours on combined between the 2 boats the 2014 spent 73 days in the shop, the 2015 60 days in thier 1st year! I experienced everything from Tranny implosion, to surf gate wiring issues. So be cautious!

Wave wise Malibu marketing almost hot it right, the truth is not on the water it is in the water! Ride Both, then enjoy your new Centurion!

Just out of Curiosity why you not considering Ri257 if your wanting the Mack Daddy wave?

Too heavy of a boat and also just too big on. Plus it's another 50k up here in Canada.

I want to demo them but it's just so cold out and it takes 10 weeks too have one built. Don't know if that will be an option to have one in time for the season

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Darkside    248

That makes sense if it is a size issue I only mentioned 257 as it is 30k less than an M235 here.

cjohnson    33

I hate to be the guy to recommend a different brand but if you're up to the price point for a M235 why aren't you looking at a G23? All the things that I don't like about the 2015 were fixed in 2016 (spray and stereo at the top of the list) and the surf wake is probably one of the easiest to set up. Our dealer sells Centurion and Nautique and they've told me that the Ri has the most options for tweaking the surf wave but it also tougher to get exactly the way you like it.

I think all three are great boats but the M235 is significantly more but it does have the power pocket door. lol If I only surfed I'd look to the Ri since it's the least expensive with one of the best surf waves out there.

rockballer    162

I don't think it was much more. Maybe an extra 5k at my local dealer pricing up here in Canadia. I will have to look into it further on pricing.

That's exactly what I have been reading online is that the Centurions are hard to dial in. I have the same issues with my avalanche and it's a complete pain in the tush. For a guy that only spends a maximum of 25 hrs on the water a season it really is a complete crappie show trying to spend a few hours dialing in a system. Just want to press a button and not need to worrie about it. Pretty sure everyone wants that.

wheels    151

Don't judge a wave by its video. Looks have nothing to do with how a wave actually feels when you're riding it. the Malibu m235 is not as easy to set up as they make you believe. I have personal knowledge from a few of the sponsored riders and Malibu staff who had demo m235 lasts year and they told me it took them almost all season to try and perfect it using extra lead in all different places of the boat. As for the wedge that is the 1st thing I am looking forward to not having. While yes it makes a huge difference in the push off the wave it feels like you are pulling a 1000lb anchor behind you. Drive a Malibu with and with out the wedge and you will feel what I mean. I would definitely demo both, I'm sure the dealer will have a dry suit for you.

• Like 1

rockballer    162
Don't judge a wave by its video. Looks have nothing to do with how a wave actually feels when you're riding it. the Malibu m235 is not as easy to set up as they make you believe. I have personal knowledge from a few of the sponsored riders and Malibu staff who had demo m235 lasts year and they told me it took them almost all season to try and perfect it using extra lead in all different places of the boat. As for the wedge that is the 1st thing I am looking forward to not having. While yes it makes a huge difference in the push off the wave it feels like you are pulling a 1000lb anchor behind you. Drive a Malibu with and with out the wedge and you will feel what I mean. I would definitely demo both, I'm sure the dealer will have a dry suit for you.

It's an independent review. I don't want to judge it by someone that's spent a whole season dialing in a centurion an entire season.

Any other review sites that you recommend?

cjohnson    33

I don't think it was much more. Maybe an extra 5k at my local dealer pricing up here in Canadia. I will have to look into it further on pricing. That's exactly what I have been reading online is that the Centurions are hard to dial in. I have the same issues with my avalanche and it's a complete pain in the tush. For a guy that only spends a maximum of 25 hrs on the water a season it really is a complete crappie show trying to spend a few hours dialing in a system. Just want to press a button and not need to worrie about it. Pretty sure everyone wants that. Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

The M235 was only $5K more? Where are you located? I'm in Calgary and the difference here between a fully loaded Ri and M235 at the boat show last year was over $60K. I think the Ri was around $140 and the M235 was just over $200K.

I'm not a big surfer so maybe not as picky as some but when surfing I changed the surf settings on our G23 the first time out (based on recommendations from guys at planetnautique) and have never touched them since. I haven't surfed a lot of other boats but it's the best I've been behind and it also never matters where people sit. I bought it for the wakeboard wake so surfing was a not as relevant.

If you're in the west Wizard lake gets some pretty good pricing from Nautique (and I think Centurion now). They are the #1 Nautique dealer (by volume) and were able to negotiate some pretty good pricing due to the dollar last year. At that price range I'd make sure to demo them all and make your own decision.

Edited by cjohnson

stoked    1,039

That's a two foot difference in boats Stoked, what would be the point? The 237 compares the 235 for sure, it's really preference as the 235 I was in rode like a brick in chop compared to the Ri surprisingly. The wave was the best I've rode in either brand, the 235 felt shorter like a Axis compared to a Avalanche. The 235 also seems to have more push in the back of the wave than the rest, the Ri felt consistent. Both felt solid on landing compared to other boats..

My bad, read that wrong. Thought it was the 25 footer

Cdifranco    463

My consensus on Malibu boats in general has been the wave always looks great but once I get behind the boat it's trash compared to the Gs or centurions .. I haven't ridden behind an M235 yet tho.

wheels    151

It's an independent review. I don't want to judge it by someone that's spent a whole season dialing in a centurion an entire season.Any other review sites that you recommend? Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Independent? Nothing independent about it. It's wakeboarding mag. Have you ever seen anything but a good review in any boat from them? They have skin in the game! Not sure what you mean by judging it by some one who's spent a whole season dialing in a centurion? All depends what level of a wave you are looking at, if you just want to press a button and go and be happy with 80% potential any of the new surf system boats will give you that. There are a few of us that spend a season or more dialing in our waves to 100% for the ultimate wave Edited by wheels
  • Like 1

truekaotik    458

My bad, read that wrong. Thought it was the 25 footer

that makes sense... been there and done that too.. lol

DrNate    426

Independent? Nothing independent about it. It's wakeboarding mag. Have you ever seen anything but a good review in any boat from them? They have skin in the game! Not sure what you mean by judging it by some one who's spent a whole season dialing in a centurion? All depends what level of a wave you are looking at, if you just want to press a button and go and be happy with 80% potential any of the new surf system boats will give you that. There are a few of us that spend a season or more dialing in our waves to 100% for the ultimate wave

I just wanted to say how true this is. In 2004 when I wakeboarded I wanted the best new boat for wakeboarding that there was. At that time wakeboarding magazine was still fairly new and of course all of their reviews on every boat I was shopping for were positive. Exasperated, I contacted the editor of the magazine to inquire and to my surprise he actually called me! He explained that all of the boat brands advertised with them so their reviews reflected as such: all positive with something good to say about all of them. He told me to buy a MC or a Nautique, but I couldn't afford them so I went with Moomba.

Anyway, just to prove the point

• Like 2

nailem    29

I have never rides behind either boats so I probably should not chime in but I will.

Are the Ri boats harder to dial in because there is so much more you can tweak?

My old 02' Chevy did not have over seats, two controls: forward/back backrest up or down. It was easy to dial in every time. My new Ram has all kinds of adjustability: up/down, forward/back, tilt seat, lumbar, and so on. When someone moves it, it takes me forever to get it back.

Point is its not necessarily harder to dial in I just have more options. Could the same be said about the Centurion waves vs some others or am I just hi jacking a thread?

rockballer    162

I don't think it was much more. Maybe an extra 5k at my local dealer pricing up here in Canadia. I will have to look into it further on pricing. That's exactly what I have been reading online is that the Centurions are hard to dial in. I have the same issues with my avalanche and it's a complete pain in the tush. For a guy that only spends a maximum of 25 hrs on the water a season it really is a complete crappie show trying to spend a few hours dialing in a system. Just want to press a button and not need to worrie about it. Pretty sure everyone wants that. Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

The M235 was only $5K more? Where are you located? I'm in Calgary and the difference here between a fully loaded Ri and M235 at the boat show last year was over $60K. I think the Ri was around $140 and the M235 was just over $200K.

I'm not a big surfer so maybe not as picky as some but when surfing I changed the surf settings on our G23 the first time out (based on recommendations from guys at planetnautique) and have never touched them since. I haven't surfed a lot of other boats but it's the best I've been behind and it also never matters where people sit. I bought it for the wakeboard wake so surfing was a not as relevant.

If you're in the west Wizard lake gets some pretty good pricing from Nautique (and I think Centurion now). They are the #1 Nautique dealer (by volume) and were able to negotiate some pretty good pricing due to the dollar last year. At that price range I'd make sure to demo them all and make your own decision.

You are correct. It's 200k. Over 50k more. Not comparable. Looking at wrong model at boat show

rockballer    162

I can't not support centurion. My dealer rocks. Here are a few designs. Let me know what you guys think.f08be2aa16a5b231027ca00b99f634bc.jpg