Sign in to follow this  
Trablu

Re-Winterization

Trablu    1

I couldn't help myself, I got drysuits and broke out my 2016 s238 for some winter surfing. It was already winterized once. I have an engine heater and a cabin heater. Do I need to re-winterize? It will get below freezing several weeks this winter, the boat is kept in a nonheated garage with cover on. I have never winterized it myself, but i hate to pay a second time as I will probably surf again this winter. Is there a video or instructions available somewhere to walk me through it? Thanks in advance!!

• Like 1

Cwazy1    89

For your situation where you know you're going to be continuously using it through the freezing winter.. you can.

1. learn to drain your block and do it every time.

2. purchase a bilge heater and run it in your cabin.

Okay now we have the options..

For 1. start with the user manual. It'll show you the drain points on your block as well as your heater and vdrive hoses. What I would recommend if you are to drain after every use would be to install a valve in your heater core so it stays drained. You won't be able to run the heater, but you won't have to blow through that tube.

For 2. there are many choices out there ranging from 200-500$. This would be a good option if you plan on using it all the time and you have your own garage.

CO Surfer    289

It's really not difficult. I'm guessing your boat has blue plugs for the drains on the engine. Just pull all of the plugs after every trip out. Should take about 15 minutes after you've done it once or twice. Most of them are pretty obvious. Just don't forget the v-drive plug. Blowing out the heater lines would be the biggest pain and you can do that with a shop vac. Check out the DIY thread.

What engine do you have? Any engine other than the EX343 will have the blue thumb plugs and the labeled plate to store them in. Just remove all the plugs and place them in there labeled storage location. After you do it once or twice it will go quick. You'll also want to blow the heater core out as that is usual the first to go. I wouldn't risk it if you're having extended periods of sub freezing temperatures.

Trablu    1

Thank yall very much. I am headed back to the lake today. I am pretty sure I do have the EX343 but will check and make sure, haven't thought about the engine in a while. I am currently running the bilge heater and the cabin heater. Do I still need to blow the heater out with these on? Not a big deal, I have a shop vac, just not sure where to access the heater to blow it out. Thanks again!!

Cwazy1    89

Depending on how paranoid you are, or how trusting you are of boat heaters, you may or may not want to blow the heater core out after each use..

To get the most security out of the cabin heater and protect your heater core, I would put the cabin heater close to the water/air heat exchange diffuser itself. This will protect the main part of the heater, which is primarily made of metal components from cracking under water expansion pressures. The tubes that run between the core and engine I would worry less about.

Edited by Cwazy1

MFaso    56

Just put a portable heater in your garage on the days where it's going to be below 30 degrees...:)