MFaso

Let's talk wakesurf boards...

dejoeco    59

Not really. I'm sure my dealer will let me try his personal board but they don't stock boards. No one near me stocks wake surf boards. It's not a HUGE thing here. For example, ALL of my friends and family have been out on the lake with me over the years..Not one of them have ever heard of wake surfing. Actually, only one of my buddies knows about it and it's because I told him about it years ago and we both got into it. Same guy I grew up with surfing and snowboarding. Everyone else has no clue what it is. Stocking boards here is likely going to attract a TON of people but no one is willing to take that risk, yet.

thanks for the info. Mind sharing your weight and height? trying to make sure I'm not listening to some of you guys who are FAR more fit than me. I don't compare to a 21 year old who is at 5'9 and 150lbs or less...lol I'm 5'7 200lbs with a ton of board sport experience but still, I really don't want to waste 700 on a board I can never ride.

Mike

The first questions would be are you committed to surf or skim. All else comes from that. Even if you ride both, you like have a preference. I am a big advocate for P5. A family owned business all made in the USA. They are continuing to improve the surf line, but their skim line is outstanding. I am 5-11 and 195 and ride the Matrix. The matrix is a lot different from the hammerhead because it is a bit more twitchy as I say. loose. Either you like it or you don't. They have a new board called the Hipsta, Real easy to ride and good for a lot of things. Wide rear makes it more difficult to ride revert, but I do it. I use it with one fin, but it comes with three. very fast

MFaso    56

The first questions would be are you committed to surf or skim. All else comes from that. Even if you ride both, you like have a preference. I am a big advocate for P5. A family owned business all made in the USA. They are continuing to improve the surf line, but their skim line is outstanding. I am 5-11 and 195 and ride the Matrix. The matrix is a lot different from the hammerhead because it is a bit more twitchy as I say. loose. Either you like it or you don't. They have a new board called the Hipsta, Real easy to ride and good for a lot of things. Wide rear makes it more difficult to ride revert, but I do it. I use it with one fin, but it comes with three. very fast

Great question. I'm really not sure I've ridden surf boards growing up and I have also skim boarded.(Usually bust my a$$ skim boarding even when I was younger...lol) I'm leaning towards skim because it seems like you have more flexibility on getting all over the wave instead of just staying in 1 spot. I don't think i'll be staying in 1 spot standing there... When I took a lesson a few years back I was on a skim style board and my buddy and I were able to move up and back on the wave and carve it quite a bit. So, I guess skim is probably where I'll be at. It would be nice to have both but new boat $$$ plus these boards is draining me and I'm just looking for a solid first summer before I buy TOO much that I really don't need, and am storing 90% of the time! :)

Great question. I'm really not sure I've ridden surf boards growing up and I have also skim boarded.(Usually bust my a$$ skim boarding even when I was younger...lol) I'm leaning towards skim because it seems like you have more flexibility on getting all over the wave instead of just staying in 1 spot. I don't think i'll be staying in 1 spot standing there... When I took a lesson a few years back I was on a skim style board and my buddy and I were able to move up and back on the wave and carve it quite a bit. So, I guess skim is probably where I'll be at. It would be nice to have both but new boat $$$ plus these boards is draining me and I'm just looking for a solid first summer before I buy TOO much that I really don't need, and am storing 90% of the time! :)

A properly sized surf style board will allow you to move around the wave also. I get just as much mobility on the wave with my skim as I do with my surf. The skim is easier to spin and try to do skateboard style tricks, while the surf can be spun but also allows to carve.

Cwazy1    89

In general, skim style is a lot less traversing the wave. Good skim style waves are mellow and don't have as much of a lip. Skim tricks are much more stationary.

MFaso    56

Looks like I'm going with the Phase 5 model X. Seems to be a good all around board that I can learn on as well as progress on. I was looking at some surf style boards too. Hyperlite seems to have a nice one. I'll wait for now but I'm still not 100% sure what type is going to be best for me. I'm not sure what questions to ask myself to determine it...Do you all ride both?

Just trying to nail another down for my wife and kids. It will be big for the kids but if they get into it I will buy a kid board more their size.(my daughter is 9)

Cwazy1    89

This is going to vary between people and the best answer is going to be to try both styles for a little bit and then decide for yourself.

Personally, I started off learning to wakesurf on a beginner surf style board. Then proceeded to purchase an intermediate level skim (keenan flegal 4skim) and a intermediate level surf (inland sweet spot) board. I grew tired of the skim board due to the fact that I felt it was just not nearly as fun for my intermediate level riding. I much more enjoyed the 'bigger' air maneuvers and less the shuvs and surface tricks. Thus I sold the skim and stuck with the surf for the rest of that season.

Mid way through the following season was when I decided that I had progressed far enough to warrant ordering a custom JS Pro Soulcraft.

I'm going on my third season now riding a surf style board. I have no intentions of switching to skim as there are plenty more surf style tricks I still need to learn.

Do you all ride both?

Edited by Cwazy1

MFaso    56

This is going to vary between people and the best answer is going to be to try both styles for a little bit and then decide for yourself.

Personally, I started off learning to wakesurf on a beginner surf style board. Then proceeded to purchase an intermediate level skim (keenan flegal 4skim) and a intermediate level surf (inland sweet spot) board. I grew tired of the skim board due to the fact that I felt it was just not nearly as fun for my intermediate level riding. I much more enjoyed the 'bigger' air maneuvers and less the shuvs and surface tricks. Thus I sold the skim and stuck with the surf for the rest of that season.

Mid way through the following season was when I decided that I had progressed far enough to warrant ordering a custom JS Pro Soulcraft.

I'm going on my third season now riding a surf style board. I have no intentions of switching to skim as there are plenty more surf style tricks I still need to learn.

Wow, totally different than I would have thought. I really thought all you guys who have been riding were all skim with that little fin, or no fin. I've been on youtube a lot looking and I see the guys getting air and not sure if I should assume I will never ever get air...lol I'm not sure what to expect of myself in all of this. I grew up surfing and snowboarding a LOT and I wakeboarded maybe 20x over 2 summers when I was 17-18. Also tried wakesurfing(I paid someone with a boat) about 2 years ago and loved it. Got up no problem and knew I needed to somehow afford a wake boat one day...lol

The day has come! I guess I'll figure it all out when the boat goes in. My issue is, I don't have THAT many boards to try to see what I'll like. It stinks to have to drop 700 on a board not knowing if I'll like it.

Cwazy1    89

If you look close, most of the active poster riders on this forum who are any decent ride custom surf style boards. I honestly have not seen too many skim style videos and pictures around.

The way I see it:

Surf style = ocean surf and snowboarding

Skim style = skateboarding and obviously ocean skimboarding

If you've snowboarded and surfed the seas before, you'll progress fast.

Edited by Cwazy1
  • Like 1

MFaso    56

If you look close, most of the active poster riders on this forum who are any decent ride custom surf style boards. I honestly have not seen too many skim style videos and pictures around.

The way I see it:

Surf style = ocean surf and snowboarding

Skim style = skateboarding and obviously ocean skimboarding

If you've snowboarded and surfed the seas before, you'll progress fast.

Thanks. that helps a lot. Skimboarding on the beach, I used to fall hard...I don't even know if I'd try it again at this age(I'm 38..haha) The model X is a skim style board but said to be good for both beginners and progressing to intermediate. It's also a board my deal has in stock and basically going to come with the boat and allow me to get a second smaller board for my wife and kids at no cost. So, pretty much 2 boards are coming with the boat, which saves me quite a bit of money. My dealer also has a personal hammerhead that he said I could try.

I'm probably going to stick with these 2 boards and then look for a third that's a surf style board, which will get me a good feel for what I'm going to be into summer #1 with the surf boat.

Would you recommend this board for me as my first surf style board? https://www.inlandsurfer.com/board-shop/sweet-spot I think this is the 2017 but I see the same board on youtube as the 2015... I'm 5'7, 200lbs. I saw another by hyperlite that looked nice. So many choices.....ugh

Cwazy1    89

Can't argue with free. Thats a great way to start honing in what you like to ride.

IMO, I'd never purchase a new inland surfer product. Heres why

1. they're all quite expensive, usually in the 600+ range

2. they're all produced in southeast asia in factories using epoxy sandwich methods. The same method that MUCH cheaper boards are made with.

3. because of this method of manufacturing, they're all really heavy

4. because they're heavy, they're really not very performant

5. IS does the best marketing and want you to believe that their product is the best. Its the best for mass market joe blows who want to try surfing on their 20 year old bayliner.

The one you linked is the 2015. One of my crew had that 2015 board and I had the 2012 sweet spot. (I lost mine when it flew off the bimini board holder at night last season)

Now... the reason I had it was beacause I got mine on craigslist for 250$, a price that I deem would be fair for such a board.

If you were looking at brand new sweet spots, they deprecated the normal sweet spot and only sell new sweet spot PROs. They run in the 850$ range, which is insane btw... But for the sake of comparison, lets say you want to budget ~600$ for a surf style. I'd go with a doomswell, or a brigade. Those will run in the mid 600's and will be half the weight of the inland, and also double the performance.

What would I do? When the time comes, don't even bother trying to buy a new 'intermediate grade' (ie. inland surfer, phase5, etc.) surf style. Pick up something in the 300-400$ brand new range, such as a slingshot gnarwhal, ronix powertail, or a cwb. These are budget prices but quite performant. And use it as a beginner board/learning board. If you like it, jump up to a custom board after a season. The other option I recommend would be to prowl your local craigslist for a used 'intermediate grade' surf style board for the same budget of around 300$. Don't be too afraid of dings on a used board. Solarez repair epoxy fixes everything.

Would you recommend this board for me as my first surf style board? https://www.inlandsurfer.com/board-shop/sweet-spot I think this is the 2017 but I see the same board on youtube as the 2015... I'm 5'7, 200lbs. I saw another by hyperlite that looked nice. So many choices.....ugh

Edited by Cwazy1

MFaso    56

Thanks! I'm copy and pasting to check those out now! I haven't seen many in the 300-400 price range so that's great!

Ok, so sidebar question...My boat stays in the lake all summer. Do you all bring the boards to the car every time you go out? I "think" the S238 had some key locks but I'm really not sure. My marina is generally safe but you never know who is watching you pack up every single weekend. Wouldn't be hard to see someone putting their stuff away and covering the boat. I've never had anything taken from my boat but now I'm wondering with possibly 2k in boards sitting in there one day...

Cwazy1    89

The new one is expensive, but there are still plenty of 2016 holdovers... this is the board that two of my friends have. Both are intermediate surfers who didn't want to shell out a ton of money before going custom order:

http://www.wakehouse.com/products/slingshot-gnarwhal-wakesurf-board-2016.html?dfw_tracker=10071-5914-0000&gclid=Cj0KEQiAot_FBRCqt8jVsoDKoZABEiQAqFL76Hwmtv0GaHKN-MEV9GHUwMswsf8iLtaT53N1wXB3IMoaAvik8P8HAQ

The cobra cat is also another good one.. not as much drive as the gharwhal, but a good board for a more 'active' rider. Also a bit cheaper:

http://www.wakehouse.com/products/slingshot-cobra-cat-wakesurf-board-2016.html

I also am in a marina for 6 months during the summer season. I do trust that the live a boards in the marina are good people who keep an eye out (they called me once last season telling me my boat was sinking.. that was the day I had 300 pounds of lead on the starboard side and the boat was listed over just sitting there).

The only board I leave in there is my junker I let the n00bs ride. Its worth maybe 50$. I NEVER leave any nice boards in the boat. I have board bags with shoulder straps and just sling them around and bring them home. When you get high end boards that weigh less than 2 pounds, its not really that bad to carry them around. Just need to be careful with them as any contact with a hard surface will leave a ding.

Thanks! I'm copy and pasting to check those out now! I haven't seen many in the 300-400 price range so that's great!

Ok, so sidebar question...My boat stays in the lake all summer. Do you all bring the boards to the car every time you go out? I "think" the S238 had some key locks but I'm really not sure. My marina is generally safe but you never know who is watching you pack up every single weekend. Wouldn't be hard to see someone putting their stuff away and covering the boat. I've never had anything taken from my boat but now I'm wondering with possibly 2k in boards sitting in there one day...

Edited by Cwazy1

InfinitySurf    302

Surf style....Doomswell is the way to go. yes, they msrp for $675....but right now they have some "blemish" boards on doomswell.com that are $400. They have a "Sparkplug", which is perfect for beginner to intermediate since a little wider and more stable and they also have some "Drone" boards why are a hybrid model. Still mainly a surf style, just has slightly harder lines from middle to back.

This gets you into a custom board for the same price as the entry level boards. Hard to go wrong at that price for that quality board.

I just bought the 2017 Doomswell "Neo"....Its a more aggresive board and expect to get it later this week sometime. Even got it and a custom bag, both in colors that match my boat! ANY higher end board you get you gotta be careful of extreme heat (why I got the bag)....you dont wanna carry it all day on top of bimini sure pockets as its can end up bubbling or blistering. Anyway...my .02

MFaso    56

Surf style....Doomswell is the way to go. yes, they msrp for $675....but right now they have some "blemish" boards on doomswell.com that are $400. They have a "Sparkplug", which is perfect for beginner to intermediate since a little wider and more stable and they also have some "Drone" boards why are a hybrid model. Still mainly a surf style, just has slightly harder lines from middle to back.

This gets you into a custom board for the same price as the entry level boards. Hard to go wrong at that price for that quality board.

I just bought the 2017 Doomswell "Neo"....Its a more aggresive board and expect to get it later this week sometime. Even got it and a custom bag, both in colors that match my boat! ANY higher end board you get you gotta be careful of extreme heat (why I got the bag)....you dont wanna carry it all day on top of bimini sure pockets as its can end up bubbling or blistering. Anyway...my .02

Any chance they compare to the slingshot gnarwhal? I love the look of the 2017. the NEO and the sparkplug are nice too and in the same price range. Now I'm trying to find the differences. the slingshot gnarwhal has fins that require NO tools. That's huge, I think...

Cdifranco    463

Any chance they compare to the slingshot gnarwhal? I love the look of the 2017. the NEO and the sparkplug are nice too and in the same price range. Now I'm trying to find the differences. the slingshot gnarwhal has fins that require NO tools. That's huge, I think...

If you want a Doomswell let me know, send me a PM. I'll get you in touch with Brock the owner. Boards are the best I've ridden and he hands down takes care of his customers. I've tried almost every board out there and keep going back to the NEO

Worst case I'll sell you one of mine as I keep accumulating 3 new ones a year!

Edited by Cdifranco

MFaso    56

If you want a Doomswell let me know, send me a PM. I'll get you in touch with Brock the owner. Boards are the best I've ridden and he hands down takes care of his customers. I've tried almost every board out there and keep going back to the NEO

Will that change the price? right now the gnarwal is cheaper. If he can cut a deal, I'll go with it. If not, I'm leaning towards the gnar right now based on the color matching my boat and the price being cheaper... ;)

What do you weigh? I don't know the weights on the NEO. I don't see specs for weight on his site, which is making me look elsewhere cause I'm buying even more blind.

Cdifranco    463

Will that change the price? right now the gnarwal is cheaper. If he can cut a deal, I'll go with it. If not, I'm leaning towards the gnar right now based on the color matching my boat and the price being cheaper... ;)

What do you weigh? I don't know the weights on the NEO. I don't see specs for weight on his site, which is making me look elsewhere cause I'm buying even more blind.

I am 5'8 165, and ride a 4'5" Custom neo, or a standard 4'6. Majority of my friends are heavier than I am and also have no issues at all riding either of them, my heaviest friend is 220 and can ride it also ropeless, granted he is a good surfer and in reality you shouldn't be on a board that small. At 200 like him I put him on a 4'10. They make multiple sizes. I even have a 5'0 Nubstep that shreds.

I can't say what he'd do on price but as everyone know it never hurts to know someone. Give him a call, tell him Chris D sent you and he will spend time on the phone with you breaking down what you should be getting for your riding style, ability and price. I know like others said they had some blem boards for cheap and honestly you can't even tell the blem.

Cwazy1    89

If you can get a blem doomswell for anywhere in the 400's, take it. Forget about the gnarwhal if you're comparing to a doomswell with the same price.

EDIT: just checked the doomswell blem page. I'd go with one of these. Keep in mind though... these are going to be a bit more fragile than say.. a gharwhal.

Edited by Cwazy1

MFaso    56

fragile as in, it will ding like a surfboard?