MFaso

Let's talk wakesurf boards...

MFaso    56

So I'm sure some of you saw my other post that I have a 2017 S238 on the way. Thanks for all the help on that. I was overwhelmed by the support and responses. This forum seems like a huge part of the Supreme wake surfing community and I'm glad I found you all!

I'll keep it short...

My dealer is a Phase 5 dealer. There are some promotions going on now when buying a new Supreme before Christmas where I will end up with 2 boards free. One will be for me, OF COURSE...and the second will be for my wife and kids.

I'm 5'7, 200lbs(I know I'm a fat tush...lol) I've been ocean surfing since I was little and snowboarding as well. I can ride a skateboard, Ollie and some basic stuff but I'm best on a snowboard. It's been a few seasons but I can hit some decent jumps, C rails and 360s off average hits. 180s without jumps are simple for me as well.

Not sure what board to go with. I'd like to do more than carve but I don't want to spend another 700 on a board next year. I also don't want to start with a board that won't work for me as a beginner. Anyone have any phase 5 suggestions?

My wife is 5'5 120.(I married up...lol) She is agile but most likely will always carve only. I don't see her caring to even try a 180.

I see surf style, skim style and long boards...Then there's a pooh ton of boards that fall into those categories. fish tail. flat tail, pointed tail...then fin options? I'm lost on what's the best for me so I don't need to waste money buying boards I'll never use, or can't use.

Let me know what you all think.

Mike

stoked    1,039

I'm sure there will be lots more to add by others, but here's my two cents, the wife and I demoed some Phase5s for a week this past summer:

I'm 6'4" 205 and regularly ride an Inland Surfer Big Boy Flyboy, (BBFB) which I'm trading in for a Soulcraft this winter. I demoed the Wire and the Swell. I may be the outlier here, but I actually didn't like either any better than my BBFB. I actually found them a little sluggish in comparison. I did however love the square nose on them and they're super light. Had I started out on either of them, I'd probably be saying the same about the BBFB, so to me there wasn't a real lot of difference. Especially not a difference to justify the price of either of them over a custom board. My wife, 5'9" 140 (or so her license says) absolutely loved the Swell. She's currently on a Soulcraft and actually preferred the Swell over it. It floated her a little better which helped her tear it up heelside. All of these boards are surf style. As an ocean surfer myself, this is probably where you're going to want to be.

We also demoed (and bought) the Model X Skim. With the skim fin on it is sheer joy. Squat down while riding in the trough and grab the water, it's hard to stop spinning. If you've never skimmed, it's a lot difference. You're not going to cut as much or as hard and jumping is a little difference. PS, I didn't tell her I bought this board, and only take it out when she's not going out. I feel really bad about this, so it is currently up for sale (in the classifieds). Please, for the love of God, nobody tell her I bought that board... :sofa:

We have a longboard, a Liquid Force Noserider. I'm putting it up for sale this winter. I mainly bought a longboard because I thought it would be easier to teach new riders on and it turns out to actually be harder. It's way to floaty and teaches bad foot placement because you can't bury the nose to save your life. My recommendation on a longboard is only buy one when you're advanced enough that you're bored with regular surfing. Longboards are a BLAST to screw around on.

My two cents.

DrNate    426

I can't really speak as to Phase 5 boards in particular because I have only ridden one and it was a "skim style" board. I liked it, don't get me wrong, but I am more of a "surf style" guy, which brings me to my point.

Yes, there are some hybrid boards out there but generally speaking you need to decide if you want a skim or surf style. If you grew up mostly skating and are wanting to do surface tricks, surface 3's, etc. and like the feel of a loose board, skim is the way to go. If you grew up ocean surfing like me and are used to a more bouyant type board for carving and airs, hard turning maneuvers, etc. then surf style is the way to go.

Generally speaking you get what you pay for. I've been through about 15 different surfboards and my favorite is the one that I had custom made for me after riding so many different ones. It's a Soulcraft. But I'm not sure if this last part helps you much.

If your dealer will let you demo some boards, that would definitely be the way to go. I have never had such a luxury

Cwazy1    89

Is the 2 free boards promotion something that your dealer is running specifically? the only thing I've heard from my local guy is a 300$ credit to order whatever I'd like on supremeboats.com

MFaso    56

It's 300 in apparel... Clothes and stuff... 750 in water sports gear(which is where he said he can get me 2 boards) and 3500 off the boat price if you sign before Dec 31st. Your dealer may need to call and get the info from them. He is off a bit. Their website talked about it but doesn't give exact amounts. I'm pretty sure it mentions the 3500 though...

stoked    1,039

You'll be lucky to get a single Phase 5 board for $750

MFaso    56

You'll be lucky to get a single Phase 5 board for $750

I thought the same but since the dealer is phase 5, he will get them at cost and probably not make money off me on the boards. I'm sure the markup on boards is a couple hundred. Surf and snow boards are the same way. Markups are pretty big. If he can pull it off then I'm not asking questions. My dealer has been good to me so far. It hasn't been cutthroat working the deal and I hope I can return the favor and refer people his way moving forward.

Tonykeck    4

Phase 5 hammerhead best skim style I've ridden,for me the lack of pin tail style nose is awesome and upped my shuv it game 10 fold plus fast and light, this coming from inland surfer and ronix so just my 2 cents!!

Nikj    2

I'm 5'7" 230 and ride a few Phase Fives

I had both the Flyboy and the Big Boy Flyboy

I never got comfortable with my short legs on the BBFB and would pearl the flyboy at my size

I also had a trident and then got a new one with the new tail design and didn't like how slow it had become

Currently I have a

57" Wire fun surf style

62" Kong longboard

and 57" Drew Diamond good skimmer and put a smaller skim fin on

I probably ended up riding the Kong the most last year it is surprisingly nimble for such a big board

MFaso    56

I'm 5'7" 230 and ride a few Phase Fives

I had both the Flyboy and the Big Boy Flyboy

I never got comfortable with my short legs on the BBFB and would pearl the flyboy at my size

I also had a trident and then got a new one with the new tail design and didn't like how slow it had become

Currently I have a

57" Wire fun surf style

62" Kong longboard

and 57" Drew Diamond good skimmer and put a smaller skim fin on

I probably ended up riding the Kong the most last year it is surprisingly nimble for such a big board

Thanks. I'll check into those. Really trying to find something that lasts me more than 1 season without wanting to buy another type of board. :)

bluesman280    99

We have a few phase 5 boards in the boat. The Google is a skim style up to I believe 225 lbs. Small enough for our lighter riders, capable of a few tricks, but we found it a little squirrelly and added a little bigger fin to stabilize it. I am 245 lbs and settled in with a longer Trident, which is currently my favorite board. we also have a Drew Diamond which my kids and their buddies seem to enjoy and they are around 200lbs. I have surfed all 3 boards over the last few years and have really settled in with the Trident. A little shorter Trident suited to your weight would be my recommendation. Haven't tried the wire but had also thought about trying g one of those next year.

• Like 1

Kalidgh    37

My boat board is a Phase 5 Oogle. Personal is a Phase 5 Daniello Diamond. Kids are on the Phase 5 Scamp

Oogle is a great starter transition board

MFaso    56

My boat board is a Phase 5 Oogle. Personal is a Phase 5 Daniello Diamond. Kids are on the Phase 5 Scamp

Oogle is a great starter transition board

What weight and sized is the Oogle good for? :)

Darkside    248

I normally ride a soul craft, but this last summer I got to ride a P5 hammerhead a few times, very fun board. It's funny because boards are so different, my SC is like a slot car, fast, agile, and LOCKED IN! The P5 is like a Camero with bald tires on ice! Completely opposites, both extremely fun. So it really depends on what you are wanting to do at the time.

Darkside    248

Is demoing boards and option?

Edited by Darkside

MFaso    56

Is demoing boards and option?

Not really. I'm sure my dealer will let me try his personal board but they don't stock boards. No one near me stocks wake surf boards. It's not a HUGE thing here. For example, ALL of my friends and family have been out on the lake with me over the years..Not one of them have ever heard of wake surfing. Actually, only one of my buddies knows about it and it's because I told him about it years ago and we both got into it. Same guy I grew up with surfing and snowboarding. Everyone else has no clue what it is. Stocking boards here is likely going to attract a TON of people but no one is willing to take that risk, yet.

thanks for the info. Mind sharing your weight and height? trying to make sure I'm not listening to some of you guys who are FAR more fit than me. I don't compare to a 21 year old who is at 5'9 and 150lbs or less...lol I'm 5'7 200lbs with a ton of board sport experience but still, I really don't want to waste 700 on a board I can never ride.

Mike

Cwazy1    89

This depends on what model board you have, not the manufacture per se. A Soulcraft skim board would feel much more similar to the P5 Hammerhead. Whereas a Soulcraft surf style board would only be comparable to other surf style boards.

I normally ride a soul craft, but this last summer I got to ride a P5 hammerhead a few times, very fun board. It's funny because boards are so different, my SC is like a slot car, fast, agile, and LOCKED IN! The P5 is like a Camero with bald tires on ice! Completely opposites, both extremely fun. So it really depends on what you are wanting to do at the time.

Cwazy1    89

You could try and find boards at EVO or amazon and return them if you don't like it. Not sure if you're morally ethical enough to do that though, haha!

Not really. I'm sure my dealer will let me try his personal board but they don't stock boards. No one near me stocks wake surf boards. It's not a HUGE thing here. For example, ALL of my friends and family have been out on the lake with me over the years..Not one of them have ever heard of wake surfing. Actually, only one of my buddies knows about it and it's because I told him about it years ago and we both got into it. Same guy I grew up with surfing and snowboarding. Everyone else has no clue what it is. Stocking boards here is likely going to attract a TON of people but no one is willing to take that risk, yet.

thanks for the info. Mind sharing your weight and height? trying to make sure I'm not listening to some of you guys who are FAR more fit than me. I don't compare to a 21 year old who is at 5'9 and 150lbs or less...lol I'm 5'7 200lbs with a ton of board sport experience but still, I really don't want to waste 700 on a board I can never ride.

Mike

MFaso    56

You could try and find boards at EVO or amazon and return them if you don't like it. Not sure if you're morally ethical enough to do that though, haha!

If it doesn't work and I return it the same way I got it then sure...lol I see no problem there. If it says it's rated for me but sucks, I have no problem returning it. That's legit! ;)

I am 5'11" and 220 and I have owned and ridden IS and P5 boards. My current boards are a P5 Danielo Diamond 57 inch (skim), a P5 Race 53.5 inch (surf), a P5 Race 56.5 inch (surf), a P5 Icon (kids skim), and a IS Tako (hybrid skim/surf). My next board will likely be a P5 Hammerhead 53 inch.

The DD is an awesome responsive board that is also very forgiving, it comes with a 1 inch fin and can be very loose. I swapped a 2 inch fin onto it for awhile and once I got used to the board I went back to the 1 inch fin. It spins easy and has nice rails that allow for carving as well.

The Race is a sweet surf style board with twin fins. It is fast and responsive and is very light so it boosts for airs easily.

The Icon is the next size up from the P5 Scamp and is a great all around skim style board for kids and small adults to learn on. It is light and easy to ride. I can even ride it myself ropeless, but I have to be careful not to carve aggressively or I get spit out the back since I am way over its weight limit.

The Tako was the first board I ever bought and it remains the Boat board for beginners to learn on. The board closest to it in the P5 line I would think is the Oogle.

My wife also rides (5'5" 120 also) and her favorite board is the P5 Diamond Luv, that will be a purchase this year I am sure but friends have one so it hasn't been on the top of the acquisition list.