Sign in to follow this  
luluzer

6.0 at elevation?

luluzer    50

Anybody have any experience running the 6.0 at elevation with weight? My lake is about 6000' Trading up my 2012 V226 (with the 350) for a 2017 (not sure which model yet) due to power issues i was having with the 350 when weighted. Wondering if anyone has run the 409 at elevation, and if so would you recommend spending the extra $10k on the H6 or is the 409 enough?

Thanks all

bprobertson    8

My lake is around 6000 ft as well. I don't have experience with the 409, but ive had a supposedly close to equivalent with the old Black Scorpion in a sv240 and we always had power issues. Additionally, my 2015 fs44 has the 450, and it kind of struggles when we have a big crew. I don't have quick surf, but if i did, i don't think the 450 at elevation could push it. I have upgraded my prop as well. I would spend for a bigger motor for sure if it were me...

luluzer    50

Thank you kind sir - you confirmed my suspicions although now you have me worried if the 450 will be enough. Wife is always on me to add more weight, are the sacks full? Guess i better Break Out Another Thou (9 of them actually), or move to a lower lake. Kinda like being at the top of the shed tho. Appreciate the info.

Cdifranco    463

Thank you kind sir - you confirmed my suspicions although now you have me worried if the 450 will be enough. Wife is always on me to add more weight, are the sacks full? Guess i better Break Out Another Thou (9 of them actually), or move to a lower lake. Kinda like being at the top of the shed tho. Appreciate the info.

I don't know you but your wife is a damn good lady....

• Like 1

I have a 2016 S238 with the 450 HP H6DI engine and we live and boat at 5200 ft in Colorado. It is awesome. If anything, it has too much torque. I had to learn to NOT give it full throttle when pulling my 200 lb son up on a surf board or on a slalom ski.

bprobertson    8

Someone might be able to confirm, but I think a new 238 would come with the a different tranny ratio than what i have, which should make the H6 more than adequate. I think mine is 1:1.42 and if memory serves me correct, they may have moved to 1:1.72. You will be fine with the 450/H6. Good luck with the purchase.

luluzer    50

Thank you for the information gentlemen. Its an intimidating process to pick a boat, but an amazing wave is worth the effort. Enjoy the waves next Spring . . .

Bongo Fury    640

The spec sheet on the Black Scorpion 350 in my Falcon V said it was 330HP. My Falcon was a 21 ft boat. I found it hard to believe they put the same engine in a 240. When I bought my 233 we upgraded to the 409 and the difference to me was remarkable and to me worth every penny of the upgrade. Others have differeing opinions and you can find a number of threads on this topic. I can't speak to elevation but do know you can't go wrong with more power.

CO Surfer    289

Luluzer, we're on the same lake. I run an H5 with the 1.72:1 v drive. I have no issues with my SV233 but I also list it and have a small crew (only 3-5 of us). Honestly, I'm pretty sure you would be fine with the 409 unless you're planning crazy ballast/crew sizes.

I have tried it with Ramfill full on both sides with the QuickSurf and it definitely works harder but it still pulled with no issues.

Edited by CO Surfer