MFaso

About to buy a 2017 S238...I have some questions

MFaso    56

Update!!

The deal is seed! Super excited... Winter is going to feel like a lifetime! The dealer offered me a few things to sweeten the deal. Part of it was choosing between the below...

Either:

1) he would cover the wakemakers package including installation. He said he wanted to show me stock was perfectly fine first but if I chose this he would take care of it after we surfed it stock...value is somewhere around 1200 to 1300 installed...

Or:

2) first maintenance, after 25 hours and then winterizing it including shrink wrap. Value is about the same as #1.

Still undecided. My wife says winterizing is what we should choose for now because he is saying I'm going to be really happy with the stock setup. Especially my first summer. Then maybe we can look into upgrades as we progress the following year, if we need it...

Any thoughts? Can't wait to share pictures and my experiences with you guys.

Thanks!

Mike

gwiz    23

Where do you plan on storing the boat for the winter? Shrink wrap can turn I into a moldy mess if the boat isnt perfectly dry inside.

stoked    1,039

I would go with the wakemakers package, it's long term value even if you don't use it. You have something tangible that can also help with resale.

MFaso    56

I store it outside in my yard. I always shrink wrapped my boats. There's nothing better for winter storage. My boats look brand new inside year after year. They should be putting moisture bags inside when they shrink it. If not then they don't know what they are doing.

Thw wakemakers package sounds nice but it's not a necessity. Winterization is so that's our thinking...

DjOM21    59

Maybe take the Winterization (unless you plan to do it yourself, its fairly easy) and 25 Hour Service.

If you are buying the boat for sure snag 1100lb Bags from wakemakers during the black Friday event that is on till Monday then grab 400lb in lead and put 200 under each side seat in lieu of the piggyback system. This also allows you to maintain your storage. You could also just swap lead surf side to surfside side and order less to save money (250#). 1100# Bags are what is being recommended to me by three dealers, then after all this if your wave still ain't where you want it you still have your stock 550#s to throw on seats and fill for that thigh high Fineline rip curl.

Wakemakers 1100 @ $179x2 = 360

400# of POP $375 Shipped = 375

= $735 and $500 ahead over the dealers set up with storage for yer fishing rods you can take the whole set up with you when you sell / trade.

^^^^^ This is what I will do if I make the jump into the 238 I am eyeing up.

I scoped the 238 Yesterday - I like everything except the unlabeled switches, exposed piping under the helm and non hidden hinges on the glove box. Also they need to have a better solution for getting from the water back into the boat. The walk through is poorly executed IMO and something like the old Enzo with the HDPE under the hatch cover and a little rubberized step under the starboard seat would work well. All in all the 238 reminded me a lot of my EnZo and that is a good thing.

Edited by DjOM21

MFaso    56

The switches were all labeled that I saw. I didn't notice hinges or no hinges.

I would never put something on my seats Or floor to add weight. That's a waste of space. The boat will surf stock out of the box so I'm really not looking for anything crazy season 1. If I can surf with just my family in the boat, I'll be really happy. I'm not expecting to get air or even pull a 360...lol I'm 37. I really just want to surf like I did at the Jersey shore when I was young minus the endless paddling and getting smashed by waves just to hope you catch one in that doesn't take you out... Lol

Cdifranco    463

I would never put something on my seats Or floor to add weight. That's a waste of space. The boat will surf stock out of the box so I'm really not looking for anything crazy season 1. If I can surf with just my family in the boat, I'll be really happy. I'm not expecting to get air or even pull a 360...lol I'm 37. I really just want to surf like I did at the Jersey shore when I was young minus the endless paddling and getting smashed by waves just to hope you catch one in that doesn't take you out... Lol

Get the bags and save yourself the work in the future.

stoked    1,039

X2, do the work now. You 100% will want it next season, it becomes a disease "how can I make a bigger wave?"

stoked    1,039

Where do you live at now? I'm down in MD (I'm also 37, but I started surfing in DE)

MFaso    56

Where do you live at now? I'm down in MD (I'm also 37, but I started surfing in DE)

Still in Jersey. Have a place down in seaside heights but I live up in north Jersey about 20 minutes from the lake I keep my boat at. Wakesurfing will be 20 minutes away ALL summer. We spend all of our free time on the boat. :)

stoked    1,039

Still in Jersey. Have a place down in seaside heights but I live up in north Jersey about 20 minutes from the lake I keep my boat at. Wakesurfing will be 20 minutes away ALL summer. We spend all of our free time on the boat. :)

Who's your dealer? South Shore?

MFaso    56

Yep!!

stoked    1,039

Yep!!

They used to be on here a pretty decent amount, haven't seen them much this summer though. If you haven't already, search the forums here for dialing in a 238, every one of them are going to have non-stock configurations.

Personally in my boat my only non-stock is lead. We usually only have myself, wife, and 18 month old daughter in the boat, so the lead makes up for my lack of people ballast. It's easy to move, hide, and remove from the boat and runs around $50 for 50lbs.

Do you have to decide now? Might be good to get out on it next season and then decide before the 25 hour maintenance.

MFaso    56

I don't have to decide now, no. I could get out there with the dealer and then decide later. the dealer prefers I wait because he wants to prove how surfable out of the box it is before any upgrades anyway, and I do appreciate that.

I have my wife and 2 kids(5 and 9). My wife is about 120 and my kids are maybe 40 and 50 pounds.(maybe) They are all stick figures...lol That's ok though, if he is going to prove its fine out of the box with just us then that's all I want.

Thanks!

Mike

Cdifranco    463

I don't have to decide now, no. I could get out there with the dealer and then decide later. the dealer prefers I wait because he wants to prove how surfable out of the box it is before any upgrades anyway, and I do appreciate that.

I have my wife and 2 kids(5 and 9). My wife is about 120 and my kids are maybe 40 and 50 pounds.(maybe) They are all stick figures...lol That's ok though, if he is going to prove its fine out of the box with just us then that's all I want.

Thanks!

Mike

Who wants just fine? You're buying the Ferrari of surf boats but getting Hyundai ballast options.. sure it'll surf just fine out of the box but again who wants just fine? If those on this site wanted just fine we'd say save 15k and buy a moomba

My .002

• Like 2

MFaso    56

Moomba is more of a wake boat. Supreme is built as a surf boat. I've been researching like crazy and making calls up and down the east coast and the Moomba isn't really built for wakesurfing. It's just not comparable. The same for the S238. The wakeboarding wake isn't going to be as good as the Moomba's...but for me...the wakeboarding wake is a huge upgrade from my last boat, which wasn't a tow boat.

Just fine for season 1 is "just fine" for me. I'll be super happy to be able to just surf and see my 9 year old surfing solo as well. That's a huge step for me.

-Mike

Nick213    583

Mike,

A "just fine" wave seems great for you at this moment in time but after surfing for probably a half a season it will get boring. Ask me how I know ;)

I guess what everyone is getting at is it's better to grow into a good surf wave rather then grow outta the wave and be upgrading later. Why not just have the best wave you can get right out the box?

I say take them up on the ballast upgrade, and pay for the winterizing. If your ordering the boat it should come with a shipping cover.

Cdifranco    463

By the time your 9 year old is 11 he/she will be bored with "just fine". upgrade the ballast!!!

• Like 1

Bongo Fury    640

So we bought a lake house in 2008 then needed a boat. I really liked the Falcon V and bought one. Loved it!!! Shortly thereafter I discovered this site. Then discovered surfing. With the help of the Crew we had that Falcon V slammed and surfing really well but wanted more. We then upgraded to the SV233 with the idea of an awesome wave and no extra weight. That was ok until a month or so after we had the boat and we threw a 400 on the seat for the first time. Wave went from good to epic. Still tweaking and finding ways to improve it. The endless quest for the perfect wave!

• Like 2