airwarror

2011 enzo 240 high pitch noise when cruising

airwarror    0

wondering if anyone would know what would be causing a high pitch squeal only at about 5mph to 7 mph coming from the engine bay.??

stoked    1,039

Have you checked the belt?

DrNate    426

Have you checked the belt?

X2. Your best bet

Cdifranco    463

You do not want that belt to shred, picking up the pieces is an entire summer project. Ask me how I know!

airwarror    0

No have not checked belt yet , but I will be thanks

stoked    1,039

No have not checked belt yet , but I will be thanks

Look for any wear whatsoever, also check if the outside looks shiny, if so it can be a sign of rubbing against something.

What engine do you have? I have the 409 and just replaced my belt cover under warranty. The cover bolts backed out over time and it fell on the belt by the alternator. What was a slight squeak at slow speeds was actually the belt and one of the pulleys cutting through the plastic cover. My dealer said two others have already come in with the exact same problem. They gave me a new cover, belt, and pulley under warranty and I put them on when winterizing.

Honestly they are cheap enough and easy enough for any moderate DIYer to change, piece of mind may be worth it to just swap it. Otherwise you can end up like cdifranco...

daz28iroc    73

I get a high pitched tone / whistle. Pretty sure it the intake most likely has to do with position of the throttle blade in the throttle body. Most every vehicle out there has baffles built into the intake to remove this whistle / tone

airwarror    0

yep i have the 409 . I will be checking the belt for sure . I was also talking to a buddy about the extra water that seems to be in the boat . He asked when the last time i greased the prop bearing shaft that is under the engine. That could be the squeal to i guess . Have not grease it in couple years .

N8 Froelich    12

Depending on the hours on your engine these serpentine belts last a very long time. IMO belt failure is usually due to something else. A bad pully or as Stoked said something rubbing on it. If you don't see anything obvious remove the belt and spin the tensioner and idler pulleys by had to see if the bearings feel rough or loose. With cars a failing water pump can make a ton of noise, not are on the sea water pump. Just some ideas from my mechanic days.

Cdifranco    463

Depending on the hours on your engine these serpentine belts last a very long time. IMO belt failure is usually due to something else. A bad pully or as Stoked said something rubbing on it. If you don't see anything obvious remove the belt and spin the tensioner and idler pulleys by had to see if the bearings feel rough or loose. With cars a failing water pump can make a ton of noise, not are on the sea water pump. Just some ideas from my mechanic days.

I agree, my belt didn't start squeaking till 260 hours, mine ended up being because the idiot at the Marina who winterized my boat snapped one of three bolts off the pulley that didn't need to be removed so it was wobbling for probably half the summer before it snapped.