DrNate    426

Haha, I haven't posted this one in awhile

post-1251-0-73404600-1477690777_thumb.jpg

Edited by DrNate
  • Like 4

are you not the same guy who gave us a public service warning about ballast install and overweighting our boats ? now advocating to tow with a receiver not rated for the load and an undersized vehicle you my friend crack me up. Im done with this post I gave my opinion you gave yours we will have to agree to disagree and the op can weight options and make a choice that works for them.

One could potentially overweight the boat with my ballast setup and extra people, but that is done at the users risk. My tow vehicle IS rated for the load and tows it awesome. Plus there hasn't been a logical case made that the 3/4 ton would stop any quicker and it's possible that it will stop slower.

Quick math...spend $45,000 on a new 3/4 ton vehicle. 500/year avg taxes, 100/year registration 1200/year repairs and maintenance, 600/year for offsite storage if you don't have a place to park a second vehicle. Say a 30 year old buys this and let's use a long term growth rate of 8% for what the money otherwise could be used for. Retire at 65. Works out to $1,078,900. That's only if the truck lasts 35 years.

Will I sacrifice $1.1+ Million at the normal "retirement" age in order to say I have a vehicle that under certain hypothetical circumstances has a possibility that it could potentially stop quicker if certain hypothetical untested assumptions prove to be true. No, I'll drive the vehicle I have that's fully rated to tow the load and keep the million bucks. That's all I'm saying. LOL

Edited by Race City Marine
  • Like 1

Good spirited debate boys! At least we can all agree that Trump would be a super awesome president...

He would tow his boat to the lake under his helicopter. Find the towing specs on that!

DjOM21    59

I think a tow boat are a relativity easy pull as they are fairly aerodynamic, have dual axles and have good brakes. But they are starting to get much bigger and sit much higher on their trailers.

Modern 1/2 Ton trucks produce the same amount of power as the diesel from 10 - 15 years ago and a Eco Boost engine is similar to a small diesel power plant. So I guess the difference goes to Payload, Transmission, Suspension and Brakes. Obviously a HD vehicle will have all those in spades.

During the summer I trailer around 6000KM back and forth to the lakes with a lot of those runs through mountains, windy single lane roads etc. So for me it a 1 ton Diesel, overkill, maybe a bit - but love that 400hp and 800 ft/lb of torque at half the RPM range of a Gasser. The towing is amazing. Plus with the costs of these new 1/2 tons, why not step into a used Diesel for similar or less money? I have had them both and diesel = real truck. Plus I think these bigger trucks just look better hooked up to these big boats.

The other benefit of these big trucks is that as these boats get bigger and heavier and we get lucky enough to maybe afford them - you will need the extra grunt - especially if you have mountains to contend with.

chenige    83

Friction= coefficient of friction x normal force(weight)

The heavier the weight pushing down on the tire the more it can slow down the vehicle without locking up. That is why the heavier duty trucks have huge brakes.

At one time I lab validated chevy truck brake systems. They get huge on the HDs.

Copenglenn    44

On another note, does anyone own a BMW X5d? I've often looked at them and wondered if they would be up to the task. I know what the BMW guys say, but does it match up with what the boat guys say....

So a 1500 or SUV will out stop/handle a 7000 + lb load over a 2500? Not in my experience.

Most boats tow well bc the load on the trailer is well balanced, not saying you need a 3/4 ton diesel if the heaviest thing you pull is a boat. However the power, suspension, and braking is a huge plus for people that tow often (not 5 miles to the ramp twice a year) and up steep grades.

Also resale on a diesel right now is ridiculously high.

Edited by 1HELLUVALIFE
  • Like 1

Shaka    146

So a 1500 or SUV will out stop/handle a 7000 + lb load over a 2500? Not in my experience.

Most boats tow well bc the load on the trailer is well balanced, not saying you need a 3/4 ton diesel if the heaviest thing you pull is a boat. However the power, suspension, and braking is a huge plus for people that tow often (not 5 miles to the ramp twice a year) and up steep grades.

Also resale on a diesel right now is ridiculously high.

No one said this. Of course a larger truck will tow better. The question is whether it's unsafe to tow with a smaller vehicle. The answer is that a 1/2 ton will tow safely if the driver doesn't drive like an idiot.

• Like 2

Stretch    409

post-6643-14780218320498_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

CO Surfer    289

THAT ^^^^ has to be one of the top 5 posts I've seen on this site!*

*From a comical perspective.

Edited by CO Surfer

stoked    1,042

Stretch came back from a hiatus just to post that. How's the house (and now wife?) going buddy?

DjOM21    59

On another note, does anyone own a BMW X5d? I've often looked at them and wondered if they would be up to the task. I know what the BMW guys say, but does it match up with what the boat guys say....

I have an X5 Diesel and it is a torque monster. It has a rated tow capacity of 7700# with a special European aftermarket hitch. Although I have only towed my #3500 tent trailer it does it with ease. The problem I see with towing a bigger boat is that X5 sits kinda low, has small little mirrors, and does not have a HD transmission ans cooling (as far as I know). I have always figured that towing is most comfortable at about 75% of vehicle capacity - maybe with a diesel you can tow closer to max, but I think the gas units less so.

Anyway, My buddy tows his 21 ft Tige through the mountains with his GLK 450 diesel and he says it does awesome and gets good mileage. The European Diesels are sweet units.

• Like 1

Stretch    409
Stretch came back from a hiatus just to post that. How's the house (and now wife?) going buddy?

Going really well, whole lot going on. Didn't know I could be so busy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Copenglenn    44

I have an X5 Diesel and it is a torque monster. It has a rated tow capacity of 7700# with a special European aftermarket hitch. Although I have only towed my #3500 tent trailer it does it with ease. The problem I see with towing a bigger boat is that X5 sits kinda low, has small little mirrors, and does not have a HD transmission ans cooling (as far as I know). I have always figured that towing is most comfortable at about 75% of vehicle capacity - maybe with a diesel you can tow closer to max, but I think the gas units less so.

Anyway, My buddy tows his 21 ft Tige through the mountains with his GLK 450 diesel and he says it does awesome and gets good mileage. The European Diesels are sweet units.

Thanks, this is kind of inline with what I've heard about them. By that kind of math, you can be within towing capacity fairly easily for most boats. Although, I don't know if I would like to hook onto an Ri with one. The bigger boat would surely push it around even with the great brakes the bimmer comes with.

CO Surfer    289

Someone actually knows the difference between Bimmer and Beamer. Nice!

• Like 1

Copenglenn    44

Someone actually knows the difference between Bimmer and Beamer. Nice!

The interwebz taught me right lol. Actually going to pick up an e90 tonight.

• Like 1

DjOM21    59

Anybody towing a 23ft+ wake boat through the mountains with a Dodge Eco Diesel? I would be curious on your impressions.

DarksideR    1,678

Irocnparts used to tow his sv240 with a VW Touareg diesel through the mountain passes with zero issues. Remember him saying it towed better than his F-350 diesel. Sooo.... yeah.

I tow my Fs33 with my F-150 rated to pull 8700lbs. I've never felt "unsafe". It stops great. That being said, no way would I attempt to tow it through the mountains. I think it would do it.... but I'd piss a lot of people off at how slow I was going. Lol.

If you're really concerned about it, there's always this

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/boa/5857285053.html

I've seen this boat in person. It's both hilarious and awesome at the same time. Only thing is gonna be over the weight limit of is a Schwinn

DjOM21    59

Irocnparts used to tow his sv240 with a VW Touareg diesel through the mountain passes with zero issues. Remember him saying it towed better than his F-350 diesel. Sooo.... yeah.

I tow my Fs33 with my F-150 rated to pull 8700lbs. I've never felt "unsafe". It stops great. That being said, no way would I attempt to tow it through the mountains. I think it would do it.... but I'd piss a lot of people off at how slow I was going. Lol.

If you're really concerned about it, there's always this

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/boa/5857285053.html

I've seen this boat in person. It's both hilarious and awesome at the same time. Only thing is gonna be over the weight limit of is a Schwinn

Sweet boat - but no tower!

I have an F350 and a Diesel Suv. So my attitude is kinda like, I need more boat to tow. I was just just curious how a diesel half ton would do through our Rocky Mountains. Would be nice to have a HD half ton that tows heavy, but rides nice and gets good mileage around town.

• Like 1

rrd525    40

We solved any payload / towing problems. Now to wait 6 months to get the boat behind it.
So far the same commuting mpg as the 1500.

post-7969-0-16105900-1478212466_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Nick213    586

You couldn't have picked a better vehicle in my opinion ;)

• Like 1

DjOM21    59

We solved any payload / towing problems. Now to wait 6 months to get the boat behind it.

So far the same commuting mpg as the 1500.

Does that say Duramax on the hood?

rrd525    40

Yes, Duramax.

Opted for the Diesel over the 6.0 gas.

The Dealer gave us a very attractive price on the Duramax upgrade.

DjOM21    59

Yes, Duramax.

Opted for the Diesel over the 6.0 gas.

The Dealer gave us a very attractive price on the Duramax upgrade.

Well you will not regret that choice one bit, but now you have to much truck and will require a RI257 to justify all that towing capacity!!

My dads 2012 Duramax can do 11-12L/100km stock unloaded on the highway in winter. This was in flat old Sask though - but I was impressed. My Ford will only do 14.5L/100KM on the highway in similar conditions so I was a little chuffed - but I am Leveled with Mud tires and well its a Ford. Pretty impressive for a 8000lb vehicle.

Enjoy the new ride.

• Like 2