Sfb330    11

I have a 2013 sv244. It weighs about 4500lbs dry and the trailer is another 1300lbs. I'm usually towing it with a tundra. There will be the odd occasion that I will need to tow it with the wife's vehicle. We are in the process of purchasing her a new vehicle. She wants something like a minivan but with towing capacity. Thought the Dodge Durango might work. It comes with a v8 and v6 . The 8 can tow 7200lbs and the 6 can tow 6200lbs. The six is qute a bit cheaper and gets much better full economy for city driving. Just wondering if I'm pushing the towing limit on the v6. She might tow about 1000miles per year.

• Like 1

CO Surfer    289

I wouldn't tow a SV with a V6. I would definitely opt for the Hemi towing that boat. I also question whether the gas mileage would be better with the 6 on a vehicle as big as the Durango.

h20king    794

Most any rig has enough power to drag a boat down the road the real problem is most rigs don't have the breaking power to stop the load in an emergency situation. That is one of my pet peeves when I see people towing with a sub standard tow rig. The way I see it is you have every right to endanger your life but not anyone else's. My thought is if you can afford a boat you can afford a proper tow rig if not you can't really afford the boat. A 24 foot boat needs a 3/4 ton tow rig at a minimum in my opinion.

• Like 2

DrNate    426

I have a buddy who always likes to brag about the "towing capacity" of his Infinity QX 56. I think it is like 6 or 8K pounds or something like that (probably about what the Durangos are). He has towed my Enzo with it and he says it tows it "like a dream" but the reality is that it was perfectly flat and it was a very short tow. And he's never towed it with my Ram Diesel, which pulls it and stops it like it's a jet ski, even on grades.

And I'm not sure that just because a manufacturer says it will to "up to" such and such doesn't mean it would be good for a most of the time application.

Now having said all of that, you are talking about a wife's vehicle which will only occasionally tow, so I hear what you are saying. Hitch it up and give it a go on the test drive I say!

h20king    794

Hith capacity will be deficient so be aware if you get in an accident and hurt someone you put yourself in a position to be sued. Buy the wife her rig and pick up a used proper tow vehicle is my suggestion.

Bongo Fury    640

I have a 2013 SV233....spec sheet says it is 4600 lbs. I have a 07 Sequoia 4WD V8. It is rated at 6,300 lbs. I use it to tow my boat from the lift around the lake for service at Hillside and to winter storage. That's it. I would never do any type of road trip.....never.

• Like 1

Nick213    583

Shoot I've overloaded every truck I've ever had except my current 3/4 ton, I haven't ever had any issues. I'm not saying you should but vehicles will do a lot more then you think if your not driving like an idiot.

Sfb330    11

Appreciate the feedback. Looks like I'll order her up an f350 then...

• Like 7

Nick213    583

Best of all worlds imo is a GMC Yukon with the 6.0L. It's to bad the Chevrolet Tahoe doesn't have a option for the 6.0L anymore :(

Dreamer    96

I pulled my 2014 SV244 onto a scale on the highway when I purchased it. Had some gear and half a tank of gas and it totalled 7200#'s. 440 at the ball and 6740 on the tandem axle.

• Like 3

rockballer    162
I pulled my 2014 SV244 onto a scale on the highway when I purchased it. Had some gear and half a tank of gas and it totalled 7200#'s. 440 at the ball and 6740 on the tandem axle.

That doesn't include tongue weight either I bet.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Nick213    583

Dreamer, so there's a 20# difference in weight from the 2feet from the trailer jack to the ball mount? I trust your numbers I'm just thinking as the longer the distance is from the jack to the ball of the truck, the more your tongue wieght will be?

h20king    794

Dreamer, so there's a 20# difference in weight from the 2feet from the trailer jack to the ball mount? I trust your numbers I'm just thinking as the longer the distance is from the jack to the ball of the truck, the more your tongue wieght will be?

I actually think it is the other way around. The shorter the distance from the front of the boat to the trailer ball the heavier the tongue weight. My 226 was on a VM trailer with the short tongue and it had a heavier tongue weight than my 238 on a boatmate with the long tongue.

Dreamer    96

I put the hitch on a block of wood so it's the actual tongue weight. When I used the jack the load was 682 lbs.

• Like 1

Dreamer    96

I have a 2013 sv244. It weighs about 4500lbs dry and the trailer is another 1300lbs. I'm usually towing it with a tundra. There will be the odd occasion that I will need to tow it with the wife's vehicle. We are in the process of purchasing her a new vehicle. She wants something like a minivan but with towing capacity. Thought the Dodge Durango might work. It comes with a v8 and v6 . The 8 can tow 7200lbs and the 6 can tow 6200lbs. The six is qute a bit cheaper and gets much better full economy for city driving. Just wondering if I'm pushing the towing limit on the v6. She might tow about 1000miles per year.

A VW Touareg TDI has a tow capacity of 7700 lbs and is a great daily vehicle. I use mine to tow my boat to the lake at the beginning of the season and home from the lake at the end. It's about 25 miles and includes a climb over a low mountain pass (1000ft vert). It pulls like a champ (and better than the chevy 1500 that was used previously). The 3.0 V6 diesel is more fuel efficient than any gas powered engine in a 5000 lb vehicle too. :)

• Like 1

rrd525    40

We are upgrading our tow vehicle too. Not because it can't tow it, but because we run out of payload.
S238 claimed dry weight 4700 lbs, trailer 1400 lbs estimated with spare tire.
Add quicksurf, optional tower and sub sound system, heater, battery charger, fuel, fluids and your own gear it put our weight around 7100 lbs, and we bring 200lbs lead - 7300lbs total, with about 550 lbs on the tongue

Supposedly need Weight Distribution over 5000 lbs / 500 tongue on most pickups. Gm 1500 usually gives you 7000 / 800 without WD.

With those type of weights, a smaller tow vehicle lightens up the steer wheels.

• Like 1

Shaka    146

I wouldn't tow a SV with a V6. I would definitely opt for the Hemi towing that boat. I also question whether the gas mileage would be better with the 6 on a vehicle as big as the Durango.

My buddies EcoBoost Ford towed my SV just fine. I was shocked how well.

• Like 1

h20king    794

My buddies EcoBoost Ford towed my SV just fine. I was shocked how well.

yep like I said almost any rig can tow it it is stopping that load in a emergency situation where the problem lies. There is no arguing that the breaks on a 1/2 ton or less are smaller than a 3/4 ton or bigger. Than throw in the exhaust break and there is just no comparison. My family means more to me than anything in the world so me personally will not risk it. You know what they say hope for the best but plan for the worst. JMTC