DjOM21

What boat do you own / what boats have you owned.

DjOM21    59

As the title states. Maybe include the Pros and Cons of each.

Only owned one and that is my 2008 SV230

Pros:

Great Regular wave

Decent storage

Good Size

Nice Price

Basic Electronics

Cons:

Fiddly Goofy Wave - but getting better

No CATS

Not an FS33

I guess I am secretly considering an upgrade but just trying to figure what the next logical step is.

Cheers and Ice Cold Beers.

daz28iroc    73

08 avy c4.

Upgraded from 06 maxum mx17

Maxum was easy to drive / learn with.

Cheap to buy operate and maintain.

Avy is 5ft plus swim deck longer and foot wider but worth every penny of maintenance and operation cost.

We run 20-22$ an hour for gas

Tons of storage even with ballast all full

Non snap cover is crappy to put on. A seperate front snap cover would b nice for rough water.

Cooler within arms reach of drivers seat is mint.

Seating for 12+ but we prefer 10 or less

Folding tower doesnt fold enough.

Low ground clearance when on trailer makes my steep driveway unpassable.

Nick213    583

08 Avy C4

Upgraded from 05 bowrider elite

06 reniel before that

Love everything about my avy!

Cons I need a bigger boat lol

WakeDoc    471

Owned in order:
Hobbie Cat 16ft.
1964 Glastron
1995 Malibu Tantrum

001_malibu_1996_001.jpg
2004 Malibu 23LSV

002_malibu_2004_001.jpg
2008 Centurion Enzo SV240

003_centurion_2008_001.jpg
2010 Centurion Enzo SV240 (current)

004_centurion_2010_008.png

Cdifranco    463

Owned

1998 16' Nitro bass boat

2013 Bayliner 195

2013 Centurion Enzo SV211

Always was a fisherman growing up and had bass boats, actually never really liked water sports but always did them on a buddy's Mastercraft. Got sick of listening to people saying lets go out on your boat which could only fit 2-3 people so I upgraded to the Bayliner when I moved to a house on the lake. Had that boat for 4 months and realized I wanted to get into water sports again. Dealership in my area was fire sailing their inventory since they now no longer cover the brand so I picked up the SV211 for a steal. 290 hours later I love it, but will only keep it until they ever release another boat that isn't the RI.

Complaints- the knob that goes into the gladiator tower is always in your back.

Dreamer    96

Started with a 2002 Supra SSV22 and had to sac out the seats for a good wakesurf wave. Decided I wanted a great wakesurf wave (we ride regular) so did my research and purchased an 07 SV230. Did some serious mods to the ballast system to have an epic port side wake with no sacs on the seats and no lead in the boat.

After four seasons decided I wanted more interior room and a more versatile wake. We wanted easy adjustability for skim or surf style wake, as well as riding goofy once in awhile. After much research I purchased a 2014 SV244. The boat is amazing and the wake is easily very adjustable. CATS make it easy. Interior is enormous and there is tons of storage (non ramfill). The only downside is with a small crew the boat needs extra weight so we have to use 400#'s of lead (I don't want any sacs on the seats).

If the majority of your time is riding the port side then a standard rotation propeller is the way to go. If you're goofy then I would not purchase this boat without a reverse rotation prop.

stoked    1,039

This is a great question and has me all sentimental! When I was 14 we had a house fire and pretty much every worldly possession I owned literally went up in smoke. The insurance company gave me $2000 for everything, my parents asked me what I wanted to do with the money and I told them I wanted to buy a ski boat. So they handed me the money and I bought a fiberform from a friend's parents. We were dirt poor and that money could have been well spent on any number of bills, but they decided to let me buy the boat which in hindsight was an amazing way to bring our family together. Here's a photo of the old girl with a 15 year old Stoked at the wheel (yes I pulled a tube, and yes that is a kneeboard).

When I was 17 I traded up for a Century MKII:
This boat was sheer terror. It was capable of speeds in excess of 60mph, if you've ever been in a 16ft boat going 40, you're already praying to God. I remind you I was 17... I sold it when I left for the military. The mechanical flaw to this boat was the separate levers for gas and gear. If you weren't paying attention and trying to back off the gas you could end up putting it in neutral at full throttle, which is exactly what happened to the guy I sold it to 3 days after he bought it from me, bye bye engine. Here's what I'm talking about:

Several years out of the military I bought an 07 Avy with the walkthrough, loved the boat, hated the goofy wave. It made me learn to ride switch (Mrs Stoked):

Last summer I did the FS33 mod and haven't looked back. We run around 600lbs of lead on top of the factory ballast and PnPs. It makes a monster wave (present day Stoked):
Only con, continually hitting my head on the speakers...

• Like 4

Jake707    171

First boat was an 89 Bayliner. Wanted something cheap but that we could still do water activities with and make sure we wanted to commit to being boat owners, as you know its a lot of work that your friends who come out every now and then don't see. It was a great beginner boat for everything BUT surfing. After a couple years we decided we wanted to get a surfable boat, only issue is I didn't want a payment and couldn't come out of pocket enough to get what we were looking for so the only option was to trade my second Harley for one so options were limited. Eventually found the 2000 Elite V we have now and absolutely love it. Wish it was 23' and had the Avy hull, basically saying I wish it was the Typhoon with C4 seating, but still all in all great boat. Only real complaint is I don't have a fishing boat anymore, I guess its good I sold my bayliner to a friend so I can borrow it any time.

bluesman280    99

Old 14' Cobra 4 seater with a 135 merc blue metallic paint

1994 - 20' Eddie Bauer Maxum with 215 hp. Great ski and knee board boat. Perfect with kids and tubing at the time.

2001 - Centurion Typhoon/Concourse with cut away hull and walkthrough. Tons of room. Liked the fact there was no seats on one side. We used to pack a big cooler full of drinks, and a cooler full of food. They doubled as extra seats. The rear locker had enough room to fit knee boards and wake skate. The walkthrough storage had room for paddles and all of our ropes. Tons of room in the bow. Tons of storage. It had been a wakeboard boat and had tons of ballast already plumbed in. Bow, center, under seat, factory and extra bag in the rear. plus hook ups for bags on the stb floor and in the walkthrough. Great family boat.

Cons: surf wave was harder to get dialed in. We sacked it out with tons of weight and then we figured out that it surfed better with less weight. Had a great wave once you got it figured out, but still real finicky.

Had a few problems with the trailer brakes over the years, that got costly.

2012 SV 233 - great boat all the way around. Sets up nice for surfing. Quick surf, PnP, Pro ballast. Has the screen with the rider profiles, but rarely use it. Full Wetsound system, air dam, heater, cocktail table, front and rear tower lights. Like everything about it. Because of the hassles we had with the old boat trailer, I love this new trailer and the low maintenance torsion axles. The trailer was set up too low when we bought it, so we had the height adjusted for our driveway and a little more clearance. Great boat and great trailer.

I am also a knee boarder. The wave with no ballast is intimidating for beginner knee boarders. Add a little ballast or in our case 200 lbs of lead and you better strap on your big boy pants to go knee boarding. I can easily get about 5 - 6 feet of air going over the wake and have learned to hit the down slope of the wake on the other side for soft landings or it is chaos landing from that height. I am the only one who has ever cleared the wake on our boat with a knee board and the last time out I hit it a little harder than usual with the extra lead and the guys in the boat figured I cleared the wake by a solid 8'. I don't wakeboard, but based on my knee boarding, I could see the potential of this boat having a wave with great pop for a wakeboarder.

Cons:

The 343PCM is enough, but I would like more. Our old Typhoon had way more jam out of the hole.

Have to be careful with the lower cut down bow, good for better visibility for the driver when surfing, but , easy to take a roller over the bow if not paying attention.

Adequate wave with just the onboard ballast, without bags all over the boat, but it benefits greatly from an extra 200 lbs of lead. Planning on adding another 200lb of lead next season.

Adequate room, but feels slightly crowded compared to our old typhoon. Especially since we still pack a food cooler.

At 250 lbs, a good wave is essential just so I can surf, and we can easily achieve an adequate wave with no lead and 2 people in the boat. Toss in 200 lbs of lead and an extra body and the wave is awesome. Not to mention the wave if we have a full crew of 5 or 6 in the boat.

A great all around family boat, does it all, from Surfing to tubing. Wave is maybe a little aggressive to cross for slalom skiers though.

Not to mention the low, sleek, look, is rather deceiving when I cruise down the lake with no visible logos, surfing with ease. Lots of people trying to surf on our lake, but not many of them with a decent enough wave to surf wireless with ease.

Bongo Fury    640

2008 Falcon V: Loved this boat. One of the first with cab forward design. 21 foot boat with 102” beam made it feel as big as some 22 and 23 ft boats. Lots of storage. Back lockers could hold an 1100 bag no problem. Could get a nice wave when slammed. I loved this boat!

2013 SV233. Cab forward design makes the boat feel bigger as cabin size is increased. We get a killer wave with the addition of about 400 lbs of extra ballast. Wave is easily adjustable. Rough water ride is awesome. Love the boat!!! We will more than likely keep this boat for a very very long time as it is perfect for me and my family.

• Like 3

bluesman280    99

2008 Falcon V: Loved this boat. One of the first with cab forward design. 21 foot boat with 102” beam made it feel as big as some 22 and 23 ft boats. Lots of storage. Back lockers could hold an 1100 bag no problem. Could get a nice wave when slammed. I loved this boat!

2013 SV233. Cab forward design makes the boat feel bigger as cabin size is increased. We get a killer wave with the addition of about 400 lbs of extra ballast. Wave is easily adjustable. Rough water ride is awesome. Love the boat!!! We will more than likely keep this boat for a very very long time as it is perfect for me and my family.

Yep, the rough water ride is awesome. Like you, I am sure we are keeping this boat for the long haul. Pretty hard to justify the cost of an upgrade.

The FS 33 would be on my hit list if I was looking, but pretty hard to justify the cost of the upgrade when this boat does everything so well.

Can't wait to try out some these boats that have Cats to see what I am missing, but otherwise the SV233 is a keeper. Like the SV230, I suspect the SV233 will be a highly sought after boat in its price range for many years to come in the used market.

SurferAdam    168

1996 Malibu Response LX, awesome boat, purchased with 300 hrs for $12k sold with 1200 hrs for $12,500, nothing ever went wrong with it just basic maintenance

2005 Tige 22V, great both with a pretty good goofy side wave but not a great regular wave, used for 200 hours and made almost $10k on it

2006 Mastercraft X Star, terrible surf wave on either side, great wakeboarding wake, all around not a great boat with lots of annoying problems

2007 Malibu 23 LSV, awesome boat, very well built and held up incredibly well over the 500 hours I owned it for, goofy surf wave was long and clean but lacked the push of a deep v boat, owned for 5 years and sold for $6k more than I paid for it

2014 Supreme 226, first new boat I ever bought, great surf wave on both sides, well built boat with only a few minor issues, sold after one year for exactly what I paid for it

2015 Centurion FS33, hands down best boat I've owned, a few minor warranty issues including failing older design ramfill valves but everything was resolved and works perfectly now, absolute stomper of a wave with a ton of adjustability on both sides, 472 hours in two seasons and this boat has never let me down. I was planning on buying a new centurion for next year but this boat is so good I think I'm gunna keep it until something I feel is better comes along

• Like 3

CO Surfer    289

2001 Reinell 185BR. - Good first boat. We used it for wakeboarding. It would vapor lock if you let it sit for 1/2 hour and then started out at anything above light throttle. I figured that out pretty quickly and then it was never an issue. Sold it after owning it for 6 years for $2,500 less than I paid for it.

post-7344-0-44215000-1476575696_thumb.jpg

2016 Centurion SV233 - Love our boat! H5 engine. Plenty of power. Special ordered it so got exactly what we were looking for. We were talking about getting a surf boat for 4-5 years before we pulled the trigger. Turns out I bought it at the right time since they discontinued it. I will be doing a winter mod to add a second locker bag and install thru hull fittings and pumps so I don't have to throw a Tsunami over the side every time we change sides. I'll probably add 400 lbs of lead shot as well. I'm sure we'll keep this boat for several years.

post-7344-0-83448400-1476575996_thumb.jpg

Edited by CO Surfer

nailem    29

1975 thunderbird, bought from my parents

1986 sun runner bought it right, ran it for 2 years cleaned it up and wet sanded and buffed. Did all major maintenance and sold it for a profit.

1996 Aquatron, Cleaned up and sold for a profit.

2005 sv230 Enzo bought with bad motor. Rebuilt motor, pulled hard tanks and added 1100lb in port locker, 750 under port bench seat, added Johnson pump, 4 port heater, wind dam, audio upgrade.

I love this boat. Has tons of storage. I have racks for 4 surf boards and 4 thinner skim or wakeboards. I can store all boards stowed away. Great wave but compared to the newest boats it's starting to fall behind.

Edited by nailem
  • Like 1

Bongo Fury    640

2012 SV 233 - great boat all the way around. Sets up nice for surfing. Quick surf, PnP, Pro ballast. Has the screen with the rider profiles, but rarely use it. Full Wetsound system, air dam, heater, cocktail table, front and rear tower lights. Like everything about it. Because of the hassles we had with the old boat trailer, I love this new trailer and the low maintenance torsion axles. The trailer was set up too low when we bought it, so we had the height adjusted for our driveway and a little more clearance. Great boat and great trailer.

Cons:

The 343PCM is enough, but I would like more. Our old Typhoon had way more jam out of the hole.

We ordered ours with the 409 and i'm really glad we did....it made a big difference to me from the demo boat we tested with the 343... how did you adjust the height of your trailer....I have a similar situation.

stoked    1,039

So it's saying that it can be adjusted to 45 degrees down, anyone know what they come as stock? We're riding a little low for one of the ramps we use and I'd love to gain some clearance.

bluesman280    99

We ordered ours with the 409 and i'm really glad we did....it made a big difference to me from the demo boat we tested with the 343... how did you adjust the height of your trailer....I have a similar situation.

I had a local trailer shop do it for me. Think it cost around $150 Canadian. I f you have a look at your axles underneath the trailer you can see that the actual torsion arms are on a splined shaft. They just loosened the locking bolt, slid the arms off, rotated them slightly, and then reinstalled the torsion arms back onto the axle. My trailer was so low I was hanging up going into parking lots, couldn't back my boat into my driveway, and was worried the prop protector plate at the back of the trailer was capable of catching on a few high manhole covers we had in our neighborhood. After I adjusted the axle height, I also had to remove and adjust the trailer jack height.

Bongo Fury    640

I had a local trailer shop do it for me. Think it cost around $150 Canadian. I f you have a look at your axles underneath the trailer you can see that the actual torsion arms are on a splined shaft. They just loosened the locking bolt, slid the arms off, rotated them slightly, and then reinstalled the torsion arms back onto the axle. My trailer was so low I was hanging up going into parking lots, couldn't back my boat into my driveway, and was worried the prop protector plate at the back of the trailer was capable of catching on a few high manhole covers we had in our neighborhood. After I adjusted the axle height, I also had to remove and adjust the trailer jack height.

Thanks......I will talk to Hillside when I bring it in.....

TayTay    6

I grew up with boats here and there, boated with friends etc, but I'll start with the first boat I owned. 2005 Supra Launch SSV, was my first ski boat and great boat. We had a lot of fun on it wakeboarding and towards the end discovered surfing. The boat had a pretty low profile and with a full crew it say really low in the water. We took a wave over the bow once, that was kind of scary. Also only rated for 8 or 9 people and it was cramped with that many. We sold it after our first was born because we just didn't use it.

baa30efc6d6da1065b6dd73325a59bfa.jpg

1996 Alaskan Jet was my second boat. It was a 24ft Aluminum Jet boat that I bought thinking I would fish instead of wakeboard with the kids. Didn't use it a ton and ended up blowing the 460 in had. Sold it as-is to some guy in Montana.

005bcb26a5f7e23f64fa1d9fe9bbd424.jpg

Then I just bought the 2006 Enzo SV230. Haven't used this one yet but I have high hopes!

f0aac34769928ee4da08ca9bedf917b9.png

Edited by TayTay