Nolance    18

I have always done my own winterizing on my previous boat, which was an I/O. Typically, took me a couple hours to do. How difficult is it to winterize my 2016 S226 and what steps should I follow?

Thanks for any advice

h20king    794

Look in your owners bag. It gives a diagram of the cooling system and what and where to drain.

h20king    794

It's not hard only thing not mentioned in the diagram is the heater. Make sure if you have heat to remove the lines and use air to blow out the water.

CO Surfer    289

I had a fair amount of water that came out of my heater lines after I drained the block. I have an air compressor so it wasn't a big deal for me. Not sure how you would do it without a compressor and air gun. I definitely would not skip that step. It would've frozen and caused damage if I had not blown them out.

• Like 1

h20king    794

I had a fair amount of water that came out of my heater lines after I drained the block. I have an air compressor so it wasn't a big deal for me. Not sure how you would do it without a compressor and air gun. I definitely would not skip that step. It would've frozen and caused damage if I had not blown them out.

we have a small craftsman shop vac for the boat I just put the hose on the discharge port and used it to blow out the heater because I forgot the air compressor was at the house. Worked like A champ.
  • Like 1

CO Surfer    289

Great idea! I would think just about everyone would have a shop vac. Not everyone is going to have an air compressor!

• Like 1

rockballer    162

How often do you guys polish your boats? Mine sits outside during the summer and is over 3 years old. I just don't want it to fade. Should this be done yearly?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

h20king    794

How often do you guys polish your boats? Mine sits outside during the summer and is over 3 years old. I just don't want it to fade. Should this be done yearly?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I wax twice a year and wipe the boat down every time out with boat candy speed gloss
  • Like 1

CO Surfer    289

Very similar to H2O. Wax twice a year and dry with a towel on every trip. I use Hot Sauce by Boat Bling as needed (usually when I don't get it dried quickly enough). Pretty much means I'm wiping at least part of the boat down with HS after every time out. Boat is stored indoors.

• Like 1

we have a small craftsman shop vac for the boat I just put the hose on the discharge port and used it to blow out the heater because I forgot the air compressor was at the house. Worked like A champ.

Shop vac is great. You can also just blow it out with your breath if you are in a pinch. Although you might get a slight headache afterward, but you will be hopped up on all the extra oxygen you took in. And don't get caught doing it, you will get made fun of. Personally if you are going to keep the boat for a few years, go to home depot, buy 2 ball valves, 4 hose barb connectors and 4 screw clamps. Cut the heater line in a convenient spot and add the valves. You can then easily undo them and blow out or add antifreeze if you want. Plus if the heater core ever starts leaking, which then invariably do, you won't lose a day on the water because you can easily shut it off. You can then fix it at your leisure.

On waxing...I use babes boat brite every time it comes out of the water. It's awesome. Also use a new microfiber each time on it...not cotton. Your boat will look great for years. If you want to wax it once a year, you can do that as well, but not required. I use klasse AIO, which is a synthetic cleaner and sealer (basically a wax). It cleans any crap on the surface and gives it an awesome shine. You can polish as well, but only probably necessary if you leave it outside, don't wipe it down, or use cotton towels. Gel coat is very hard, so you will need a compound that is much more aggressive than you use on a car if you are trying to do any surface corrections.

BTW babes works great on cars too. Also put it on your windshield and you can literally drive in any amount of rain without the windshield wipers. If one should so choose to do so.

Nolance    18

Any concerns with winterizing the bow ballast and quickfills? How do you determine that all water has been removed?

Cwazy1    89

I have never had an issue with winterizing quickfill. once it is 'empty' there is enough room in there for a small amount of water to freeze and expand. No issues what so ever.

chenige    84

Mine sits in the water for 4 months. Waxed when I take it out for the winter. Yes it gets really funky.