Brandon161

2016 S238 - Super disappointed with it.........

I thought the capacity ratings are set taking into account the Stock Factory Ballast on boats sold.Therefore if you exceed the 2700lbs ballast via additional ballast, extra batteries, ice chests, anchors, ropes, people, dogs, etc that is deducted from the capacity plate?

I have no idea actually. My guess would be that it does not take into account the ballast. I don't think the regulations have been updated to take into account ballast. Typically over the course of history no one intentionally put water IN the boat. At any rate it's not required for boats out size and supreme just started putting it on the last couple years. Police can't ticket you specifically for exceeding the plate.(unless there is a statute specific to the state, but I haven't seen any yet). So pull the plate off of you are concerned with it, you don't even need it, however it's a good guide for Joe Idiot out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rrd525    40

Not worried. Our last boat the capacity decal was removed. Not required over 6m (19'-10") here.

Has anyone had issues with the speedometer reading a lot slower than the boat is actually going?

I'm not convinced the paddle wheel is accurate, esp when using the surf system. However it seems pretty consistent (precise?).

I suggest an upgrade to a gps. A company by the name of nautiqlaugic sells a gps upgrade for $240. Fairly easy install and I've used their modules for several years and they've been stellar. I just put one on my S238.

• Like 1

Copenglenn    44

Problem is that these boats are already over USCG capacity with stock ballast and no people. I think capacity is ~2300lbs and ballast starts at 2700lbs. They can only add so much before the lawyers get all over them. Spend 150K on a mastercraft with Gen 2...and then you'll see what disappointment really looks like. I couldn't even stay up behind its wave when we had one out. G23 is the only boat that has a reasonably good wave out of the box that I have found.

MC with Gen 2 takes setup just like the 238 mentioned in this thread. You even said it yourself, the G23 is the only boat with a descent wave out of the box. A dialed boat will always surf better than a boat that's not setup right, no matter the price.

• Like 1

stoked    1,039

Out of curiosity, are you mainly on a river or lake? A river can negatively affect the speed

Edited by stoked

Copenglenn    44

Out of curiosity, are you mainly on a river or lake? A river can negatively affect the speed

Good point. The current can really throw off your wave and you'll have to compensate your speed accordingly.

Brandon161    26

I am at Shasta Lake, pretty much the only place I ever go boating. The speedo seems to be way off. With the boat empty and the engine at 4500 RPM is shows I am going 20 MPH. Dealer says it should pry be around 35 ish? When I was surfing I set it to 10.6 as a starting point it and the boat felt like it flying. Had to drop the cruise to 8.2 and that was where it felt more like 10.6 to 11 mph. When I wakeboard I go at 21 to 22, always. I knew that would be way too fast so I had my driver set the cruise at 17.0 and it felt like I was flying out there. He had to drop it to around 14 until until it felt like it was 21 mph. This is my third boat and I have been wakeboarding for about 8 yrs now, so I am pretty comfortable being able to know what 21mph feels like when I am behind the boat. And I have been surfing for a few yrs now so I have a general idea of what 11 mph feels like.

Shaka    146

I'm not convinced the paddle wheel is accurate, esp when using the surf system. However it seems pretty consistent (precise?). I suggest an upgrade to a gps. A company by the name of nautiqlaugic sells a gps upgrade for $240. Fairly easy install and I've used their modules for several years and they've been stellar. I just put one on my S238. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meh, for now he can just download a gps speed app on his phone and use that.

Usually a lake. When on a river I just unplug the gps connector and plug back in the paddle wheel. They sell a "river runner" upgrade that takes in to account both, but as of a few months ago it wasn't available for the s238. So next time I end up on a river I'll just swap them. I love how the GPS controls speed, much more solid because, excuse the cliché, no filter needed.

NW Boat Sports    232

See attached. It's been awhile since we have had to do this but while in air temp mode on the dash, hold the down Info switch down for 3 seconds to enter Speedo calibration mode then use the up and down to calibrate speed. Try that. If no luck, call the Fineline factory and ask for Roger. Sanger uses the same gauges so you can call the Sanger factory and ask for Ron. Both have assisted before.

Tach.pdf

• Like 3

Brandon161    26

NW thank you for the sheet I will give it a shot this weekend.

Fourfrogs    3

Something to consider, your boat is rated for 16 people, it's a big deep boat that wants a lot of weight. My guess is the factory has the max stock ballast to stay within the weight limit set by the industry. I'm sure if you keep an open mind and follow the suggestions on this site you get it dialed in.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Brandon161    26

UPDATE..............if anyone cares, lol. I got the speedo re-calibrated so it seems to be pretty close now. It was off by 4 mph at lower speeds and by 8 mph at the higher speeds! I did what people suggested to the make the wave better and it was definitely better. You really do have to sink that boat to get a wave. I quickly messed with the stereo grounds and that didn't fix the ground noise, so I will have to tear it apart this winter. I adjusted the stereo and I still don't care for the Icon 8s, so if anyone is interested in them send me a PM and I will make you a deal. The stock sub is actually pretty nice, but I want to move it to make more room, so if anyone is interested in that, let me know.

Conclusion............... the boat is a really nice and I am getting happier with the wave. I just have to keep messing with it to make it perfect.

• Like 3

Brandon161    26

So yesterday I surfed both regular and goofy. For regular..... I had the quick fill full. The plug and play full. 4 bags of lead under the plug and play bag. the center tank full. And my passengers on that side. The trim tab up. The quick surf down 4 clicks. No weight at all on the starboard side except the driver. For goofy...... I did the same deal. All weight possible on that side. Center tank full. Trim tab down 50%. Quick surf tab 4 or 5 clicks. It was good. I want to try a few things next time. But it's getting there

h20king    794

For regular you want some counter weight. Fill both quick fills goofy does not like counter weight so you are going in the right direction just need more weight on the surf side.

Brandon check your gain on your amp for the icon 8's. Some boats have been set from the factory ridiculously conservative. Spend s little time tuning it and I think you will be ok, and if you don't want to have bags everywhere buy a pair of 900lb bags for the rear lockers (they just squeeze in there) and replace the 550. It's pretty cheap, simple and clean and makes a world of difference on a 238. - Cody

I got a really nice wave yesterday out of the stock ballast and not even listed. I ran everything 100% full stock ballast. Rear bags, Quickfill, under seat bow bag and center hard tank all 100% full. I just filled the tank up so that was even full too. I was running 11.6 mph. 0 center tab and very little (And i mean very little) left surf tab button. Regular side surf of course. The boat peaked alot higher than i was normally use to, as far as the bow rise. The wave was very peaky and had nice push. I have been a believer in the Listed setup by far. But the wave I had yesterday was much better than the listed wave i get. Figured I would share for people to try this way out also. I WAS VERY IMPRESSED even with stock ballast.

Maybe you could try this set up your next time out. worked awesome for me with stock ballast.

hope it helps brother.

• Like 1

Brandon161    26

It's funny you mention that. Yesterday I went out and filled all the rear ballast on both sides the center ballast and 6 bags of lead on the regular side. I had the center tab at 50% and the surf tab down about 50% ish. Not sure I just hit the button until the wave looked good. It was by far the best regular side wave I have had so far. I tried about the same set up with goofy but I had to ride pretty close to the platform. On regular I could get back fairly far and I was happy. From what I am learning you really just have to give it a lot of weight! I don't like the regular side listed. I liked it with the boat more even with just a slight list

Edited by Brandon161
  • Like 3