chowder2016

Floating Log 1 : CATS O

chowder2016    110

In an egregious rookie mistake yesterday I had a floating log while I was looking at my screen to dial in a wake for my buddy.

Luckily it looks like no hull damage happened the prop, shaft and rudder are fine as well. The CATS system took the hit and it is actually bent now at an angle.

My dealer is going to look at this weekend. But Im wondering if any of you had ever had to replace this mechanism and roughly what am I looking at in $$$$? I forgot to take a picture, but its pretty pad.

Ill probably end up having to do an insurance claim, but I have a pretty high deductible so if its not too bad I might just fix it without the insurance claim.

:cry::cry::cry:

lakerat    70

I don't have a Centurion with CATS but I do have to deal with logs on occasion ; I was lucky and didn't hit any. I finally got sick of dodging them and spent a couple of hours towing all I could find to shore at our lake. I'm sorry to hear about the damage to your boat and hope it's a reasonable repair.

stoked    1,039

Before you get it fixed, how does it affect the wave? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

chowder2016    110

Before you get it fixed, how does it affect the wave? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha, with no ballast the boat listed hard to the starboard side to the point where it actually freaked me out. So I filled the ram fill on the port side to sit it back down. Not a very good Surf wake, but it was a gnarly looking Wakeboard lip!!!!

Edited by chowder2016

CO Surfer    289

I've had my floor panel off to look at the CATS system and it's a pretty beefy setup. My guess is that the repair won't be cheap. Maybe it's just a bent actuator? Sorry to hear about it. Good luck with the repair.

Mrdeerwood    26

Sorry to hear about the damage. I hit something last month and was really worried about my cats. Luckily it was nothing. But ever since I have wondered... Please keep everyone posted

DarksideR    1,679

Damn! That sucks.

Look out... here comes H to poopoo on the added features/headaches of Centurions. :D

• Like 2

h20king    794

Damn! That sucks.

Look out... here comes H to poopoo on the added features/headaches of Centurions. :D

??? A turn fin is a turn fin don't think a regular one would withstand the impact either. I am not sure why you think I don't like centurion. My biggest hang up with them is looks. Never could get past how ugly the hammerhead bow is. The side profile is beautiful though. Hoping the fi changes that.

truekaotik    458

My guess is with them keeping the "F" series, is it will have a Hammerhead bow still. I think they are changing the freeboard and other small things..

Edited by truekaotik

h20king    794

Word I hear is complete new top cap guess we will see soon enough

truekaotik    458

I didn't hear anything, I was guessing since the hammerhead was a huge deal and they won't drop the picklefork look, I wouldn't think..

• Like 1

DarksideR    1,679

??? A turn fin is a turn fin don't think a regular one would withstand the impact either. I am not sure why you think I don't like centurion. My biggest hang up with them is looks. Never could get past how ugly the hammerhead bow is. The side profile is beautiful though. Hoping the fi changes that.

Was just busting your balls man. I seen you were reading the thread and just wanted to get in a quick low blow before you posted.

I disagree however on the skeg vs. Cats, Cats will likely be alot more expensive to fix! LOL

• Like 1

nailem    29

I don't have CATS so I don't know how the fin is attached but is it possible it just got turned on the shaft? Does the fin slid on to a shafts with a flat cut on it the set screwed in and when you took the hit it spun the fin. If that's the case you may just need a new fin.

h20king    794

Was just busting your balls man. I seen you were reading the thread and just wanted to get in a quick low blow before you posted.

I disagree however on the skeg vs. Cats, Cats will likely be alot more expensive to fix! LOL

posible but not sure. They just drill and tap the fins now to the fiberglass so not sure what sort of gel damage it would do. The cats fin is built just like a rudder. You might be able to have a prop shop straight it if the damage is not that bad if you pull it yourself. Centurion built in access holes so should not be that bad a job.

CO Surfer    289

It's easy to get to. Just pull up your carpet and there's a fiberglass panel that you unscrew. It's just to the side of the drivers seat.

I actually had mine "get confused" once after a software update and it seemed to think one of the extremes was center. I opened up the panel and quickly realized I wasn't moving or disengaging it.

I ended up disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it and it reset to the proper orientation.

• Like 1

volzalum    280

Centurion had to replace my CATS fin under warranty. A crack developed down the center on one side. Looked like a manufacturing defect that they tried to repair and the repair failed. Cannot comment on cost though since it was a warranty replacement. The repair center said they had to pull the gas tank, but I didn't pull the floor to look. The replacement works as designed though.

• Like 1

chowder2016    110

I dropped it off at the dealer on Saturday. The guess is about $1000 to replace. But they won't know until they get in there to pull it off. Still waiting to hear what the final damage is gonna be.

enzo101mo    98

That's about the same price I paid for my propeller shaft a couple years ago. Hope for you it's not to bad

• Like 1

ReSession    165

My understanding is there was a tab that was meant to 'break' in the event of an underwater collision so you wouldn't bend the actual CATS fin, according to one of the reps I met (who said he hit his CATS on the lift coming in sideways). Apparently it is a very inexpensive fix...hopefully that's all you have going on?!

• Like 2

chowder2016    110

So a new CATS fin is $800. Still waiting to hear what the rest of the damage is gonna be.

• Like 1