Gilly

2016 Supreme S226 Surf Setup

Gilly    0

Recently purchased a new 2016 Supreme S226. We are new to surfing and was hoping to obtain some feedback on the best way to setup the best surf wake when we have only a couple people on board and when we have a handful of adults on board. Our Supreme comes stock with the Supreme "quick fill" Ballast system & the plug and play ballast (2 - 550lbs bags rear & 1 - 500lbs bag bow). The boat also has the Supreme quick surf system and centre wake plate. I look forward to any feedback provided.

h20king    794

You need more weight and forget about the quick surf list the boat. The 226'does not like counter weight fill surf side quick fill and bag plus the center tank. Then add another 500-600 lbs surf side.up to you how you get it bags lead or both. Regular side trim 15 -20% speed 11 -11.5 goofy is the same but trim at 95 - 100 % . Try that out if you want a little more length throw 100 lead centered as far forward as you can get it.

Hey gilly, what did u find out about weighting your boat? I started with bow ballast full and surf side....wave was decent, but then last weekend tried Both rear ballast full and nothing in the bow, threw and extra 500lbs in the surf side locker and seemed to get a better wave. I have never really seen much difference using the trim tab....thoughts? I have a 2013 v226.... So thinking similar waves and weighting? Maybe my speed has been too slow.....was going at about 9.0...

viking    491

Like H said - bow tank full, surf side QF and PnP bag full, then add some more weight (peeps, lead, more fat sack ballast) on surf side for epic wave, 11-12mph trim tab at 25% for starboard and about 75-100% for goofy.

no counter weight. Stock ballast should be very surfable. The upgraded PnP bags and lead really makes it that much better.

Enjoy!

Edited by viking
  • Like 1

ssmith    49

If you upgrade your PnP bags, DON'T forget to reinforce the engine divider. I agree with H and Viking

I think I'm the only one that likes the little stock 250lb or whatever it is filled full for counter weight. Basically same setup though, all stock ballast full. 1000lbs surf side locker, 600lbs under surf passenger, 100lbs in bow (sometimes more with peeps). Occasional suck gate for something different (loses lip and pushes white water toward non surf side (listed at the same time. suckgate is just OK weighted even on my 13 v226).

Jetter    1

Hello.  I'm a Tige owner who is trying to help get my buddies new to him 2016 S226 dialed in.  He's a newb but will be joining this forum to learn.  Having read a bunch of this forum I have a few questions.  It seems some people have a bow ballast in their 16s and some have a split quick fill tank??? 

There seems to be all sorts of different factory configurations.  His boat has one center quick fill, and a pnp bag in each rear locker.  It has the 3 tab system which I believe you guys call quicksurf.

I went out with him yesterday and found the wave to be nice and long but no push and not much height.  Keeping in mind I am 6'4" 240lbs and he is bigger we NEED push.  The best we could do was surf side locker full, other side part full, quicksurf tab up slightly from fully extended.  We had the center quickfill full the entire time.

I'm not here to bash Supreme.  I love the boat.  Great design and roomy.  Runs fantastic.  I'm just thinking for a 2016 Surf designed boat the wave should have more height and push.  I get far more push with my 08 Tige Z1.  Not as long for sure but way easier to ride.

Any advice helping him dial in would be appreciated!

Edited by Jetter
Mis

49faith    4

@Jetter  I thought all the S226's had the quickfill hardtanks in the rear. Do you not see those on his boat? The switches are on the bottom right panel, usually. That will make a pretty big difference in push, height and overall wave. My brother is 240 and can surf my S21 just fine. The 226 should be even better.

Jetter    1
On 2018-09-03 at 5:32 PM, 49faith said:

@Jetter  I thought all the S226's had the quickfill hardtanks in the rear. Do you not see those on his boat? The switches are on the bottom right panel, usually. That will make a pretty big difference in push, height and overall wave. My brother is 240 and can surf my S21 just fine. The 226 should be even better.

No he definitely has one center quickfill ballast in the center of the boat and a factory pnp bag in each locker.  No bow ballast and the quickfill only has a single toggle switch so I assume there is not separate port and starboard sides to it.  Another big feature lacking in this boat is the lack of gauges for ballast levels and more importantly tab position.

49faith    4
12 hours ago, Jetter said:

No he definitely has one center quickfill ballast in the center of the boat and a factory pnp bag in each locker.  No bow ballast and the quickfill only has a single toggle switch so I assume there is not separate port and starboard sides to it.  Another big feature lacking in this boat is the lack of gauges for ballast levels and more importantly tab position.

@Jetter OK, just making sure here but the center, left and right switches for bags are on the top of this picture. The rear quickfill are on the bottom. https://imgur.com/tNhTqYy

If you open the rear lockers and engine cover, you would be able to see fill/drain valves for the hard tanks. Either Drain Masters, which are factory. Or Valterra's which were factory replacements after Drain Masters failed. Here: https://imgur.com/apJ7hQC

Edited by 49faith

Jetter    1

49faith firstly thanks for your help and sorry for my ignorance.  I believe we just had a eureka moment!  I think I have this straight now.  Does this seem right?  Boat has:

1 hard ballast tank in center of boat that is filled/emptied via pump.  Switch in center of the three.
2 pnp bags - one in each locker.  Switches on either side of center ballast switch above.
2 quick fill hard tanks located port and starboard below the lockers controlled by the open/closed switches??

For crying out loud!! - I didn't even see the bottom row of switches!  We were trying to surf with only 550 lb pnp bags and center ballast.  God now I feel like an idiot.  Thank god for forums!  I guess we are out for another test run this weekend.

Jetter    1

While I seem to be on a role learning....  a couple more questions please.

1 - Is the center ballast what some call the bow ballast?  The factory options say an available 228 lb  bow ballast.  Anybody know how much the center ballast can hold?  Do people install a front under seat ballast bag as well?

2 - if the center ballast fills and drains from the underside of the boat and there is no gauge, how do you know when it's empty?

Thanks

49faith    4
13 hours ago, Jetter said:

49faith firstly thanks for your help and sorry for my ignorance.  I believe we just had a eureka moment!  I think I have this straight now.  Does this seem right?  Boat has:

1 hard ballast tank in center of boat that is filled/emptied via pump.  Switch in center of the three.
2 pnp bags - one in each locker.  Switches on either side of center ballast switch above.
2 quick fill hard tanks located port and starboard below the lockers controlled by the open/closed switches??

For crying out loud!! - I didn't even see the bottom row of switches!  We were trying to surf with only 550 lb pnp bags and center ballast.  God now I feel like an idiot.  Thank god for forums!  I guess we are out for another test run this weekend.

That's it!

The hard tanks switches are an open and close operation versus fill and drain. While you're filling the pnp bags, 'open' the quickfill valves and water will flood in to the tanks, then 'close' them after the pnp's are full. You can see the valve handles move if they're valterras. I dont remember what the drain masters look like. To empty them, go 15+ MPH and open them again. The movement will drain/empty them out. Just close again before stopping. 

49faith    4
12 hours ago, Jetter said:

1 - Is the center ballast what some call the bow ballast?  The factory options say an available 228 lb  bow ballast.  Anybody know how much the center ballast can hold?  Do people install a front under seat ballast bag as well?

2 - if the center ballast fills and drains from the underside of the boat and there is no gauge, how do you know when it's empty?

Thanks

I think it's a center tank not bow, but I'm not 100% on that since I have neither on my S21. Not sure how you know it's empty, but like the quickfill for me it's just a guessing game. Jabsco pumps and 1 inch lines are supposed to be 80 water pounds per minute as a general rule of thumb. As I understand, there is 1000 lb of hard tank. 375 port QF, 375 starboard QF and 250 center. There is an optional bow pnp but you would see that bag if it's there. The boat likely has 3 ballast pumps. 1 each rear pnp and then the center tank.

What I'd do to start, much like H said above:

Fill both quicksurf tanks and center. Fill surf side pnp bag. Regular 10-20% trim tab, goofy 90-100% trim tab. Use quicksurf tab on the opposite side to clean up the wave. Just click it down a little and you should see the difference. You can also drain off some opposite side quickfill tank while underway to see if that cleans up the wave.

I'd tell him to change the pnp bags though if they're the stock 550's. These Sumo 1000's fit the best I think: https://www.wakemakers.com/straight-line-sumo-max-1000-rear-ballast-bag.html  I went with Flyhigh  fatsac 1100's but they don't fill all of the way. He'll need 2 of the quick disconnect plugs per bag: https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-pro-x-series-fitting-w743.html Get engine divider reinforcements too.

viking    491
On 9/5/2018 at 8:35 PM, Jetter said:

Thanks

Jetter,

Sorry haven't been on here in quite some time.  Maybe you already got this all figured out?  

Yes Center tank is what some refer to "bow ballast".  It is approx 250lbs.  S21 doesn't have this option but 226 and 238 do.

I also run 80lbs of lead under each side bow cushion in the coolers since they aren't really good for anything but holding more weight :)   You know when it's empty by the change in sound of the pump so you have to pay attention or you'll burn the pump impellers out.

You are right on Hard Quick Fill tanks and then PnP sacks above filled/drained with 2way pumps.  Alot of us run bigger sacks like the bag buster kits that run up under the side seats for an additional few hundred pounds.  I also have another 80lbs of lead in under seat storage mid ship each side. 

Edited by viking

On my 2015 S226 I've been running:

Surf side quickfill tank full (non surf side empty)

Both upgraded plug and play bags full

200lbs lead in front

Mission delta wakeshaper

25% trim regular, 100% trim goofy

I'm getting a clean wave shoulder high on my 5' tall wife.  

Weighted like this with the wakeshaper I'm getting a better wave than listing the boat hard.  

Well this is the only one I've got and the boat isn't fully up to speed.  My wife is still pulling herself into the wave, but it stays that high and the lip cleans up substantially.  

Resized952019091495142818.jpg

Cdifranco    463
On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 5:45 PM, danbolinlives said:

On my 2015 S226 I've been running:

Surf side quickfill tank full (non surf side empty)

Both upgraded plug and play bags full

200lbs lead in front

Mission delta wakeshaper

25% trim regular, 100% trim goofy

I'm getting a clean wave shoulder high on my 5' tall wife.  

Weighted like this with the wakeshaper I'm getting a better wave than listing the boat hard.  

How much more gas are you burning?  I like the delta for when we are looking to quickly swap sides, my older model doesn't have quick surf option.  But my big complaint is going from burning 2-4 gallons an hour to 10 gallons an hour by using the delta.   For my 43 gallon tank filling up twice a day sucks and is a time waster for us with only 1 gas station on the lake.