Sign in to follow this  
BigFoiz

Subwoofer short

BigFoiz    23

I have a 2012 SV233 and am having some trouble with the subwoofer. It basically cuts in and out over the course of the day out on the water. Has anyone had this problem previously? My boat has the WS sub from the factory mounted behind the kick panel but that's the extent of my knowledge. Even when its actually working, it sounds as though its buried under 3 feet of dirt, just really muffled and crappy. My old boat had a custom box with a kicker 12 under the seat and that thing hit HARD and was clear compared to this set-up. Just looking for some advice to troubleshoot and maybe improve the sound once I get it working again.

Wylie_Tunes    146

Is it the self-powered HT AS-10? You are going to need to monitor the amps power light when the issue is present. Step one to see if the amp is powering off, going into protect mode or if the woofer is stopping. If the amp shuts off, as in no lights on, you are looking at a voltage issue. If it going into protect mode, you could be looking at a woofer problem or voltage problem.

truekaotik    458

Yeah it's the HT-AS10 in that year and model Wylie.

Remove the wall and Start with what Wylie has outlined, if it's too much trouble or you don't understand, it will be best to take it to a reputable Marine audio shop to have it looked at. If you have knowledge about audio it's a plus to do on your own. They do sound like dirt behind the facade and improperly tuned from the factory. It may of pulled the screws out and fell off the wall as well and damaged. First thing is to access it and take a look.

Cdifranco    463

Had this exact problem. Sent it back to wet sounds and they sent me a new one, on mine it was the built in sub amp that was junk. Everything else checked out fine

BigFoiz    23

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll pull the panel and see what I can see. The unfortunate part about diagnosis is that it seems to come in and out when the boat is bouncing along under way. I'm not sure I could replicate that sitting in my driveway. Maybe I'll have to have my wife pull me around town behind the truck while I check it out lol.

truekaotik    458

It could of fell off the wall and the power clip is popping in and out of the connector. Could be a speaker connection inside enclosure or a bad amplifier.

Wylie_Tunes    146

Wiggle and tug the wires. If a cable is loose, that should uncover it.

BigFoiz    23

Wiggle and tug the wires. If a cable is loose, that should uncover it.

I'll give it a good wiggle and tug, see what happens ;)

truekaotik    458

I'll give it a good wiggle and tug, see what happens ;)

roflmao..

BigFoiz    23

So I pulled the sub out from behind the kick panel. Its just a WS 10" sub in a fully sealed box. No amp attached, only speaker wire going into the box. I have WS Syn6 amp mounted up under the observers seat so I'm wondering if that amp is powering all the speakers by itself. If turned the stereo on and fooled around with the box a bit. I pulled the speaker wire and reconnected it and the sub was still going in and out. Pulled the speaker out of the box to check connections to the speaker internally and it all looked good. I guess I'll take a look at that amp and wiggle some wires on that end of things.

Nick213    583

Sounds like a voltage or RCA issue to me. The experts will chime in soon though!

truekaotik    458

So I pulled the sub out from behind the kick panel. Its just a WS 10" sub in a fully sealed box. No amp attached, only speaker wire going into the box. I have WS Syn6 amp mounted up under the observers seat so I'm wondering if that amp is powering all the speakers by itself. If turned the stereo on and fooled around with the box a bit. I pulled the speaker wire and reconnected it and the sub was still going in and out. Pulled the speaker out of the box to check connections to the speaker internally and it all looked good. I guess I'll take a look at that amp and wiggle some wires on that end of things.

Ok you have the version prior to the year that the AT-AS10 was introduced it seems.. Do you have tower speakers? If not, the Syn6 is prolly running the interior speakers. Yes check connections on amplifier now.

Edited by truekaotik

Wylie_Tunes    146

I agree. Pretty safe bet that the Syn-6 is running the sub, along with other speakers. Whats good about that, it that is does narrow some things down. However, it doesnt make it any simpler. Given how the Syn-6 is designed, you can see an issue with chnls 5 and 6, that you wont experience on chnls 1-4. No protect light and no code flashing, just an issue. It sounds this is what you have, since the sub is the only driver going out.

Voltage sag at the amp power terminals could be a cause. If the Sub is fed its signal direct to the 5/6 RCAs, switch the amp to 1/2. If the sub signal is already passing through from 1/2. add a set of RCA and switch it to direct.

BigFoiz    23

Okay so I made the rounds and didn't find a problem. I went back to the sub and checked the resistance at the plug in the back of the box. No reading. So, I pulled the speaker out again and checked the terminals. They were all rusted out (go figure, its a sealed box). I cleaned them up really well and crimped the connections tight and it works like a champ now. I had checked it earlier and it was fine but I guess I needed to jostle it around a bit more to get it to lose continuity. Any recommendations on how to set up the amp and Clarion HU to get this sub to sound decent? Its pretty dull sounding over all even when it's working.

truekaotik    458

Yeah id recommend take it to a professional for tuning...

Edited by truekaotik

BigFoiz    23

Yeah id recommend take it to a professional for tuning...

I actually did take it to a local shop but when I got there I realized that "professional" was not a word I would use to describe the guys at that shop. I wouldn't have trusted them with my bicycle lol. I'll have to keep looking

• Like 1

truekaotik    458

Most definitely find one you feel comfortable with.