Sign in to follow this  
JeffR

Stereo Feedback While Boat is Running

JeffR    0

Hey Everyone,

First question from a new user! I have a 2013 Enzo 230+ that I bought new and have been getting bad feedback from my Wetsounds stereo this summer that has been getting worse. It only happens when the boat is running which makes me think it's a ground issue somewhere. Anyone have issues like this? Any suggestions as to where I should start looking?

Also shoutout to the AB Canada Crew on here! Anyone out at Ghost Lake? Anyone make it down to Koocanusa last weekend? If not, you missed out!

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

DrNate    426

I had the same problem. Everyone will tell you the correct fix is indeed a ground problem. But in a hurry, this enexpensive fix worked for me and took 2 minutes to put it in. It's been working fine ever since.

https://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI-1-Noise-Isolator/dp/B000K50HJE/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1469566148&sr=8-7&keywords=ground+loop+isolator

Wylie_Tunes    146

Guess im not everyone, :guitar: cause I wont tell you its a ground problem. In most cases, its an issue between the head unit (which is not wet sounds) voltage reference and the amplifier voltage reference. However, since this a 2013 boat and the problem has recently popped up, this kinda rules out the usual wiring mistakes that lead to ground looping. GLI's are truly a band-aid and can only work if you isolate where the unwanted noise is getting in. But, they may not fix a component or cabling issue, which you may very well have.

JeffR    0

Thanks for the advice guys. I have somewhere to start now.

Chexi    35

Are you getting a hum, a whine or are you getting a hiss?

DrPringle    10

Start by discounting the ground at the amp one at a time if it goes away you've found your problem if not try the RCA's then the positive leads check everyone in the complete system deck and ws420 aswell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chexi    35

If this is an older WS420 and you are using HCLD speakers, you will get some amount of hiss. You can lower it by lowering the gains, but you cannot eliminate it. Only audible when volume is all the way down. If this is your issue, you cannot solve it without getting a newer WS420. I have the same issue on my SAN, but I have tuned the system so that it is barely audible, and once you turn the volume up at all, it is inaudible.

JeffR    0

Chexi - this is more than just a small amount of hiss. It's a loud whine indicative of feedback. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I'm going to check the gain as well just to make sure it also ins't too high.

DrPringle - Thanks for the advice!

Chexi    35

Whine sounds like engine noise, which I think as others have said is probably due to a bad ground. Are you HU and amps on a completely separate circuit/battery from your engine? I know that if I hooked my phone up to a 12v jack for power and then hooked my phone up by cable to my HU, I would get wicked engine whine due to the 12v jack being on the same battery as the engine.

Jgrgich    0

I know this topic is old but I had some wicked engine noise coming through my speakers.  And I'd getting buzzing if I actuated any other electronics (blower pump, rear hatch, etc).  I separated my speaker wires as best I could from battery and other power wires, ensured ground from amp was ran directly to battery and still not fix.  I finally ran a separate ground for my stereo unit and ALL BACKGROUND NOISE WAS GONE!!!!  I was so stoked!!  So for anyone out there trouble shooting background noise (engine noise) make sure both your amp and stereo unit (some call it head unit) are grounded directly to the battery and nog through a fuse block.