Tommywalton1974

Soulcraft. It's time

So I've been wanting a new board and have noticed a lot of members here are loving soulcraft. I contacted Jeff Wahlers to begin the initial build. He suggested an HC pro 4'7" x 20.75"X1.5, I trust his suggestion. For those of you who ride soulcraft do you have any suggestions For the build? Also if I get on it now I hope I can get in some time on it this year!

• Like 1

DarksideR    1,679

Congrats!

Just put your trust in Jeff. I think he knows his stuff! LOL

I'd get all the fin boxes you think you'll want for future fin configs. For some reason, I've always wanted a twinzer myself.

Ok thanks Dark. Any suggestions as far as traction?

DarksideR    1,679

The stuff from Soulcraft is great. I opted out of the arch bar. It's personal preference. I'm trying to get my hands on some Viskus to try it out.

I also use Punt wax on top of the traction. May pull off the front traction and do wax only. Although, I'm not too sure how much longer my board is gonna last as is. I've got quite the concave happening on the top deck from landing too hard sometimes. The traction adds a bit of padding.

I went with the arch pad on IS BBFB. I do not like it at all. The top is already convex and with that it just feels funny. I switched to a Victoria skim and it's super flat and stable. I was hoping the top of the soul craft would be flat.

I'm going to pull the trigger. Sending the deposit today. I'm scared to ask the price. I figure I'll commit and once the deposit is sent I won't talk myself out of it! This is next level for me and now that I have enough boat boards no one will get on this board. Which model to you have Dark?

Jake707    171

Haha. I'm riding a dam hyper lite 4'6 I think I got it for $125 used. I can't justify one of these $800 boards to myself.

DarksideR    1,679

I ride a 4'7 Emily. It's almost like a hybrid board to me as the rails are super sharp compared to most other surf style boards I've ridden.

Jake, I don't know where your riding ability is or how into surfing you are, but once you've tried a "good" surfboard and want to progress, that HL is only gonna hold you back. Some of the boards are pretty ridiculously priced IMO. The custom boards are priced fairly well considering made in the USA one at a time and what not.

• Like 1

Haha. I'm riding a dam hyper lite 4'6 I think I got it for $125 used. I can't justify one of these $800 boards to myself.

I so understand I still have my broadcast! I don't think I can get any further on what I have. Some play golf, some use dope.. I spend mine on surfing! Much healthier than some past activities is the way I see it.
  • Like 1

Jake707    171

Ya I hear you guys but if I loose the board I loose my excuses for being lousy haha............... but I could then blame it on the boats wave and try to pitch for an upgrade next year haha. I don't know enough about the different board styles and features to order one anyway. Skim, surf, one fin in the middle, two fins on the outside, three fins, four fins, etc swoosh.... that's the sound they make as the pass over my head at a high rate of speed haha

• Like 1

Cdifranco    463

A good boards like the difference between a good and bad wave. You have to pay to play

• Like 2

A good boards like the difference between a good and bad wave. You have to pay to play

I feel good about it. I love a skim board. I can get a lot more speed on a surf board and want to try some airs. Jeff said this board has skim rails so it's a hybrid type shape. I think I'll go with 5 fin pockets.
  • Like 1

DarksideR    1,679

I feel good about it. I love a skim board. I can get a lot more speed on a surf board and want to try some airs. Jeff said this board has skim rails so it's a hybrid type shape. I think I'll go with 5 fin pockets.

Make sure you get the fin box plugs if you do. I feel like the empty slots on my ShredStixx quad fin actually slows the board down. It's crazy, that board used to feel so amazing to me and now I barely ever ride it! Tried it last time out with all four fins in it and didn't like that at all.

• Like 1

Make sure you get the fin box plugs if you do. I feel like the empty slots on my ShredStixx quad fin actually slows the board down. It's crazy, that board used to feel so amazing to me and now I barely ever ride it! Tried it last time out with all four fins in it and didn't like that at all.

I've seen your pics. You've just progressed! Send that shred stixx to Mississippi!

viking    491

I ride a 4'7 Emily. It's almost like a hybrid board to me as the rails are super sharp compared to most other surf style boards I've ridden.

If you don't mind what fins and fin setup are you running on your Emily currently?

DarksideR    1,679

Thanks Tommy. I definitely have gotten better over the past year. Been fortunate enough to get out more and surf with some really good surfers. Helps so much.

I just got these and I'm still not 100% sure I like them. https://futuresfins.com/en-us/jc1-blackstix-3-0-4550-406-00-detail

Wondering if I should have gotten something with more pivot

Dark, do soulcraft fin pockets accept a reasonably affordable fin? IS find are stupid expensive.

DarksideR    1,679

They are whatever Future fins are. I think I've seen some other brands of fins that are compatible with Futures boxes. The worst part is very few fins are sold as twins. Mine was a tri fin kit. Around $100.

Jake707    171

Correction the board I have is an obrien alias 5'

post-7643-0-83131300-1469373914_thumb.jpeg

post-7643-0-54379500-1469373990_thumb.jpeg

post-7643-0-89304900-1469374031_thumb.jpeg

Jake707    171

The hyper lite was a big 6' board that came with this board but I sold it for $100. Don't know anymore about the obrien though. Haha.

Jake dude take the plunge! Make that a boat board bro