13randon

Homemade "suckgate" success story.

chenige    84

I am going to SketchUp the suck gate. Needed dimensions

Size of gate (XxX)

Angle to boat of gate ( degrees back, 20?)

Opinions?

Jake707    171

I started with a 12x12 piece of HDPE plastic from Amazon as the plate. It sucked, no pun intended. I then trimmed it down to 7" wide and 9" tall as most did on here, which also matches the specs of the $500 joint, and it worked much better. As for angle I didn't do any math or measurements, I just used a 1/2' spacer on the top bolts and a 1" spacer on the bottom bolts, both spacers go between the plate and L bracket and I put fender washers between every point of contact.

Copenglenn    44

I am going to SketchUp the suck gate. Needed dimensions

Size of gate (XxX)

Angle to boat of gate ( degrees back, 20?)

Opinions?

I made the plate 7.5" X 10.5" out of 1/2" HDPE. I made it 105° to the back.

On the second one I made, I used the surfstow handle and made a baseplate that fits between the 2 suction cups. I then mounted the surf plate in the middle with a cutout for the handle, so I could get to both suction levers without a problem.

Kind of sounds confusing but I'll get a picture tonight to post if I can remember.

Copenglenn    44

My next question I have the side swipe exhaust where should I sick my suckgate?

I mount mine right in front of the sideswipe outlet. This also puts it far enough in the water to reduce spray from the gate. I've also mounted it above the sideswipe outlet and as far rear as possible and it worked just as well.

chenige    84

Where is the best suction cup thingy from? Cosmos / Amazon?

What is surfstow?

Edited by chenige

enzo101mo    98

I mount mine right in front of the sideswipe outlet. This also puts it far enough in the water to reduce spray from the gate. I've also mounted it above the sideswipe outlet and as far rear as possible and it worked just as well.

Thanks for advice I just went to my shop and cut out a set, but can't assemble it till I get my suction cups Arrive. Oh I been watching suckgate videos on you tube and it looks like you mount the suck gate to the opposite side you want the wave, is that right?

I was checking out my friend Axis Boat surf gate. I measure out to be 12" wide and 19" long with two heavy duty SS hinges and a Lenco Actuator. Then my Wife said; you'll have to drill holes in the boat, is that a good thing to do. I looked at the rear corner of my Enzo and it has a terrace drop layer so hinges would be a problem.

My next question I have the side swipe exhaust where should I sick my suckgate?

if you are going to do all that just build an interceptor blade. Deploy it on the non surf side it will produce massive lift and list the boat. It also creates drag and makes the boat crab like a gate. Google zip wake. Similar to NSS. If you are going to drill holes I mean.. I tested it and it works great.

Check it out http://www.zipwake.com/

Edited by Tommywalton1974

enzo101mo    98

Thanks TommyWalton: I decided just to do the Suckgate instead. I was looking at Nautique website and they have this sliding flat blade mounted on the transom. This blade is concealed until you deploy it.

Copenglenn    44

Thanks for advice I just went to my shop and cut out a set, but can't assemble it till I get my suction cups Arrive. Oh I been watching suckgate videos on you tube and it looks like you mount the suck gate to the opposite side you want the wave, is that right?

Yes, you mount it opposite the side you're surfing on. It creates a lot of turbulence on the side you mount it on.

chenige    84

Well I already ordered the CHROME Cosmos.

Funny thing is that items purchased with the Cosmos is a cutting board and sheet of plastic. Cosmos must be wondering why their sales are going up.

Copenglenn    44

The cosmos one works great. It has tons of suction. I would suggest mounting the blade of it in the middle of the handle so you have easy access to both your levers.

It's funny that those are the suggested items to purchase together. I guess the wake boat community has spoken lol.

There's several new "companies" popping up that are making their own brand of suckgate for sale and I've noticed some of them are using the aluminum cosmos handle as well.

Mpod    2

Tried the 7x9 plate last weekend. Had a lot of push and had to increase our normal speed. Two people went rope less for the first time.

Tried a 7x12 plate and the wake looks better still. Pic attached with just me in the boat.

Still tweaking all the variables and having fun with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mpod    2

af2b87fda7a353a74da72f3d1aa6623b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

enzo101mo    98

Mpod Nice wave!...

.I just got my suction double cup this evening and can't wait to put it together

DarksideR    1,679

I really do think that this is great, but somehow just feels like blasphemy on a Centurion or Supreme. Am I the only one?

• Like 3

h20king    794

I really do think that this is great, but somehow just feels like blasphemy on a Centurion or Supreme. Am I the only one?

no I'm right there with you.
  • Like 2

gravity12    83

Like most things now days people are willing to spare a little quality to have instant gratification. It's nothing I would put on eather of your boats but it has worked out quite well on my old elite v.

• Like 1