13randon

Homemade "suckgate" success story.

BigFoiz    23

Got any pictures?

I don't know how to get them embedded into the thread. I don't see an icon to attach a photo...

Jake707    171

next to post there is a button named "More reply Options" click that then there will be an "attach photo" section. That's where you do it. If the picture is too big you will need to resize it using one of the apps listed or what ive done is email them from my phone to myself and the email will resize them then use the pictures in the email to attach.

Tapatalk app makes it easy

Really? I'm on that

stoked    1,039

Tapatalk app makes it easy

Really? I'm on that

Incredibly easy. When posting hit this button:

cd98a9a6385b9c608c3445f3be4866be.png

It will take you to your camera library. You can select photos or videos

BigFoiz    23

Okay I think I got it figured out. Here is a pic of the suckgate attached to the boat and a pic of the regular side wave (sorry, didn't get a pic of the goofy wave before we switched sides. This was with the ballast set-up that I previously mentioned in the thread.post-7683-0-28544700-1470140855_thumb.jpgpost-7683-0-94804100-1470140863_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Sata3000    15

Okay I think I got it figured out. Here is a pic of the suckgate attached to the boat and a pic of the regular side wave (sorry, didn't get a pic of the goofy wave before we switched sides. This was with the ballast set-up that I previously mentioned in the thread. 20160716_180808__1470081358_87107.jpg 20160729_173413__1470081159_22863__1470081159_84008.jpg

Can you list yoyr parts for your suckgate and why all the holes?

BigFoiz    23

Can you list yoyr parts for your suckgate and why all the holes?

I bought the Cosmos heavy duty aluminum suction cup and 1/2" HDPE plastic sheet in a 12 x 24" size. That and a few screws and bolts and you're on your way for $30. I drilled the holed because the original suction cup handle didn't hold so I was trying to relieve a little pressure on the plate. Now with the Cosmos handle (which is LEGIT) I'm going to build another one without holes and maybe a bit bigger. The plate is 7 x 9" and set about 60 deg from the side of the boat (ideally should be 75 deg I found out now).

Sata3000    15

I bought the Cosmos heavy duty aluminum suction cup and 1/2" HDPE plastic sheet in a 12 x 24" size. That and a few screws and bolts and you're on your way for $30. I drilled the holed because the original suction cup handle didn't hold so I was trying to relieve a little pressure on the plate. Now with the Cosmos handle (which is LEGIT) I'm going to build another one without holes and maybe a bit bigger. The plate is 7 x 9" and set about 60 deg from the side of the boat (ideally should be 75 deg I found out now).

Awesome Thank You!!!! Next question, will you still angle the edges on your next HDPE plastic sheet?

jiriki    13

Pic of the back side? I am having trouble visualizing how you got board attached to the handle.

BigFoiz    23

I think the beveled edges of the plate is a good idea to eliminate some of the splash and help the water flow around it with a bit less turbulence. I attached a picture of another suckgate (not mine) that I modeled mine after. Basically you have 2 triangular pieces of HDPE sandwiched on either side of the suction cup handle and sitting on top of the suction cups themselves. You have to drill a few holes through the plastic and into the handle so you can run a couple bolts through to hold the plastic to the aluminum handle. At that point I just used a handful of wood screws to attache the face plate to the two triangular pillars (which are now attached to the handle). Pretty slick...

post-7683-0-30761100-1470158567_thumb.jpg

Jake707    171

That's it! Im cutting my big tush plate down to 7x9 tonight! haha that's a real nice looking wave. Can you tell me how much actual weight you have in each locker? I know you list PNP full etc however im not fancy enough to know what that translates to weight wise

BigFoiz    23

That's it! Im cutting my big tush plate down to 7x9 tonight! haha that's a real nice looking wave. Can you tell me how much actual weight you have in each locker? I know you list PNP full etc however im not fancy enough to know what that translates to weight wise

I have no idea exactly how much weight I have as I know the bags aren't completely full ever. I have the quickfill 500s, rear locker 750's, 650's under the seats. I also have a few hundred lbs of lead weight and a 350 bow sac that I keep up front. I've found that a slight list on the boat with some weight up front is the best in my boat. I don't fill the opposite side bag under the seat so that makes about 650lbs more weight on the surf side. This only lists my boat an imperceptible amount but seemed to make a difference on the wave.

Sata3000    15

Pic of the back side? I am having trouble visualizing how you got board attached to the handle.

This is from another thread on here, but it might answer your question

post-5926-0-32494600-1470164745_thumb.png

• Like 1

WChavez    0

I think with the older hulls (my 2000 elite) the surfgate can really help. Put all the weight in you have (850# both sides, 700# surf seat area) and in the bow. I have a 650# bag in the bow (under seats so it probably is not filling all the way) and would like to try more weight to see if that lengthens the wake. Last year I did not have the surfgate and only filled one side. You cold only surf right behind the boat.

We also have a rather shallow lake. 6'- 15' in surfing areas.

IMG_0870.JPG IMG_0869.JPG IMG_0871.JPG

Mpod    2

You guys made me curious. I had some scrap walnut and some jig hardware laying around. A quick trip to HF and 45 mins of design, sawing and assembly. Out of pocket cost was under $8

Pics are with only me in the boat, so not a great angle. 2013 FX22 with all ballast full. Approx 4k lbs.

What I really like is that I can use the Wingplate to adjust the height and length of the wave. It stays clean from 0% to 100%. This PIC is with wingplate at 80% down. This is about as long and short as it gets.

Will try it with surfers this weekend.

post-7087-0-56832000-1470765526_thumb.jpegpost-7087-0-86739300-1470765539_thumb.jpeg

Mpod    2

Here's a pick with wingplate at 0%.

post-7087-0-06284300-1470767053_thumb.jpeg

h20king    794

You guys made me curious. I had some scrap walnut and some jig hardware laying around. A quick trip to HF and 45 mins of design, sawing and assembly. Out of pocket cost was under $8

Pics are with only me in the boat, so not a great angle. 2013 FX22 with all ballast full. Approx 4k lbs.

What I really like is that I can use the Wingplate to adjust the height and length of the wave. It stays clean from 0% to 100%. This PIC is with wingplate at 80% down. This is about as long and short as it gets.

Will try it with surfers this weekend.

http://www.centurioncrew.com/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif image.jpeghttp://www.centurioncrew.com/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif image.jpeg

Not to be mean but that wake is what most of us consider small and ditty. The secondary lip with wash would drive me crazy. I know the fx or fs 22 makes a way better wake than what you are getting with the ghetto gate

Mpod    2

I see what you mean about the double lip.

As far as the wave size is concerned, that's about the same height that I'm getting listed. Waste high with no one but a driver in the boat.

This is the only listed pick I have on my phone. Five people on board.

post-7087-0-46287100-1470783080_thumb.jpeg