I'm considering fabricating a surf system for my Enzo. 08' sv230. I first thought this would be an easy project to do. Well turns out the fab work is the REALLY easy part. This is where I'm at so far, I plan to use Lenco 101 actuators and momentary switches to operate whatever I fab.

The idea is to evenly weight the boat and change wave convergence with either a "surf gate" type or "quick surf" type of set up. I also am installing an A-plate this week actuated by a single Lenco.

If anyone has either of these systems installed or any experience please share. I don't mind drilling holes I'd just like to try to do it once. I've totally ruled out NSS as it seems to act as a "brake" Sometging about that design seems just wrong.

Thanks

stoked    1,039

I have two DIYs for surf gates, try the wood ones first, they worked well for shallow water, but listing in deep water was the best.

I'd definitely try the a-plate first and see what that gets you first

I know it's going to be hard to beat a listed Enzo. My thinking is 2 full Enzo sacs and the system. That would be beyond cool.

Shaka    146

I'm considering fabricating a surf system for my Enzo. 08' sv230.

If anyone has either of these systems installed or any experience please share. I don't mind drilling holes I'd just like to try to do it once. I've totally ruled out NSS as it seems to act as a "brake" Sometging about that design seems just wrong.

Thanks

The NSS is awesome.

The NSS is awesome.

Really? I wonder what it would do on a 230?

Shaka    146

Really? I wonder what it would do on a 230?

My buddy is introducing a delayed convergence device to market soon and wants to test on my boat. It's basically a cheaper version of one of the current offerings. I'll let you k now how it works.

It's more of a surf gate approach but the NSS pretty much does the same thing just using a different method.

My buddy is introducing a delayed convergence device to market soon and wants to test on my boat. It's basically a cheaper version of one of the current offerings. I'll let you k now how it works.

It's more of a surf gate approach but the NSS pretty much does the same thing just using a different method.

I just received a box of lencos, pretty excited about that. I checked out the NSS, I was wrong that type of system seems to work really well. I hope someone with an aftermarket system will chime in. My platform is off because it broke so the other day I spent way too much time hanging off the back watching how water flows.. NSS type of system would be pretty simple to fab

DarksideR    1,679

Someone on WW or the MB forum, can't remember which made his own NSS system. It was done incredibly well.

Dandy    43
Someone on WW or the MB forum, can't remember which made his own NSS system. It was done incredibly well.

I think there is a thread or two on PN as well. With access to the right manufacturing equipment, the NSS style would probably be the easiest....not necessarily the most effective, but the easiest. That said, NSS does seem to work quite well considering the G23 was a wakeboard boat first and is now well received for surfing.

DarksideR    1,679

I think all the surf systems are kinda hokey and dislike how they protrude from the back of the boat and create possible shin and ankle injuries while playing at the swim grid. The NSS doesn't hardly stick out at all and looks super clean. The only other one that looks near as clean and like it belongs is the Malibooo surf gates. But those appear to introduce a rather dangerous pinch point to me.

I just bought a 2016 FS33 and did not have Quicksurf as an option. I may regret this when I sell it years from now and everybody wants to surf level, but somehow I think I'll be ok and am happy with my decision.

Chexi    35

DarksideR, I would not worry. At least as of now, QSP can be added to your boat and fully integrated into the computer just like it was installed in the factory (at least that is what I have been told, and my dealer is doing it for me). As such, it should not negatively impact resale value because a subsequent buyer could have it added.

Even if the above option goes away, the wakemakers version is essentially the same thing (although the shape of the tabs is different). So it is not like things were a year or two ago when there was a big delta between those boats that came with a surf system and those that did not. Couple that with the success of the suck gates, etc...

• Like 1

NSS will be easiest. I have all the tools. I have decided to copy to some degree centurions quick surf. One of the many articles I've read was very interesting. Some hydrodynamics students did a study on tab vs brake vs gate systems, incredibly the NSS burned a whopping 46% more fuel when engaged. That's a deal breaker for me.

I don't know this because I've never seen one, but the study claimed a centurion with the surf tabs had a decrease in engine load and rpm while surfing with one side down. I don't know.

I see the danger of the tabs maybe hurting someone. I guess I'll need to give a warning before people swim. We don't swim much we usually just surf all day. With a 3-5 man crew.

Edited by Tommywalton1974

stoked    1,039

NSS will be easiest. I have all the tools. I have decided to copy to some degree centurions quick surf. One of the many articles I've read was very interesting. Some hydrodynamics students did a study on tab vs brake vs gate systems, incredibly the NSS burned a whopping 46% more fuel when engaged. That's a deal breaker for me.

I don't know this because I've never seen one, but the study claimed a centurion with the surf tabs had a decrease in engine load and rpm while surfing with one side down. I don't know.

I see the danger of the tabs maybe hurting someone. I guess I'll need to give a warning before people swim. We don't swim much we usually just surf all day. With a 3-5 man crew.

Do you have a link to the articles?

souperfly    41

I have the switchblade, and no one that I know of has ever tagged their leg on it. And the blade sticks out waaay further than any tab...

Do you have a link to the articles?

http://www.mmwatersports.com/boat-performance/surf-systems-101/

Here is the one I got the most out of, although the man seems slightly biased!

Thanks for that about the switchblade I didn't think about that.

stoked    1,039

Yeah saw that, was hoping for the one from Michigan. He's definitely biased ;)

Lak3surf3r    714

I would say its the opposite... I burn 46% more fuel in my RI237 than any of my 6 friends with g23s with the same motor as me and the boats are similar shapes/sizes/weights. that could be from the RI having 5100lbs of stock ballast as compared to the 2850lbs on the g23. They also run a 2:1 with a 17" prop vs the RIs 1.72:1 with a 14.5" prop. That article is very biased but I would honestly bet that the NSS style would work the most efficiently for you along with being the most out of the way system.

Edited by Lak3surf3r

I would say its the opposite... I burn 46% more fuel in my RI237 than any of my 6 friends with g23s with the same motor as me and the boats are similar shapes/sizes/weights. that could be from the RI having 5100lbs of stock ballast as compared to the 2850lbs on the g23. They also run a 2:1 with a 17" prop vs the RIs 1.72:1 with a 14.5" prop. That article is very biased but I would honestly bet that the NSS style would work the most efficiently for you along with being the most out of the way system.

thanks for the input. You know.. I'm just going to have to built it and see if it works. If I'm not happy I can change it up. My god that's a lot of weigh factory. Wow.

• Like 1

surfjh    0

Has anyone tried the Wakemakers WaveControl Surf System? I'm curious to hear about how it works on the Centurion deep v hull.

Thanks

Cdifranco    463

"Now, I dont have the specifics of what engines or props the boats were running, but if they were".... Well I gave my opinion with out any ligit data to back up my research?

Let me compare an ex343 to lakesurfers h6 or whatever he has? Come on