Well I've been at it a few weeks now making patterns and sewing at night. its been a major undertaking so i thought I would share some success and failures of upholstery work for a newbie. the seams on the rear deck pieces are bad. I am much better now that I've learned some tricks using basting tape and very careful, slow work. i figure vinyl for the smaller seat skins, I'm in each one maybe 10.00 and the deck pieces 20.00 each, tops. anyway here are some pics. Oh the sewing machine and vinyl cost me about 1000.00 dollars. thats the same price i was quoted locally for the rear deck. so Im WAY ahead.post-5220-0-58800500-1466026535_thumb.jpg

I'm having trouble uploading pics.

post-5220-0-05106900-1466026838_thumb.jpg

post-5220-0-47157300-1466026989_thumb.jpg

post-5220-0-61007900-1466027103_thumb.jpg

post-5220-0-89874300-1466027185_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tommywalton1974
  • Like 3

chadr    328

Well I've been at it a few weeks now making patterns and sewing at night. its been a major undertaking so i thought I would share some success and failures of upholstery work for a newbie. the seams on the rear deck pieces are bad. I am much better now that I've learned some tricks using basting tape and very careful, slow work. i figure vinyl for the smaller seat skins, I'm in each one maybe 10.00 and the deck pieces 20.00 each, tops. anyway here are some pics. Oh the sewing machine and vinyl cost me about 1000.00 dollars. thats the same price i was quoted locally for the rear deck. so Im WAY ahead.

I'm having trouble uploading pics.

I think its turning out great!!! Keep up the good work!

stoked    1,039

Nice work!! New career in your future? ;)

Rhale    80

Sweet! Huge change and gotta love the price. We had our last boat totally redone and cost us 3X that and I'd still do it again. One of the best improvements you can do!

geb202002    24

Looks pretty good! When are you going to start on mine ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DarksideR    1,679

Looks like you're doing a bang up job! I think you could use a steamer to take out a couple of those wrinkles, or the little bumps at the corners. Your boats gonna look GREAT!!

chenige    84

My professionally done interior has a few of those puckers also. Hopefully the sun will tighten them up a bit.

Great work.

Looks like you're doing a bang up job! I think you could use a steamer to take out a couple of those wrinkles, or the little bumps at the corners. Your boats gonna look GREAT!!

My professionally done interior has a few of those puckers also. Hopefully the sun will tighten them up a bit.

Great work.

thanks guys. Im working on that rear seat back. The wide one that faces forward. it has 3 smaller individual pieces. one image is of the original next to the new one. I changed it up a bit, went to the wally world and bought some 1/2" foam to give it some dimension. sewed it right on in. I did a french seam because the orange thread pops against that dark color. Also this boat had no orange color at all in it. I went to centurions build your own interior on the main site and copied a 2016 interior with a few changes. The orange color looks great against this baby blue interior color. I dislike this baby blue but thats a whole other story..

I was thinking about getting a steamer, I hope the sun will help smooth those out.

I will post pics of the rear seat when donepost-5220-0-61461300-1466095639_thumb.jpgpost-5220-0-06586800-1466095659_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Jake707    171

dam I'd say for never doing this before you couldn't have done it better. Like already mentioned a steamer will help form around those corners and soften the transition but all in all its a great job.

• Like 1

WakeDoc    471

All I can say is WOW! Great job!

Now Papa Smurf called and wants his boat back... :laughing: ...need to learn how to do wraps next.

All I can say is WOW! Great job!

Now Papa Smurf called and wants his boat back... :laughing: ...need to learn how to do wraps next.

i swear ive considered it! guess mine would be the perfect one to practice on! how hard can it be?? then i wouldn't have to look at that silly arse baby blue tribal :thumbdown:

dam I'd say for never doing this before you couldn't have done it better. Like already mentioned a steamer will help form around those corners and soften the transition but all in all its a great job.

I wonder what type of steamer would be the best?

Jake707    171

There are $40 ones at target and Walmart that should work for the job but probably wont last too long after or you could spend $1500 on a commercial unit and everything in between . All depends on what you want to spend and if you have any plans for serious usage of it once this project is completed.

EliteV    1

Hell yes, I wish I could do this haha.. ill probably drop 4k :thumbdown:

RhuntIII    555
41 minutes ago, knotguilty said:

Looks great!  What kind of thread did you use?

How did I miss this post? Thanks @knotguilty for the resurrection very cool. @Tommywalton1974 dude post up finished pics of your boat especially after a year.