rrd525

Trailering requirements

cjohnson    33

This is not true. Equal-i-zer has WDH hitches compatible with surge breaks. Below is a link from an etrailer staff explaining this to a consumers question

https://www.etrailer.com/question-51522.html

Below is a link to some of the Equal-i-zer hitches that have surge brake capabilities.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Weight_Distribution-pm-Equal~i~zer.aspx

If you search around on boat forums, you can find photos of people that have successfully installed these on their trailers. I think this is good information for those that may wish to add some safety to their tow set up.

The Reese SC will also work with surge brakes. The issue is that they have ~30" arms which won't fit on a lot of trailers with a swing away tongue.

boatnut    230

I know of these systems, but they have wearing parts, and the jury is still out, you just need to have the right rig to. Start, trust me my Tahoe had 8100 or so as well, and it sucked with my 210 behind it., and it makes it worse with all the mountains we had,. But I also found that a longer tongue can help control sway, as well as air bags in the back of the truck

rrd525    40

Airbags help take out tons of sway and porpoising. Had them in my last few trucks and will continue to add them in the future.

Lak3surf3r    714

Lak3,

I just bought a 2016 Heartland Bighorn 3575EL to put on our vacation property in Deschutes County Or. The max height which is measured at the top of the air conditioners comes in at

13' 3" as you will see here. http://www.heartlandrvs.com/brands/luxuryfw/bighorn/bh-3575-elite

We just had a 24' X 48' clear span pole building built with a 14' X 14' roll up door to put the fifth wheel into. Maybe you are going off past builds specs but the ones today are coming in at just a tick over 13'.

Hrrrm mine is an 02 and is definitely 8.5 wide but ill have to measure it for the height. Just looking at it I assumed it was taller. The AC unit is level with the top of my railing on my 2nd story balcony.

cjohnson    33

Airbags help take out tons of sway and porpoising. Had them in my last few trucks and will continue to add them in the future.

This actually sounds like it might be a good option since a WDH doesn't work. Our boat is probably 7,500-8,000 lbs with trailer, fuel, gear, etc. and I find that the our Ram 1500 bounces uncomfortably when going over speed bumps at low speeds. Do you have any suggestions what to look for or go with for airbags?

We took our G23 through the mountains with a F150 last year and I don't remember feeling uncomfortable in any way behind that truck. Maybe the suspension is better than the Dodge.

rrd525    40

I used Coil Rite in our Avalanche 1500, and use Ride Rite in the Silverado 1500.

Both super easy to install. You really noticed the difference in the firmness of the Avalanche. It kept the rear end square and planted. Especially with the addition of a C rated tire versus the P rated Goodyear Wranglers.
On the Silverado, I usually keep 8 to 15lbs of air in the bags (they can max out at 100), and it tows our current 4800 lb Boat and trailer on a Tandem nicely. Was on the Stock Bridgestone P-rated tires and never felt the rear end be squirmy.
Box is fully loaded with a weeks beach gear, clothes, food, and 4 passengers. And kept it under all the Gross max weights.
This is on longer hauls 380 km each way.

rrd525    40

On our 1500 the current factory receiver is only rated for 5000lbs Trailer Weight carrying / 600 lbs Tongue Weight

or 10000 Trailer with WDH / 1100 Tongue Weight. (Funny, some of the Ford F350 work trucks have the same capacity limits)

The Silverado is rated to 7000 lbs Trailer Weight carrying / 800 lbs Tongue Weight, so looks like the factory receiver will need to be swapped out for a heavier Class IV or Class V to meet the S238 requirements.

cjohnson    33

On our 1500 the current factory receiver is only rated for 5000lbs Trailer Weight carrying / 600 lbs Tongue Weight

or 10000 Trailer with WDH / 1100 Tongue Weight. (Funny, some of the Ford F350 work trucks have the same capacity limits)

The Silverado is rated to 7000 lbs Trailer Weight carrying / 800 lbs Tongue Weight, so looks like the factory receiver will need to be swapped out for a heavier Class IV or Class V to meet the S238 requirements.

Our Ram 1500 is good to 9,950 lbs with a WDH and I think is a class IV receiver so I don't think it's an issue (although don't know for sure). Below is an except from their towing chart. It's a little confusing because they say recommended and max in the same note.

"The maximum trailer weight is 5,000 pounds for a weight-carrying hitch. A weight distributing system is recommended for trailers over 5,000 pounds."

cjohnson    33

I used Coil Rite in our Avalanche 1500, and use Ride Rite in the Silverado 1500.

Both super easy to install. You really noticed the difference in the firmness of the Avalanche. It kept the rear end square and planted. Especially with the addition of a C rated tire versus the P rated Goodyear Wranglers.

On the Silverado, I usually keep 8 to 15lbs of air in the bags (they can max out at 100), and it tows our current 4800 lb Boat and trailer on a Tandem nicely. Was on the Stock Bridgestone P-rated tires and never felt the rear end be squirmy.

Box is fully loaded with a weeks beach gear, clothes, food, and 4 passengers. And kept it under all the Gross max weights.

This is on longer hauls 380 km each way.

I did some research and it looks like you can get bags with or without compressors. We might trailer two or three times max a year so is it worth getting the one with a compressor? How do you fill the ones without a compressor? Do you notice a difference in ride when they're not filled up? I know it's a lot of questions - I know nothing about them. Thanks.

rrd525    40

Yes with WDH, you should be good as long as meeting all other load requirements on the truck and trailer.
We don't want to use WDH with a surge brakes nor play around with setting it up each time we want to head out. Especially if my wife wants to take it on her own.
Just ordered an upgraded receiver, that will meet the requirements and fall within the manufacturers specs.

For the Air bags, I have never installed an onboard compressor. Honestly, they take such little air and you rarely need to play with it once you have an idea, that I swapped out my licence plate bolts for the Air Schrader valves and just use a hand bike pump, a few quick blasts, or my compressor if it is handy.
Going to the local lake, I am usually at 8lbs, on a loaded up road trip, 12 to 15 typically. You may find different settings work better, depending on your tongue weight, bed load, etc..

• Like 1

boatnut    230

Get a Val air compressor off amazon, dirt cheap, get the bags, I had Firestone air lift, but 1/2 tonne trucks should not be towing 8k # boats, I don't care what anybody says....

volzalum    280

I put the AirRide Smart Ride system on my truck. It is great, but they are all very similar and will accomplish the same goal.

DarksideR    1,679

Get a Val air compressor off amazon, dirt cheap, get the bags, I had Firestone air lift, but 1/2 tonne trucks should not be towing 8k # boats, I don't care what anybody says....

I'm towing the FS33 with my F150. Wouldn't leave town with it though. New truck is coming soon hopefully.

Cdifranco    463

I'm towing the FS33 with my F150. Wouldn't leave town with it though. New truck is coming soon hopefully.

Fineline is offering a new truck package with the purchase of a boat!?!? No way! Sign me up too! Imagine if they did, that would be sweet

• Like 1