rrd525

Trailering requirements

rrd525    40

Couple questions in regards to trailer towing requirements in BC.

For British Columbia it states that surge brakes alone are not sufficient for trailers registered at 2800kg (6173 lbs) GVW or above, and they must have a means of being operated via the driver in the cab. Therefore you would need electric over Hydraulic and I don't think the trailers are coming this way.

Gross trailer weight of more than 2,800 kg (6,173 Ibs) – Brakes are required, and the trailer brakes must be capable of being applied by the driver independently of the towing vehicle's brakes. A surge brake does NOT meet this requirement. A breakaway brake is also required. Brakes are required on all axles.

With an S238 having a dryweight of 4800 lbs, then other options and accessories and the the trailer weighing 1300 to 1400lbs you would be over 6173 lbs, so couldn't even down grade the trailer capacity from 3400 kg (7500 lbs).
Has anyone had any issues towing with surge brakes only in British Columbia on your larger boats?
Our current Tandem trailer is rated to 5000 lbs GVW so no issues.

Does anyone get a $30 term permit to tow overwidth? I believe the trailers are around 9' wide with the guide poles in, and max allowable is 8'-6" across Canada.

While we are on trailering, does anyone happen to know the tongue height and weight on the S238 trailer? 19" / 20"?
Our current trailer sits at 22"

I'm one of those OCD Anxious people, and like everything to be just right.

Thank you.

MV3230 trailer guidelines.pdf

cjohnson    33

Wow, I hope I never get pulled over when going to BC. I think before this year it was pretty rare to see any boats trailers with brakes that aren't surge.

There is a really good discussion on planetnautique discussing safe towing of the G series. What I found interesting is that most half ton trucks have a max towing capacity of 5,000 lbs without a weight distribution hitch. Most newer boats fall into this category these days. Funny thing is that you can't put a WDH on a boatmate trailer with the swing away tongue.

rrd525    40

Thank you. I will go browse their forum too.
I think for our boats, we sit at a much lower tongue weight 5% to 8% versus a traditional trailer at 10 to 15% Hopefully we aren't exceeding the allowable hitch weight without a WDH.

Cdifranco    463

Wow between taxes and towing, Canada sucks huh?? :thumbdown::police:

Lak3surf3r    714

LOL^^^

In AZ the max width is 8' and max height is 13.5'. EVERY wake boat trailer is over that and EVERY 5th wheel is taller than that lol. Ive never heard of anyone being harassed or even questioned about it nor have I been on towing either one. Does BC actually enforce it?

rrd525    40

I don't think they enforce it much. Unless the load looked sketchy. I just want to ensure we are safe on the roads.

We have a 1500 Silverado so overall trailer weight should be OK, until you start adding all the passengers and gear to the truck.
Another thing will have to look at is the weight restriction on the Hitch receiver. Can't recall whether it was a Class IV with 5000 lbs max weight / 600 lb tongue and 9500 lbs WDH / 1100 lbs tongue. Even 250 and 2500 trucks have these low ratings on the factory hitch. Just checked out a friends F250 and it has the same load ratings 6000 / 600 and 12000 / 1250 with WDH. We have airbags on ours, so they can be set to remove any rear squat.

rockballer    162

I tow in BC and have never had any issues. I tow with a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and been towing for the last 3 years. Few times to the Okanagan too from Vancouver with no issues. Have passed allot of cops... Some you get the thumbs up from even. Mine is a 22' centurion and with trailer fully loaded up It scaled at 5800 IIRC... Plus tongue weight... so add on another 6-800 lbs.

rockballer    162

Even worse when you see guys driving around with boards in the rack on both sides hanging out. Have even seen them drive right by cops too.... LOL

rrd525    40

Seems to be if it looks legit and not like the Clampetts coming down the road, they will leave you to your own devices.

rockballer    162

I once unhooked my trailer without blocking the rear in front of my house.... The trailer was like,,,, See ya.. Then bam... as the emergency chains catch... LOL You cant fix stupid..... you won't have any issues IMO... It's idiots that try and save a dollar by cheeping on trailers ect... My dealer hooked my up with my trailer hitch and everything. Can't find any issues with none of the ratings. If you bought your boat at EXTREME.... That's assurance right there. They wouldn't let anyone leave there lot un-safe.

• Like 2

cjohnson    33

Wow between taxes and towing, Canada sucks huh?? :thumbdown::police:

Don't forget about the exchange rate. :thumbdown:

• Like 1

cjohnson    33

I don't think they enforce it much. Unless the load looked sketchy. I just want to ensure we are safe on the roads.

We have a 1500 Silverado so overall trailer weight should be OK, until you start adding all the passengers and gear to the truck.

Another thing will have to look at is the weight restriction on the Hitch receiver. Can't recall whether it was a Class IV with 5000 lbs max weight / 600 lb tongue and 9500 lbs WDH / 1100 lbs tongue. Even 250 and 2500 trucks have these low ratings on the factory hitch. Just checked out a friends F250 and it has the same load ratings 6000 / 600 and 12000 / 1250 with WDH. We have airbags on ours, so they can be set to remove any rear squat.

I'd just be worried about a cop that decides to be a jerk one day - could result in a massive tow bill. In AB they occasionally do spot checks on people that are pulling trailers so I'd also be concerned about what they check. I'd put a WDH on if I could but it's not possible.

Good thing that we keep our boat at the lake 99% of the time.

rrd525    40

What I don't understand then, is how a trailer sold in BC might not meet the legal road braking requirements.

Most 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks seem to have an issue with tow / tongue weight too. But that is the issue of the vehicle, not manufacturer.
The trucks state load carrying 5000lbs / 600 lb tongue weight or vary higher with the use of WDH according to the specific tow vehicle. With our surge braked trailers WDH is not an effective option, as it would inhibit the surge action. I wouldn't be too worried about tongue weight with a boat trailer as they are usually less, but the GVW of the trailer will exceed the tow vehicle capacity without a WDH.
The only solution for the Brakes is to go Electric over hydraulic.
We are only 20 mins from 2 local lakes with a trip to the Interior once or twice a summer.

DarksideR    1,679

I HIGHLY doubt any local cop is looking for these things. Most likely wouldn't even know half of what you've stated. Heck, I've been at the Allouette boat launch same time as the water cops were struggling to put their boat on the trailer. The whole time I'm giggling away at their lack of skill and amazingly stylish high viz shorts, and I didn't even have my licence decals on my boat. They did nothing, said nothing. That's not saying you won't run into that one jerkoff though. Buy the boat. Take it to the lake. Enjoy yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rrd525    40

We bought the boat, so no lack of joy coming very soon.
Should be getting gel'd today.

A close family member is now one of the members who is assigned to patrolling Pitt and Alouette this summer.

• Like 1

DarksideR    1,679

We bought the boat, so no lack of joy coming very soon.

Should be getting gel'd today.

A close family member is now one of the members who is assigned to patrolling Pitt and Alouette this summer.

Awesome!

Congrats!

Make sure you point and laugh at his shorts. Although, I don't think there's any better job to have as a police officer than that one!!

rrd525    40

Thank you.
We'll have to look for your new one on the water or pulling into town this weekend.

Yeah rough life for them. Getting to be out on the water or Atv's scoping around. And of course only on all the good weather days.

• Like 1

Carter13    69

LOL^^^

In AZ the max width is 8' and max height is 13.5'. EVERY wake boat trailer is over that and EVERY 5th wheel is taller than that lol. Ive never heard of anyone being harassed or even questioned about it nor have I been on towing either one. Does BC actually enforce it?

Lak3,

I just bought a 2016 Heartland Bighorn 3575EL to put on our vacation property in Deschutes County Or. The max height which is measured at the top of the air conditioners comes in at

13' 3" as you will see here. http://www.heartlandrvs.com/brands/luxuryfw/bighorn/bh-3575-elite

We just had a 24' X 48' clear span pole building built with a 14' X 14' roll up door to put the fifth wheel into. Maybe you are going off past builds specs but the ones today are coming in at just a tick over 13'.

boatnut    230

I've helped police put their boats back on their trailers, I wouldnt worry about it, look a little deeper and you will probably find some loop hole... But there is no such thing as WDH for a surged brake equipped trailers, wouldnt allow the movement, but if your worried electric over hydraulic can be had, with these bigger boats you need a stout truck 2500HD or better, used to tow my boat with my Tahoe and it never really liked it, my dually doesn't even know it's back. There...

Dandy    43

But there is no such thing as WDH for a surged brake equipped trailers, wouldnt allow the movement,

This is not true. Equal-i-zer has WDH hitches compatible with surge breaks. Below is a link from an etrailer staff explaining this to a consumers question

https://www.etrailer.com/question-51522.html

Below is a link to some of the Equal-i-zer hitches that have surge brake capabilities.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Weight_Distribution-pm-Equal~i~zer.aspx

If you search around on boat forums, you can find photos of people that have successfully installed these on their trailers. I think this is good information for those that may wish to add some safety to their tow set up.