pwarning

Which Wakesurf Board?

pwarning    5

Anyone have suggestions for wakesurf boards? I cannot find any good reviews (done by someone not trying to sell the board) and testing is extremely tough where I am. Looking for a board that fits in the hybrid category I think so we can carve, spin, air, etc. I have a couple other boards that are decent for the beginner group but all are pretty old. Are the $1000 boards worth it? I usually like to research the heck out of something before I purchase but I can't find many great places that have these reviews. I like being able to ride without having to pump the thing just to keep it going (fast board) and my water depth is 9-12 feet so the wave can wash out sometimes. Enzo sv230 with enzo sac, extra sac on seat, and people in the boat to get the rub rail in the water. Basically looking for what all of you love to ride and what to stay away from.

Also, side note, anyone have a lead on the enzo surf vents that are not $400?

My advice is to call or email one or all of the popular shapers out there like, soulcraft,chaos, doomswell. Tell them what boat you have , how big you are ,your skill level and just talk with them in general. I bet in the long run you are going to get a better price than a stock board, and a board that is custom to your needs and some graphics that will expess your personal freedom,lol. Or they can build one that could cover a wide span of riders. Good luck.

wakemitch    15

If you already know how to wakesurf, don't waste your money on a hybrid. Hybrids aren't that good for airs or spins. Either get a surf style or skim style.

If you are working on 3 foot airs then maybe a $1000 board is worth it, but there are a lot of great options between $600-800 that people can not progress out of

I just ordered a brigade tamirando skim style and it got great reviews at the southern surf fest in GA.

Dreamer    96

The customs are really nice boards (we have a few) but if it is a board that will be shared with friends and family durability will become an issue. If I was you I would look at the Inland Surfer line of boards. They have a good variety and they are plenty durable. Even the high end models.

What is the weight range you are looking for?

stoked    1,039

I don't know how big you are, but I'm 6'4" 215 and the Big Boy Fly Boy is money. I never struggle to stay in the pocket

• Like 2

There is a mystique about getting a custom board. you can by a mass produced board all day long and ride what other people are riding. the positive is you may get a board that is magic under your feet , the rocker may turn out good ,the rails may be just right etc. with a production board popped out of a shaping machine its going to ride the same as one sold to some one else .

As well ,any board custom shaped can be glassed for more durability . But yes ,a lot of people ride inland surfer. They must be doing something right.

DarksideR    1,679

Inland or Phase5 for durability, Soulcraft for custom hand shaped awesomeness.

• Like 2

Nick213    583

I gotta try me some soulcraft some time lol!

I'm not really a good enough rider to know exactly what I would want in a custom board, but once I get at that level of riding I'll take your guys advice on a soulcraft :)

Until then I'll stick with inland surfer to get me there ;)

post-4481-0-42376700-1460774542_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nick213
  • Like 1

stoked    1,039

We have soulcraft and inland and love them both! The quality of the soulcraft is amazing, it has to be half the weight of the inland. The bonus of being able to have a board shaped to you with your own custom graphics is top notch. However I wouldn't go custom till you fully know what you're doing. That's why I'm still on my inland, next winter I'll probably have a custom made like we did for my wife last year

h20king    794

My advice is just have one made. Get in touch with jeff at soulcraft tell him your height and weight and what you are looking to accomplish and he will set you up with the right board. It is cheaper in the long run to buy a board you will progress into rather than buy a bunch of boards you will grow out of. JMTC

• Like 2

Port vents close with black gorilla tape under the vent. New tape each year. Can't tell at all. Haven't blown the tush off my boat or caught anyone on fire. Works like a dream and cost me about .03 cents per year.

I surf A Victoria factor pcx. I'm not a pro or even close. I've had all sorts of boards from cheap to 1k. The skim style is where I have fun. That's what it's all about right? The board is ultra strong and very very light. I have had zero issues in two years. And I ride a lot.

• Like 3

pwarning    5

Thanks everyone for the great input. I am 6'4" and about 210. Had a problem in the past with smaller boards and sinking the board on a hard push. Definitely not a super advanced rider so this input is great. Is the flyboy going to hold me back from being able to do anything? I will probably fall into the trap of just getting a new board every year (never the indian's fault...always the arrow right?) but I have come across the big boy many times and it always seems like taller people seem to like it. Just for kicks, I think I will start down the custom road and see what those options are as well. Will pull the trigger in the next few days and let you all know how it goes.

chadr    328

Thanks everyone for the great input. I am 6'4" and about 210. Had a problem in the past with smaller boards and sinking the board on a hard push. Definitely not a super advanced rider so this input is great. Is the flyboy going to hold me back from being able to do anything? I will probably fall into the trap of just getting a new board every year (never the indian's fault...always the arrow right?) but I have come across the big boy many times and it always seems like taller people seem to like it. Just for kicks, I think I will start down the custom road and see what those options are as well. Will pull the trigger in the next few days and let you all know how it goes.

Good plan. The flyboy will be a good board for you, but watch out! It will be loose to you for a while. Hold on and keep at it!

stoked    1,039

Ditto. It took me a session or two to get used to it, once I did it was money!! I was also coming from a shim so it was a huge all around change

pwarning    5

So my local shop has a phase 5 Oogle for $400. Anyone riding this board? The guy selling it rides it pretty regularly and loves it and he is about the same size as I am.

Dreamer    96

Oogle is a good board to start on and to use as a boat board. Ask him if you can demo it.

adambomb2000    35

X2 on what Dreamer said. We have an Oogle as a great quality boat board - great for people to start out on but still able to advance on it...my wife can do big bottom to turns on it (though she pretty much only rides her Shred Stixx Ort LE II now) and it was the board that I finally nailed a surface 360 on last year (still haven't done it on my BBFB yet).

Nick213    583

Well I FINALLY got my boat back, here's the racks on it! Can't wait to get the boat in the water Friday and load it up :)

These racks are sturdy, smooth and the best I've gotten yet!

post-4481-0-04855500-1464136591_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nick213
  • Like 2