TwistC3

LED Transom Lights for a 2005 Enzo

TwistC3    7

What transom lights are recommended?
thank you,

h20king    794

I recommend the lumatech seablaze X they are super bright and a three function light. Can operate in on fade or strobe. When looking at lights look at amp draw not lumens. You will find the seablaze X are in the top 4 but are at the top for bang for the buck.

h20king    794

To give you an idea how bright they are shadowcasters draw 3.5 amps abyss starfish draw 3.8 amps and the seablaze X draw 3.6 amps but at half the price

h20king    794
Not in the same class with only a draw of 2.7 amps for the lifefourm 9 they are nice but not as bright as the one's I listed. I paid $650 for my seablaze x with shipping. My buddy has the blue lifefourm 9 and in my opinion they have to much white lite in the spectrum. Another thing to consider is the housing material the lifefourm are cast aluminum where as the seablaxe X are brass. If you leave your boat in the water for extended periods of time look for stainless or brass. Liffourm has stainless lights but that upgrade for sure puts the price point above better options JMTC

h20king    794

Sorry.....

don't be the lifeforms are nice Just better options for close to the same money in my opinion.

TwistC3    7

I went with the seablaze X, two of them..... Thanks for the recommendations.

• Like 1

truekaotik    458

Both brands are nicely made. We sell way more Lumitec and Diablo Royale.

Wylie_Tunes    146

Actually, the LF6 and LF9 have a billet aluminum housing and not cast aluminum, correct? They also use a glass lens where others use a poly-carbonate, which can cloud over time. The LifeForm lights are heavy for their size, indicating the amount of heatsink they use to help dissipate heat. They also have thermal protection circuitry for those times when the light is out of the water for extended periods. The light will operate at a reduced capacity until it cools down.

For extended below water line use, I would not want brass, as it will be attacked by galvanic corrosion. LifeForm offers a 316 SS housing in the Titan series for salt, brackish or freshwater boats that stay in a wet slip.

The Sea Blaze X has a bronze housing, which is far more noble to brass and more suitable for the marine environment.

acman    59

here are 2 sea blaze x i installed. The still photo was taken at lake gaston in nc. The camera was not able to capture the total distance of the light in both pics. Second is on plane. i am very pleased with how they perform; however, clarity of the water has a profound effect on the still distance. In crystal clear water i would say they would illuminate 75' while still. Make sure you install them as low as you can.

post-2785-0-17302600-1455154375_thumb.jpg

post-2785-0-93819300-1455154382_thumb.jpg

Edited by acman
  • Like 1

Shaka    146

here are 2 sea blaze x i installed. The still photo was taken at lake gaston in nc. The camera was not able to capture the total distance of the light in both pics. Second is on plane. i am very pleased with how they perform; however, clarity of the water has a profound effect on the still distance. In crystal clear water i would say they would illuminate 75' while still. Make sure you install them as low as you can.

Why as low as you can? I'm just curious because they are out of the water when running. Wouldn't being up a little bit throw the light farther back?

Wylie_Tunes    146

Why as low as you can? I'm just curious because they are out of the water when running. Wouldn't being up a little bit throw the light farther back?

I like them as low as feasible so the light filters through the water, rather than reflect across the surface. As a night surfer, I would rather the light be under the water, illuminating my wave, rather than me staring into the light thats out of the water. Just personal preference on what you want to achieve with the lights.

• Like 1

TwistC3    7

Can you post a picture showing where they are located? I am having a switch blade install and a FAE so my space is limited....

thanks,

h20king    794

I like them as low as feasible so the light filters through the water, rather than reflect across the surface. As a night surfer, I would rather the light be under the water, illuminating my wave, rather than me staring into the light thats out of the water. Just personal preference on what you want to achieve with the lights.

Exactly look in the diy section for pics of my old boat with stitch blade

truekaotik    458

Enzo top, Avy bottom... Enzo has a switchblade.

post-3318-0-63907100-1456440410_thumb.jpeg

Edited by truekaotik
  • Like 1

stoked    1,039

So out of curiosity, anyone have thoughts on something like this underneath on the hull? Maybe something more "fluid dynamic" http://www.terapeak.com/worth/10w-rgb-underwater-led-spotlight-pool-12v-outdoor-waterproof-light-lamp-ip68/221229851746/

truekaotik    458

My thought is I would never do anything like that to a boat..... You want it flush on the transom. Plus those are cheap and won't last.

stoked    1,039

Right. I don't mean those specifically, they were just the first that popped up on a google search. What I was thinking was something like a flush mount motorcycle turn signal, but an LED spot. So it would be semi flush, but more "fluid dynamic" so that the water easily passed over it.

truekaotik    458

The problem to any of those theories is that actual transom specific lights are made to project VERY far, dissipate heat properly and so on. A turn signal led wouldn't cut it under water. You can make your own and experiment. But from experience it's better to buy with a warranty to start... The Knock offs (cheap copies, the Avy had them and went bad in two summers) are bad enough. Suck it up and purchase good ones. The Lumitec are nice but the Life Form are better and worth it so far, the Avy now has the 9's. I have more pics on my computer. I always do these forums on my phone...

Edited by truekaotik