DjOM21

New To Me SV230 - Questions and Observations

DjOM21    59

So after a bit of a debate I pulled the trigger on this boat. Nice rig - fully loaded, low hours and equipped with a 6.2 Black Scorpion!!. I would say a good starter boat.

So I have a couple questions and observations, I have been digging through the forms for the answers, but thought I would post a new thread to see if I can get all the info consolidated in one place.

1. Installed Enzo sac on port side. Slow to fill (as expected) but drain time was ok with two aerator pumps attached. So I am thinking about just adding a tsunami to the mix to help with the fill times and limit the amount of cost required to get the fill times down to 10 min or so. Any thoughts on how to maximize performance with the stock 5 tank two ballast puppy manifold system, without creating a huge project?

2. Is it acceptable to just run check vales on the vent / drain line and discharge them out the surf side. I realize that moving them to the opposite side is the main suggestion, but do both methods not prevent back flow.

3. I am assuming that it is normal to have water left over in the sacs after draining with aerators since they cannot vacuum like an impeller. So I guess we just live with it or upgrade?

4. I noticed my carpet was wet in my lockers ( Port and bow sac) after my surf session today. I am thinking a loose connection on my vent fitting as the hose is a bit short. I am going to throw some pipe tape on the threads, to ensure a tight seal. But could their be something else at play here? I just don't want mold forming I guess, especially when I have the boat out in the fall months and their is not a lot of warm weather left to dry her out.

5. I don't have a battery switch on my boat. Just a breaker at the engine and one near the batteries. If I want to just float and listen to music, will killing the engine bay switch preserve one battery?

6.Propeller - I am at 3500 feet and probably will run 2000 pounds of ballast. Boat came with a 537 - Maybe I should phone acme

Thanks Guys.

post-7545-0-88707600-1444462702_thumb.jpg

Edited by DjOM21

geb202002    24

although i cant answer any of your questions, nice ride!

Shaka    146

So after a bit of a debate I pulled the trigger on this boat. Nice rig - fully loaded, low hours and equipped with a 6.2 Black Scorpion!!. I would say a good starter boat.

So I have a couple questions and observations, I have been digging through the forms for the answers, but thought I would post a new thread to see if I can get all the info consolidated in one place.

6.Propeller - I am at 3500 feet and probably will run 2000 pounds of ballast. Boat came with a 537 - Maybe I should phone acme

Thanks Guys.

Nope just a great boat. I love mine and am hanging on to it. Dropping 100K on a replacement may stroke my ego but it will not give me much in the way of a performance increase. If you're a surfer the SV230 can put out a great wave on both sides with the right mods.

The elevation of my boating is between 3000-6000 ft. I use an ACME 911. My boat isn't a speedster but it will get out of the hole at elevation.

Dreamer    96

The 1579 will be your best bet for a propeller.

daz28iroc    73

wet carpets. i found using vaseline on the quick connects. at the o-ring helped reduce this.

also make sure the fitting is not getting bent from the bag pushing it onto the floor.

DjOM21    59

wet carpets. i found using vaseline on the quick connects. at the o-ring helped reduce this.

also make sure the fitting is not getting bent from the bag pushing it onto the floor.

Sounds good, I will try this out.

Edited by DjOM21

ENZODAYZ    3

Wet carpet. My boat leaks water in at the rub rail when fully loaded. I thought it was the vent still leaking after I sealed it. So I pulled the sack off to see where the water was coming from and I could see it running down from the rub rail. The carpet below the vent was dry, so that is holding nice. Must not have a good seal when the factory tied the top and bottom sections together. Any suggestions on how to fix it? I was thinking to try and seal it from the inside?

chadr    328

1. Installed Enzo sac on port side. Slow to fill (as expected) but drain time was ok with two aerator pumps attached. So I am thinking about just adding a tsunami to the mix to help with the fill times and limit the amount of cost required to get the fill times down to 10 min or so. Any thoughts on how to maximize performance with the stock 5 tank two ballast puppy manifold system, without creating a huge project?

2. Is it acceptable to just run check vales on the vent / drain line and discharge them out the surf side. I realize that moving them to the opposite side is the main suggestion, but do both methods not prevent back flow.

3. I am assuming that it is normal to have water left over in the sacs after draining with aerators since they cannot vacuum like an impeller. So I guess we just live with it or upgrade?

4. I noticed my carpet was wet in my lockers ( Port and bow sac) after my surf session today. I am thinking a loose connection on my vent fitting as the hose is a bit short. I am going to throw some pipe tape on the threads, to ensure a tight seal. But could their be something else at play here? I just don't want mold forming I guess, especially when I have the boat out in the fall months and their is not a lot of warm weather left to dry her out.

5. I don't have a battery switch on my boat. Just a breaker at the engine and one near the batteries. If I want to just float and listen to music, will killing the engine bay switch preserve one battery?

Thanks Guys.

1. What are you looking to do for ballast? Do you have a front bow sac? How many Pumps pumping in? I had 2 in my 240 and what I did was use 1" lines directly to the Enzo SAC per side for filling and then used the aerators to empty. The sprinkler valves were the culprit on the slow down. Eliminate them if at all possible. I don't use my bow sac still today!

2. I ran mine to the opposite site because it would not fill all of the way up. Venting to the other side fills the sac completely.

3. You will need to make your fill pumps reversible to get the sacs to drain all of the way. You will also need to have check valved on the vent lines to create the suction.

4. Check your aerators for leaks also. The o-rings may be leaking also.

5. You will need to install a battery switch and an extra battery if you are going to just float around or you can take along a battery jump starter with you. Peace of mind.

6. 1579 will be the Prop of choice!

Nice Boat BTW!!! What year is it?

DjOM21    59

1. What are you looking to do for ballast? Do you have a front bow sac? How many Pumps pumping in? I had 2 in my 240 and what I did was use 1" lines directly to the Enzo SAC per side for filling and then used the aerators to empty. The sprinkler valves were the culprit on the slow down. Eliminate them if at all possible. I don't use my bow sac still today!

2. I ran mine to the opposite site because it would not fill all of the way up. Venting to the other side fills the sac completely.

3. You will need to make your fill pumps reversible to get the sacs to drain all of the way. You will also need to have check valved on the vent lines to create the suction.

4. Check your aerators for leaks also. The o-rings may be leaking also.

5. You will need to install a battery switch and an extra battery if you are going to just float around or you can take along a battery jump starter with you. Peace of mind.

6. 1579 will be the Prop of choice!

Nice Boat BTW!!! What year is it?

Thanks Chadr great info. The boat is a 2008.

I have two jabsco pumps. I have installed one Enzo sac so far. I need to get one pump replaced so the starboard side will get done next season. I was thinking of just leaving the aerators for draining and then hook 1" lines directly from the pumps to the Enzo sac as you mentioned for each side. If I pull the manifold. The pump in position will still work at the switches I assume?

I do have a bow sac - so I can maybe just leave the one sprinkler valve set up to actuate service to that bag, but seems most folks don't even use the bow sac. So I may just pull it and utilize the front for more storage.

Thanks again.

Tmr1    3

I only use the bow for storage. Since bags fill up the lockers completely and it's a pain (or i'm just lazy...) to move gear back and forth from Port to Starbord i clear as much space as i can in the bow storage.

Rhale    80

Ok, so if I'm understanding this correctly, if I use aerators to empty, regardless of the brand, I'll still get passive water loss without venting it to the opposite side?

Ok, so if I'm understanding this correctly, if I use aerators to empty, regardless of the brand, I'll still get passive water loss without venting it to the opposite side?

I have an Enzo sac and empty with the two yellow factory pumps. I have no vent lines. I just bleed the sac. With that said yes I do lose a little water throughout the day, and I mean very little I may touch up the bag once for just maybe 30 seconds to top it off? Idk vent lines seem to be a pain to me and I don't need them. I always open the locker when filling to check it out. So I vent it real quick and keep on rolling. Maybe mine doesn't leak down easily because I have no vent lines?

stoked    1,039

The bulk of your water loss won't be through the aerators, but through the vent lines via a siphon affect. Cross venting helps and significantly decreases the loss, but it can still happen. The theory is that the cross vent will be higher than the bag when the boat is listed, so it won't siphon out.

You can minimize loss like Tommywalton and not have vent lines, but you need to be Johnny on the spot at watching your bags!! You don't want to pop an engine divider!!

The best way I feel is the BongoFury method. Go out and buy yourself a large bottle of patron, drink it all up, don't spill a single drop. When you're finished, take that cork that was in the bottle and stick it in the thru-hull vent hole after you've filled your ballast, no leakage!! Remove it before you fill up next time, replug when done, and boom, Bob's your uncle!

• Like 2

The bulk of your water loss won't be through the aerators, but through the vent lines via a siphon affect. Cross venting helps and significantly decreases the loss, but it can still happen. The theory is that the cross vent will be higher than the bag when the boat is listed, so it won't siphon out.

You can minimize loss like Tommywalton and not have vent lines, but you need to be Johnny on the spot at watching your bags!! You don't want to pop an engine divider!!

The best way I feel is the BongoFury method. Go out and buy yourself a large bottle of patron, drink it all up, don't spill a single drop. When you're finished, take that cork that was in the bottle and stick it in the thru-hull vent hole after you've filled your ballast, no leakage!! Remove it before you fill up next time, replug when done, and boom, Bob's your uncle!

Hell yeah!

Rhale    80

​Haha! After the Patron I don't think I'd care about what was happening! Simple but effective!!

Nick213    583

Hell yea Stoked!!!!

But heck with surfing after the bottle is gone, crank up the tunes, pass me a beer if I'm not passed out and let the good times roll!

Bongo Fury    640

The key here is to be sure it is the large Patron bottle......

Edited by Bongo Fury
  • Like 2

Packrat    13

Also if you want to get every drop of water out of the sack just take a wet dry shop vac to the vent hole to get the sac's like raisins.