zonk

2015 s226 prop wash damage

zonk    13

hey guys my 2015 s226 has damage to the hull right above the prop. hasn't hit anything or any other thing to damage it. ill post pics soon. any other people have this problem ? the damage area is right into the fiber glass through both layers of gel coat and is about 1/4" deep.

DarksideR    1,679

I've never seen it before, but by the bubbled gelcoat I'd say it's gelcoat burn. Prop is too close to the hull. Measure the distance.

tprice    118

I'll be checking mine next month when it gets pulled from the marina

zonk    13

That would be cool if you could check and see how far your prop is away from the hull.

RhuntIII    555

I'll measure the distance on my boat later this morning. It's a 2002 Avy No burn.

h20king    794

Is the prop factory?? If so it should be covered under warranty. I have a little but not as bad as yours. It is caused by prop cavitation.

h20king    794

If you have the high altitude prop it is a 14 x 14.25 . The prop is close to the hull but it is money as far as power to the water. Couple things you can do to reduce the prop burn. 1st try to make sure the rudder is straight before acceleration when it is not strait you can hear the cavitation and sometimes will get feedback from the rudder through the cable and it can be felt at the wheel. 2nd try to ease into the throttle instead oh just giving it full throttle. These two things will reduce the burn. Or your other option would be to go with a smaller diameter prop so you have more clearance between the prop and hull. If you have a good dealer you should have no problem getting the damage fixed under warranty.

DarksideR    1,679

If you have the high altitude prop it is a 14 x 14.25 . The prop is close to the hull but it is money as far as power to the water. Couple things you can do to reduce the prop burn. 1st try to make sure the rudder is straight before acceleration when it is not strait you can hear the cavitation and sometimes will get feedback from the rudder through the cable and it can be felt at the wheel. 2nd try to ease into the throttle instead oh just giving it full throttle. These two things will reduce the burn. Or your other option would be to go with a smaller diameter prop so you have more clearance between the prop and hull. If you have a good dealer you should have no problem getting the damage fixed under warranty.

What about a thin piece of stainless glued on there? Thought people were doing that?

WakeDoc    471

Referred to as prop burn, the more silt in the water the quicker it burns.

zonk    13

So this is the first boat I have owned that has done this. Is this a normal thing to happen. Water where boat is used mostly is very clean. Boat only has 140 hrs on it. My friend had a fx 22 in the same lake with 400hrs on it with no issue. And I try to take off with Rudder straight and very fue times have I hat the throttle at 100% when taking off. My dealer is talking to supreme today and letting me know. Thanks for everyone's input.

RhuntIII    555

My bad, I forgot to measure.

Dreamer    96

3/8-1/2" space to hull is pretty tight. The minimum standard a few years ago was 1/2-5/8".

zonk    13

Hmmm. Still waiting to see what supreme has to say.

zonk    13

Did you change prop or anything to prevent it happening again ?

DarksideR    1,679

Who is your dealer zonk? I'm sure it'll be covered, but stopping it from happening again is important. Supreme should be including the hull bubble in their lineup

zonk    13

I bought the boat from extreme boat sports. But dealing with Wisard Marie in Kelowna .