chenige

2000 Elite V surf ballast setup

chenige    84

For those who have the old Elite V and are getting a decent port side surf wake. How do you have your boat setup? I have read all kinds of threads here and am a little confused on what works. Everybody is always improving so some threads are out of date. This weekend is our last for the boat this year so I really would like to quickly get a decent surf wave before we put it away.

What I have is a 750 bag in each locker, a 400 bag under the port seat (cannot fill it all the way), a 650 bow bag under the bow seats. These are filled by one Johnson through a manifold. Also have a 400 bag with an elevate pump I can move around.

I think I have the original 4 blade prop because I have a top speed of over 40 so I cannot fill all the bags because it really has a hard time. I have a 1231 that will go on this winter.

I am making up a surf gate that should go on sometime during the weekend. Will probably be adding perfect pass this winter also.

So how do you fill your bags for a boat without the surf gate and fill your bags with a surf gate?

post-5486-0-08713000-1441024404_thumb.jpg

Edited by chenige

Stretch    409

Old elite v = everything you got on the port side. And since your props gonna be the barrier of how much weight you can run run as much as you can. Locker under seat, extra 400 on seats and now bag. As much as you can get and still get up to speed

Gots to do THE LEAN

8cb550cd056460fd89256bbfefefe1a3.jpg

Edited by Stretch

chenige    84

Bow?

gravity12    83

Can't wait to see the surf gate review. I just made one last week but due to weather was not able to try it out yet. Got any pics of the build? Good luck keep us posted

Edited by gravity12
  • Like 1

chenige    84

All I got is a 2x12 board right now:)

Anybody know how thick the teak wood platform is?

Edited by chenige

Stretch    409

Bow weight is needed. I would get what you can in there. Especially with the prop situation, bow weight will help you plane out a lot.

Edited by Stretch

If you are able I would put the second 750 bag on top of the port locker 750 and fill to lockers capacity then the extra 400 on port seat and start filling bow last once boat is listing and try to only fill the port side.

chenige    84

OK, so the idea is to put as much in as possible on the port side. I do know that Sean's scenario is too much for my engine/prop.

What attitude should the boat have at surfing speed? Last time I went out it seemed like my bow was way up in the air and the boat just struggled to get to speed.

Edited by chenige

chenige    84

Here is what my surf gate looks like so far. I had some trex type deck flooring I used for the uprights and a 1/2" piece of treated plywood for the gate.post-5486-0-86939500-1441053232_thumb.jpg

post-5486-0-02603600-1441053211_thumb.jpg

Bow will ride much higher than at plane.if you have extra crew aboard have them sit in the bow until you reach surf speed. That helped us before we got a 911 prop

chenige    84

Is 1231 the wrong prop? Not used yet so I could trade for 911. Michigan elevation

Stretch    409

I think that is the wrong prop for your boat. I think that prop was made for the newer elite v. It was not possibility when I called acme, they suggested 911. For sure just give them a quick call they have awesome customer service

Edited by Stretch

chenige    84

I talked to Acme before I bouht it and that was what they recommended. I did just call them again and he said not a lot of difference. 1/2" more pitch and 150 more RPM. 1231 will give slightly better gas mileage.

Stretch    409

Sweet, sorry I got you worked up, there is a different prop that is 4 numbers for he newer boats hat I almost bought until someone threw out a quick warning and didn't want you to mess something up. Glad you got it all cleared up

Audionly101    39

As the others have said. I would still recommend the 911 prop. It is the most aggressive prop and you will need it even at little to no elevation. As far as the bags go my 2 cents:

750 in port locker

750 on port seat

400 under port seat

and at most 400 of the 650 in the bow.

Like I have recommended to the others, here was my winning setup. It pushed the limits of freeboard of the elite v and gave it the best wave I have seen.

post-619-0-73225600-1432080882_thumb.jpg
post-619-0-87727700-1432092544_thumb.jpg
post-619-0-30997300-1432092519_thumb.jpg
post-619-0-35763300-1435204076_thumb.jpg
post-619-0-35457600-1432091639_thumb.jpg
post-619-0-78116700-1432081124_thumb.jpg

Edited by Audionly101

chenige    84

You reminded me that I bought a ski fin off eBay to put on the boat. I also put a round piece of foam on the port vent to stop possible water

post-5486-0-59922100-1441160344_thumb.jpg

Edited by chenige

Definitely the 911. It took me a couple years to convince myself to spend the money on the new prop. After I got it I couldn't believe how much of a performance upgrade it was and I also get much better gas mileage with it.

chenige    84

Sean, that much better than a 1231?