JoeMerchant

Wife dropped my tower hand knob in the lake! What now?

JoeMerchant    5

We are both on the Internet tonight searching for a duplicate knob. One of the two that hold the folding factory tower upright on my 2004 Avalanche. The screw part is 1/2-13 x 4 inches long. I suppose I could make one with a hand knob and a length of threaded rod. I'd rather have one or two overnighted. Want to surf in two days!!!

Kalidgh    37

Buy a bolt, thread it in and go surfing. Find and buy the factory replacement any time.

Wont look the greatest but you won't be on a trailer either.

I smacked my prop on August long weekend and dropped $700 in under 12 hours to not miss a day on the water

• Like 1

DarksideR    1,679

Yup, what he said.

I bent one of mine on my old boat and went to the local marina and they had a "grab bag" of different ones. Found one similar enough that nobody ever noticed.

SurferAdam    168

I'd suggest a quick trip to the dealer and pick up a new wife

• Like 4

ssgviper    7

Were you putting your tower up after launching the boat? Why? Just curious how and why this happened...Mine are always screwed in tight before launching and the only time I remove them is when putting the boat in the garage. Thinking the temporary bolt option is the best then buy a new tower knob when done.

Edited by ssgviper

JoeMerchant    5

Boat is on a lift on the lake and I have to drop the tower to get it under the roof of the boathouse.

Thanks truekaotik but I need a much larger tower knob.

UGH! Looks like a wrench and bolt for a while. Grrrr

WakeDoc    471

RAISE the ROOF...woot...woot!!!

truekaotik    458

Boat is on a lift on the lake and I have to drop the tower to get it under the roof of the boathouse.

Thanks truekaotik but I need a much larger tower knob.

UGH! Looks like a wrench and bolt for a while. Grrrr

So you don't have the Skylon swoop...

Look for the Proflight swoop tower parts, those are bigger bolts than the Skylon ones...

Agree with Doc also, we raised our canopy on our lift so we didn't have to lower the tower, it's a PITA..post-3318-0-11158300-1440767499_thumb.jpg

Edited by truekaotik

Kevin Baugh    78

I take my tower down every time so I can get the boat up under the canopy so it will be more protected from

the sun and weather

truekaotik    458

My boat has never been wet from rain or weather, ok besides a horrible sideways rain it gets some moisture.. You can never really get it out of the sun without adding side panels or a very low hang over on your lift canopy. I will say my hang over around the canopy is over 2.5 feet down. Notice the full size life jacket hanging inside.. The pic was also taken at 9 am this morning so that's about all the sun it sees for the day plus it still goes up another foot And a half to two feet if I want. I have a 2005 and have no weather or sun damage from it sitting there all summer. :) Now if your a non cover kind of person I could see it.. I have friends that do what Kev does and never cover the boat, I have to much expensive crap on mine :( so it's covered and has a alarm.. To each his own, I think both ways are fine and almost do the same.. post-3318-0-88422600-1440770748_thumb.jpg

Edited by truekaotik

Cdifranco    463

How do you have an alarm? I caught a guy on my dock one time and the moment he touched my cover I was ready to kick him into the water. He couldn't grasp the concept that after spending what I spent I would have cut his hands off if he touched my stuff.

truekaotik    458

Very easy :) get ahold of your local Marine audio and 12volt certified installer, they will be able to go over many options and ways for it to trigger.

Edited by truekaotik

truekaotik    458

Good ones will run $300+ For basic and go up from there with custom triggers... Oh mine remote starts too.. Lol

Edited by truekaotik
  • Like 1

Cdifranco    463

Remote start would be sweet for those mornings I'm looking to be on the water before sunrise! Start it up, make coffee, ok ready to surf!

enzo101mo    98

I have my boat in the Garage at my Lake House and hate it very time I have to pull it out and raise the tower, Sure wish I had a lake that I could keep my boat on the water. I bought a lot that bums up to my rear corner of my Lake House and going to built a speck house on the lot and going to install 12 ft. tall doors by 18 ft. wide. So if someone has a tower will love it

post-474-0-97735300-1440779183_thumb.jpg

TL68    40

Give Great Lakes Skipper a try. They may have the tower bolt you need.

Bongo Fury    640

RAISE the ROOF...woot...woot!!!

X2.....we built our roof so that the tower would fit up between the trusses....the forward and down sloping bimini on the Gladiator tower allows us to keep the bimini up on the weekends....we always fold it and put it away when we leave....like True our boat is always covered including speakers (birds get in them) and swim step.....I do worry a bit about the late afternoon sun on the stbd side.....thinking about getting a cover that is longer and covers the side of the boat.

post-901-0-47332400-1440947605_thumb.jpg

post-901-0-28607300-1440947618_thumb.jpg

post-901-0-67744700-1440947655_thumb.jpg