scottnorm

2016 G23 Ride vs 233

scottnorm    9

I have a SV233 and have been looking at other surfboats. I took my boat out on my lake (which is a very rough lake) last weekend, and when i returned to the marina, they were demoing the 2016 G23. Of course, i immediately grabbed the dude and took it for a spin. This is no exaggeration... the ride was absolutely horrific in comparison to my sv233. I mean awful. Aside from being very rough, the boat seemed to porpoise over chop rather than cut through it as my boat. However, once we got to a cove and dialed up the wave it did have an unbelievable surf wave. I fooled around with it for awhile and was thinking that the ride may be worth the incredible wave... until the ride back. Has anyone else had this experience?

cjohnson    33

I have a SV233 and have been looking at other surfboats. I took my boat out on my lake (which is a very rough lake) last weekend, and when i returned to the marina, they were demoing the 2016 G23. Of course, i immediately grabbed the dude and took it for a spin. This is no exaggeration... the ride was absolutely horrific in comparison to my sv233. I mean awful. Aside from being very rough, the boat seemed to porpoise over chop rather than cut through it as my boat. However, once we got to a cove and dialed up the wave it did have an unbelievable surf wave. I fooled around with it for awhile and was thinking that the ride may be worth the incredible wave... until the ride back. Has anyone else had this experience?

I agree. I think the difference is the flat hull on the G. I went from an Avy that has the deep V (similar to yours) to the G23 and noticed a huge difference in ride. I wouldn't say it was terrible in chop (the Malibu's are worse IMO) but the ride doesn't compare to my old Avy or the Supreme 226. The turning radius is also unbelievably wide and much more difficult to drive at slow speeds. (We're 3 months into having it and my wife still occasionally struggles with picking up riders.)

I think there are trade-offs when buying a boat. I love wakeboarding (which was the #1 criteria for our new boat) and I haven't ridden anything comes even close to the G23 - I didn't even like the G21. It's not sensitive with weight side to side, never need to add ballast beyond stock (and it's all hidden), clean on both sides and so easy to set up.

The surf wake is better than anything I've ever ridden and that includes the S226 (......waiting for the hate comments now. haha) After looking on a few forums I did have to tweak speed and plate settings which made a massive difference vs the factory wakesurf profile. The NSS is also awesome - I hated waiting for bags to fill when switching sides.

We are on a relatively small lake and have no interest in being on the water when we have whitecaps so the boat is perfect for us. I think there are better options if you're frequently in rough water though.

Edited by cjohnson
  • Like 1

scottnorm    9

Have you driven the FS33? If so, how does it compare to the G23? The wave on the G23 was out of this world, but that drive out to the surf spot was a beating. I'm an old man, so I would be willing to compromise surf wave for a better ride, however, a primary motivator for new boat is to get something easier for my wife to handle while the boat is weighted. My leaning sv233 is a challenge for her. The G23 was incredible while weighted. Thinking maybe FS33 is a good balance? Need to still drive an X23 too.. .

lovetosurf    48

Agreed, would love to see/hear a comparison between the new G23 and FS33, anyone lucky enough to have tried both recently?

cjohnson    33

Have you driven the FS33? If so, how does it compare to the G23? The wave on the G23 was out of this world, but that drive out to the surf spot was a beating. I'm an old man, so I would be willing to compromise surf wave for a better ride, however, a primary motivator for new boat is to get something easier for my wife to handle while the boat is weighted. My leaning sv233 is a challenge for her. The G23 was incredible while weighted. Thinking maybe FS33 is a good balance? Need to still drive an X23 too.. .

Sorry, I've never ridden a FS33 so I really can't compare. Since the wakeboarding is wake most important thing for me I didn't even test ride the FS33. There was also only a $3K price difference between the two and IMO the G23 is a much nicer boat. Our boat was brought into Canada last September when the exchange rate was closer to par so if purchased today the G23 would be a lot more money.

I think a better ride generally goes along with a better surf wake with the G being the exception. While a deep V makes a boat very sensitive with weight side to side and bad for wakeboarders it also makes it lean more one way or the other for surfing which helps.

Trust me, if your wife doesn't like the handling of your boat right now she will like the G23 even less. It feels like everything you do at low speeds takes 5 seconds to respond so you really need to predict how it will react.

We were talking to the MC dealer about the X23 as well but I didn't ride it. We already had a trip to Florida planned in March and CC took us for a factory tour and test ride on one of their lakes and I instantly fell in love with the boat. The dealer here offered to fly us down to Phoenix to ride the X23 but I didn't want to waste his time since I basically made up my mind. I think the X23 gorgeous and also has the deep V hull so would probably be pretty good in rough water. I haven't seen any bad reviews on the surf wake either - the Gen 2 is supposed to work pretty well.

Let us know what you test and how it goes.

Thanks for the comments. We too are looking for a bigger boat (SV 211) now. The G23 boats look great. Also like the Supra 23' boats. Just wished my local 80 mile away Centurion dealer would pooh or get off the pot. Only stocks 2 or 3 boats and they are 2014 models. Other boat brands have dealerships within 30 miles. Don't get me wrong, love my Centurion. Would love to be able to test an FS33 myself.

gravity12    83

My buddy bought a nautique 210 and anytime I ask if he wants to go to the big lakes he's says that they are too rough. I tell him my boat handles it great and he can't figure out why. I love my deep v.

• Like 2

stoked    1,039

Agreed, would love to see/hear a comparison between the new G23 and FS33, anyone lucky enough to have tried both recently?

I might make this happen on the 31st. I have to take my FS33 to a friendly non-Centurion Dealer (previously was) so they can do an estimate for me on some gel coat work (long sickening story), I talked the sales guy into taking me out for a demo on their last G23 while the shop is doing the estimate. As long as they still have it I'll be able to give you my comparison. Granted I think it is a 2015 (which mine is too).

• Like 2

cjohnson    33

I might make this happen on the 31st. I have to take my FS33 to a friendly non-Centurion Dealer (previously was) so they can do an estimate for me on some gel coat work (long sickening story), I talked the sales guy into taking me out for a demo on their last G23 while the shop is doing the estimate. As long as they still have it I'll be able to give you my comparison. Granted I think it is a 2015 (which mine is too).

Awesome, let us know how it goes. As mentioned above factory settings for surf aren't the best. The dealer may have some experience in dialing it in but if not try running it at 11.6 mph, NSS at 2, NCRS at 4, ballasts full with ppl loaded on surf side.

SurferAdam    168

A good friend on mine here in osoyoos has a 2014 G23 and I've been out on it and driven it quite a bit. I also own a 2015 FS33. I will say this, the G23 is a better built boat with higher quality materials and really well laid out. The wakeboarding wake is unreal, probably the best I've ever seen. The surf wave is big and clean on both sides but lacks the power and adjustability of a centurion wave. My FS33 can go from a nice flat but powerful skim wave to a steep ocean style surf wave with the push of a button, something the G23 does not do. Not that it really matters but the G23 is very thirsty and burns almost twice as much fuel as my FS33, more annoying than anything cause its getting pulled out and hauled to the gas station at least once a day, I can get two days out of a tank on my boat. The FS33 also handles the choppy water way better than the G23. I stand behind my choice of boat and will buy either an FS33 or FS44 again next year

• Like 2

scottnorm    9

A good friend on mine here in osoyoos has a 2014 G23 and I've been out on it and driven it quite a bit. I also own a 2015 FS33. I will say this, the G23 is a better built boat with higher quality materials and really well laid out. The wakeboarding wake is unreal, probably the best I've ever seen. The surf wave is big and clean on both sides but lacks the power and adjustability of a centurion wave. My FS33 can go from a nice flat but powerful skim wave to a steep ocean style surf wave with the push of a button, something the G23 does not do. Not that it really matters but the G23 is very thirsty and burns almost twice as much fuel as my FS33, more annoying than anything cause its getting pulled out and hauled to the gas station at least once a day, I can get two days out of a tank on my boat. The FS33 also handles the choppy water way better than the G23. I stand behind my choice of boat and will buy either an FS33 or FS44 again next year

That's true. I neglected to mention fact that build quality, layout and storage was much better on g23. tons of deep storage. If centurion wants to have an equivalent price, they need to up their game on quality

• Like 3

stoked    1,039

Given this account was just created 2 hours ago and all the posts are "G23!", I'm guessing someone is trolling....

Cdifranco    463

Kids these days...

Nah I actually know my stuff, I do agree that Any of the Centurion or Supreme boats will throw a bad tush surf wave but if we are talking wakeboard and ski wakes Nautique is the best

Bongo Fury    640

I thought I read somewhere that a G23 can cure cancer......

• Like 2

DarksideR    1,679

post-848-0-31155600-1439788419_thumb.jpg

Just look at that ski wake! I've never seen such a flat wake! Amazing.

• Like 4

stoked    1,039

Nah I actually know my stuff, I do agree that Any of the Centurion or Supreme boats will throw a bad tush surf wave but if we are talking wakeboard and ski wakes Nautique is the best

Big Po?

• Like 2