TL68    40

I know that everyone's busy with driving family and friends around,or maybe just chillin' in a cove with some tunes and pops. Be "that Guy"(or Girl) that notices the other boat that seems to have not moved in a while. Don't worry if you think you're bothering someone, it's easy to ask if they need help. Maybe they're having problems with their boat and feel funny asking for help. Be "That Guy" that turns his expensive toy into a trash hauler,or log transportation rig. I know you don't want to mess up everything you've worked hard on paying for and maintaining, it might be the thing you do that keeps someone from a ruined weekend, or large insurance claim. Be "That Guy" that creeps through a shallow channel and sees a log with a bunch of prop whiskey licks on it, that gets out and moves it knowing it could be your prop that gets saved next time. Not judging here, I'm not perfect by any means. A bent prop from this weekend starred this thread. After creeping into a channel I caught a log on my prop. Slowly got to a nearby sandbar and anchored for the day. Luckily, my father in-law was their with his pontoon. We went back to the spot where the incident occurred. I picked up the submerged 10 foot log that had maybe a dozen prop licks on it and tossed in the woods. My reward, a standing ovation from 3 boats waiting to go through the channel. Oh and a $500 order o Wakemakers for a new prop and prop puller.

Feel free to start a "That Guy" thread of your own. Could be a good or bad thing to be "That Guy"

• Like 6

rockballer    162

Have been told... Not sure if it's true. If towing someone they need to throw you the rope. If you throw them the rope you are liable for that boat.

Bongo Fury    640

I know that everyone's busy with driving family and friends around,or maybe just chillin' in a cove with some tunes and pops. Be "that Guy"(or Girl) that notices the other boat that seems to have not moved in a while. Don't worry if you think you're bothering someone, it's easy to ask if they need help. Maybe they're having problems with their boat and feel funny asking for help. Be "That Guy" that turns his expensive toy into a trash hauler,or log transportation rig. I know you don't want to mess up everything you've worked hard on paying for and maintaining, it might be the thing you do that keeps someone from a ruined weekend, or large insurance claim. Be "That Guy" that creeps through a shallow channel and sees a log with a bunch of prop whiskey licks on it, that gets out and moves it knowing it could be your prop that gets saved next time. Not judging here, I'm not perfect by any means. A bent prop from this weekend starred this thread. After creeping into a channel I caught a log on my prop. Slowly got to a nearby sandbar and anchored for the day. Luckily, my father in-law was their with his pontoon. We went back to the spot where the incident occurred. I picked up the submerged 10 foot log that had maybe a dozen prop licks on it and tossed in the woods. My reward, a standing ovation from 3 boats waiting to go through the channel. Oh and a $500 order o Wakemakers for a new prop and prop puller.

Feel free to start a "That Guy" thread of your own. Could be a good or bad thing to be "That Guy"

Nice post...could not agree more on all your points .......like to think we are that guy as well.

WakeDoc    471

We always look out for others and help when someone is in need, whenever we are offered something for our time we just request that they pay it forward to someone else.

• Like 3

jester    111

Have been told... Not sure if it's true. If towing someone they need to throw you the rope. If you throw them the rope you are liable for that boat.

You are rendering assistance and under the good samaritan law you are protected. Now this law changes per state so you should check your local laws, but if you are in navigable waters then there is a federal law that trumps state law as long as you do not have gross negligence. Also you cannot charge money for the help provided. If you accept money you open yourself up to anything and everything since it is now a business.

For the line. I always throw them my line. This was I know the shape and quality it is in and I will be able to do the tow safely. If the line breaks this can be bad news for the tow boat since the force will snap the line back into the tow boat and there is no protection for the people in the back of the boat.

Last weekend we towed a fishing boat back to the dock. They tried to toss me their line but this line had no purpose to be on a boat. I would not even tie a bumper to the line it was that bad.

Edited by jester

Stretch    409

I have heard both ways for the towing line. But when I was towed in last month I quickly opted for my line and they took it. I knew it was quality. I tried to get their email for PayPal but was told they had been in the same "boat" last week and to pay it forward.

Edited by Stretch

TL68    40

Honestly, I think most boaters know what it's like to need help. Probably you guys that have been boating for years, have done your fair share. I'll say "thank you" and "cheers". You're the reason why it's a great community. I think I'd take a chance on helping a stranded boat liability or no liability. How's that turd going to know you even own the boat you towed his with?! I'm sure your insurance company has a lawyer that would love to expose a guy like that.

rockballer    162

Would more than help another boater out. I feel it's our duty to. Hear is a story that haunts me.

Local lake and a few guys out 4X4ing... they got stuck on the beach in the mud. fellow seen what had happened and decided to help like all good people. The hitch broke sending the tow look through the back window killing the guy.

BillC4    24

I have towed two boats to the boat ramp this year. Both times the owners offered to pay me. Both times and all future times I did not and will not accept. Whenever you are on the water, not only is it the right thing to do, buts it's the law. You must help out a boater in distress.

On some of the smaller lakes that some of us frequent, fatal consequences may not result, but it's still the law in NC to render assistance.

I've towed people in my fishing boat as well. One day I will need that karma.

• Like 1

WakeDoc    471

Funny we were actually talking about this over the weekend. I will usually have the boat I am towing throw us their rope, if it is not in good shape I will throw it back and offer mine. Reason is when we come into where we are dropping them I can disconnect the rope toss it to them and be on my way. Another thing we were discussing is when at a bigger lake especially if there is rough water I will offer to tow them to the nearest boat ramp where they can moor their boat and I will run them back to get their tow vehicle and trailer. Don't want to take anymore chances than I need to nor put the people in my boat or theirs in anymore danger than they need to be since towing is not the safest thing.

• Like 3

DarksideR    1,679

I've done it several times and will always continue to. Last year, I ran out of gas while pulling in another boater whose batteries were dead. Then I gave him my battery and he towed me the rest of the way. Was pretty funny actually. I offered him money in the end and he just laughed and said neither of us would have made it back without the other. It's probably true. There was no other boaters around.

Whenever we're cruising along, I will look at the boats that aren't moving to watch for anyone waving for help.

• Like 2

silverfish    22

Very good post. I had to be towed in this weekend because of a shredded serpentine belt. Luckily it was the end of the day and we were on the way back to the ramp. My buddy heard a noise from the engine bay and said shut it down. Looked in the hatch and the belt was coming apart. Was still intact but shreds were everywhere. A guy in a ski boat was pulling his kid on the wakeboard and saw me looking under the hatch and came over to see if we needed help. I told him what happened and he said I'll just tow you in. We were only a few hundred yards from the ramp anyway. It was very nice of him to check on us and offer to help. I've never ran across anyone needing help but will be more than willing to do my part when that time comes.

Stretch    409

When you buy another belt grab an extra and throw it in the boat with a cheap Walmart toolbox!

• Like 2

TL68    40

You guys have restored faith in boat humanity. Keep good karma going! Good posts guys. I pulled a buddy back to his dock because of a dead battery. Figured I need help at some point and it was the right thing to do.

daz28iroc    73

we have never hesitated to be the one to tow someone else in, even if other come by or other show up first.

always drive out of our way to grab a stray log, can, plastic garbage, pretty much anything floating.

have always used the tow'ees' ski rope for towing that way you toss and away you go.

always offer our rope for same reason when being towed.

never thought about towing to the nearest boat launch, as there are 3 or four on our lake of choice. and one time we were literally right next to one boat launch, and were paddling in to it, as it was nearly dark. and a family stopped wakeboarding to tow us back to the other end of the lake boat launch where we were parked.

• Like 1

silverfish    22

When you buy another belt grab an extra and throw it in the boat with a cheap Walmart toolbox!

That's what I was thinking. Planning to get two. The cheap toolbox is already there along with a jump box lol.

Bongo Fury    640

Funny we were actually talking about this over the weekend. I will usually have the boat I am towing throw us their rope, if it is not in good shape I will throw it back and offer mine. Reason is when we come into where we are dropping them I can disconnect the rope toss it to them and be on my way. Another thing we were discussing is when at a bigger lake especially if there is rough water I will offer to tow them to the nearest boat ramp where they can moor their boat and I will run them back to get their tow vehicle and trailer. Don't want to take anymore chances than I need to nor put the people in my boat or theirs in anymore danger than they need to be since towing is not the safest thing.

Never thought about using their rope...always used ours.....makes allot of sense.....thanks Doc....maybe just paid for my annual membership.....again!

wow great thread. my wife and i have helped out a couple stranded boaters at lake berryessa even towed a boat with our first boat which was a small prostar 190.

always collect trash, past members of the surf riders foundation , and have helped people with dead batteries on boats a few times as well , but yesterday we got pulled over by the water patrol (sheriff )

and he treated us like complete idiots and on top of that he got mad at me when i tried to keep his boat from hitting mine, he accused me of pushing him off .

I fully believe they are the ones who should be some what nice and inform you of something you did not know in a civilized manner and spend more time citing out of control jet skis and swimmers swimming across boat launch channels .

Anyways lets pay it forward , its not hard . I do not understand why everyone is angry and impatient.

Edited by builtforspeed

enzo101mo    98

I have pulled back to the marine many boats that have broken down and as many of you said " I just want it in return if I breakdown" One time I pulled a boat about 10 miles back to the marina. As I was coming up to the dock I called out to a guy standing on the dock " Hey buddy I am towing these folks boat can you catch the rope and tie them off. The tush scratchier just stood there and didn't say anything back as he was looking at his buddies boat also being towed in. The guy towing his buddy boat saw that the tush scratcher wouldn't respond to me, so he untied the boat he was towing and just dropped the rope in the water and drove off. Another guy on the dock ran over and asked me " throw it to me I'll tie them off" I did and thank him. Then went and grabed his buddies rope and pulled them to the dock and I didn't ask the tush scratcher this time I just threw the rope at him and drove off

• Like 1