ssgviper

Tips on making wake flat for waterskiing

ssgviper    7

I have an 06 Elite V C4 which is probably the best wake board boat for waterskiing . According to Centurion it is a "crossover" boat that can do everything. I know some here must waterski with thier surf/wakeboard boats. What do you do to make the wake smaller/flatter? I normally have 4 people total in the boat. My initial thought is to put spotter and passenger in the bow and adjust my manual trim tab as far down as it will go. I presume filling the center ballast will not help things or will that help balance things out?? Shortening the rope to 28 off seemed to help quite a bit.

Any other tips?

Edited by ssgviper

h20king    794

Someone lied to you. The elite v is not a crossover boat it is just a smaller avalanche. If you wanted a crossover boat you should have looked for a falcon v or enzo 220. You could try to add bow weight to get the transom out of the water some to shrink the wake some but it will still be big for sking.

• Like 1

Skibumm    184

What speed are you going? The earlier Elites were more of an all around boat but I would call it far from good when it comes to skiing. In fact I think it sucks (no matter what you do to it or speed). My brother in law has one and I won't even ski behind it. Now that is not to say that you can't ski it, I am just a picky bugger as I am a course skier. You should be able to recreational ski behind it just not getting too aggressive as you go over the wake.

h20king    794

2000 elite V review http://www.boats.com/reviews/boats/frequent-flier

I think the older hull was considered a crossover boat?

he said his boat is an 06 elite v which is just a scaled down version of the avalanche. Like skibum said you can ski it but nothing is going to make it good

slvrbulit    6

I have a 98 elite open bow and I agree with skibumm, your never going to be able to dial in the wake to get it flat enough to really be able to ski aggressive or be able to ski short line. Any thing shorter then 15' off is damn near impossible. My boat is best for free skiing and just going out to carve a few turns and throw some spray. Great family boat though.

viking    491

Slalom setup is the exact opposite of surfing. Only thing you can do to Help SOME is get as much weight out of the boat as possible, go FAST and use the trim tab!!

I came from a tournament quality ski boat to a world class surf hull. I slalom behind my Supreme but Let's just say I"m extremely cautious as I approach the wake and there is no cutting accross it like I used to do behind my DD. 34-35mph and it's still a mountain compared to a DD wake. Recreational at Best.

enzo101mo    98

My Wife ski's behind our 230 Enzo with a longer ski rope and she mostly just skies on the outside of the wake and when she want to go to the other side she goes over the wake. No balast For slalom for get it.

bomoseen avy    45

Find a buddy with a direct drive! We surf behind my Avy and ski behind his MC prostar!!

ssgviper    7

Someone lied to you. The elite v is not a crossover boat it is just a smaller avalanche. If you wanted a crossover boat you should have looked for a falcon v or enzo 220. You could try to add bow weight to get the transom out of the water some to shrink the wake some but it will still be big for sking.

These say otherwise, sounds like a crossover boat to me. LOL I think someone lied to YOU! :laughing:

"Great crossover boat for skiing, wakeboarding, surfing, and kneeboarding "

"The Elite V C4 is Centurion’s best multisport performer."

"At low speeds, you get a sweet ramp for stomping your latest wakeboard trick. Lay into the throttle, and watch the wake disappear, leaving a blank canvas for your slalom ski."

" the Elite V C4 can pull the full range of water sports, from wakeboarding and surf sessions to wakeskating and even recreational skiing."

ssgviper    7

I have a 98 elite open bow and I agree with skibumm, your never going to be able to dial in the wake to get it flat enough to really be able to ski aggressive or be able to ski short line. Any thing shorter then 15' off is damn near impossible. My boat is best for free skiing and just going out to carve a few turns and throw some spray. Great family boat though.

I disagree, the shorter the rope the better with my boat at least. I think the wake flattens up pretty darn good at 28 off and 32-35mph. I was able to do some good cuts across the wake without too much problem but I had the wake plate adjusted all the way up though and 2 people sitting in the rear. Heading to Powell in a couple weeks and will experiment there by adjusting the plate all the way down and moving people into the bow. I'm hoping all that will flatten the bake a bit more. I'm used to slalom skiing behind a big Chaparral stern drive wake and the Elite is definitely an improvement over that!

Edited by ssgviper

Skibumm    184

I disagree, the shorter the rope the better with my boat at least. I think the wake flattens up pretty darn good at 28 off and 32-35mph. I was able to do some good cuts across the wake without too much problem but I had the wake plate adjusted all the way up though and 2 people sitting in the rear. Heading to Powell in a couple weeks and will experiment there by adjusting the plate all the way down and moving people into the bow. I'm hoping all that will flatten the bake a bit more. I'm used to slalom skiing behind a big Chaparral stern drive wake and the Elite is definitely an improvement over that!

Yes an improvement over that type of boat for sure and I would agree that shorter is better. Still not good but better. I think 32 off at 34 is the best I have seen problem there is you have a pretty good trough to go through, and I will still say there is no way in hell I am getting aggressive with a slalom ski unless you want to get hurt badly with an OTF. Can you rec ski behind it sure you can and you can have a lot of fun. I would be skiing on an HO free ride and going for air behind it not trying to course like ski. Just have fun and enjoy it. We have had fun skiing doubles and hitting the wake and jumping too. But for that 15 off at 32 is the rampy-est wake and the most fun. Don't try and make it something it will never be and just enjoy and modify your tactics and expectations..

ssgviper    7

Skibumm, I agree totally with what you are saying. It'll never be like direct drive boat. We just rec ski, no courses so we're not too picky as we are used to ginormous wakes. Speaking of skis, I just ordered up a Radar P6 ski. Thinking this will be a good ski for behind that boat. I could not bring myself to get the HO Free Ride though as even the P6 is a bit of a stretch I can't even imagine skiing that slow on the Free Ride!

Skibumm    184

Skibumm, I agree totally with what you are saying. It'll never be like direct drive boat. We just rec ski, no courses so we're not too picky as we are used to ginormous wakes. Speaking of skis, I just ordered up a Radar P6 ski. Thinking this will be a good ski for behind that boat. I could not bring myself to get the HO Free Ride though as even the P6 is a bit of a stretch I can't even imagine skiing that slow on the Free Ride!

The P6 is a good ski no worries with that one. I will say I loved the freeride and I skied it at 32 and 34. Nothing like my buoy chasing ski but you could have a lot of fun and go a long time as it was that easy on your body.