TwistC3    7

What batteries are you all running these days, conventional or gel? thanks,

Wylie_Tunes    149

Dont know anyone running a gel in a boat. By chance do you mean AGM? I like both for different reasons. Cant beat the $$$ to Ah ratio of a good quality LAWC but for a large house bank thats going to see repeated deep cycles, AGM's will last longer. Also consider pairs of 6V GC's for a house bank. just need a good maintenance regiment.

viking    491

I installed 2 6v batts for the stereo bank and i'm extremely impressed with them. I've played them for entire weekends and never once had any issues. Of course I shore charge them when home and make sure that they are full of water but so far heads and tails better than my single 12v bank was.

sallen    3

Sorry for hijacking, but this is kind of along the same lines... those with a dual battery setup, do you have a starting battery and a deep cycle, or two starting batteries, or two dual purpose? My ss230 came with two starting batteries and number one is already worn out in less than 2 years. Wondering if I should switch to a deep cycle to run everything else and moving the other starting battery to be primarily used for starting now. Any thoughts?

Wylie_Tunes    149

@ Sallen,

How is that #1 battery used? Is it your main cranking or a dedicated house battery? Is your dual bank setup using a traditional 1/2/BOTH/Off switch or the dual circuit plus switch with a VSR? Do you have a shore charger or access to A/C so one could be used?

sallen    3

Battery 1 (the one that doesn't hold a charge now) was the main cranking battery. Battery 2 (also a starting battery) was being used as a house battery. The switch is off/1/both. I am pretty green with electrical so not sure what the VSR is? I trailer my boat is it goes in the garage after every use and I frequently (though not always) remember to put it on a trickle charge afterward.

Wylie_Tunes    149

Its odd for a marine cranking battery that was used as a cranking battery, to reach its end of life in 2 seasons. What type of charger are you using?

sallen    3

Battery Tender trickle charge. And yeah, very odd. But should I replace it with another cranking battery or move the #2 battery to that position and then put in a deep cycle as the house battery?

Wylie_Tunes    149

For a switch and voltage sensing relay setup I like to have a cranking battery for starting and a deep cycle for the house side. As to moving the existing cranking from the #2 house side to the #1 cranking side is a tough call without knowing the condition of that battery. If your trickle charger is not a multistage smart charger then I would be careful with how long its left on to charge.

sallen    3

Sounds like to be on the safe side that I might want to consider 2 new batteries? Cranking and deep cycle? And just get it over with? FWIW that Battery Tender is a smart charger and doesn't over charge. It switches to maintenance mode when the battery is fully charged.