Nate2215    25

I am brand new to surfing, I think I need some help.

We are trying to surf around 10 mph, I have tried it multiple different ways, mostly just filling the port side ballast totally full including the PNP and trying to add a bit of weight to the other side. The wake looks big, and from what I can tell it looks like all the videos I watch on YouTube.

We can all get up no problem but we are having great difficulty letting go of the rope. I can usually get the wave to push me a little bit and the rope goes slack, but only for about 10 seconds then I lose it. I'm just not sure if it's a wake thing, a speed thing, or just a lack of skills thing

Thanks!

Edited by Nate2215

Stretch    409

Maybe a little more speed? I think a lot is just getting used to it. That feeling is how I felt the day before I went rope less. Just keep going back to that slack, it starts lasting longer and longer :)

• Like 1

NW Boat Sports    232

I am brand new to surfing, I think I need some help.

We are trying to surf around 10 mph, I have tried it multiple different ways, mostly just filling the port side ballast totally full including the PNP and trying to add a bit of weight to the other side. The wake looks big, and from what I can tell it looks like all the videos I watch on YouTube.

We can all get up no problem but we are having great difficulty letting go of the rope. I can usually get the wave to push me a little bit and the rope goes slack, but only for about 10 seconds then I lose it. I'm just not sure if it's a wake thing, a speed thing, or just a lack of skills thing

Thanks!

That's how we all started. Post a video showing your wave and we can critique the wave, speed, etc. but it sounds like you are on the right track!

• Like 1

viking    491

go a little faster and add a little more bow weight to lengthen the pocket but I'd say you have the growing pains of learning and keep it up and won't be long you'll be ropeless!

DrNate    426

A video will definitely help. Also, what board are you riding? That can make a huge difference also.

• Like 1

Bongo Fury    640

. Also, what board are you riding? That can make a huge difference also.

X2...made all the difference in the world!

camss002    5

I have noticed that if my starboard tank has any weight in it at all I get no push from the wake. Its particularly noticable when there are only a couple people in the boat. Having the trim tab down sees to kill the wake a bit too. Also, if the driver is turning to the right at all that effects the wake. I try to do a sweeping left turn around the lake. Try explaining all this too the wife...results in alot of bickering on the lake. HAHA.

• Like 1

stoked    1,039

Without seeing your wave or any photos of you surfing, try moving your feet farther forward on the board as well as closer to the toe edge and see if that gets you going more forward. But definitely, as everyone points out, post some videos and/or photos.

Nate2215    25

Ok, I'll be out this weekend I will take some pics and or videos

Let's hope they are of me going #ropeless

• Like 1

DarksideR    1,679

LOVE IT!

I think everyone here remembers their first time going ropeless. It's such an amazing moment.

Lots to think about, but eventually it comes naturally. You haven't told us what board you're riding. And also important would be your height and weight to figure out a good board for you.

Keep it up Nate !

boatnut    230

Don't give up, I am getting close :)f6e3d7144222aa7ea4c1e730cf405c5f.jpg

h20king    794

Don't give up, I am getting close :)f6e3d7144222aa7ea4c1e730cf405c5f.jpg

think of the surf board as a teater totter. Weight on the back foot is the brakes weight on the front foot is the gas and in between is neutral and that's what your looking for. Couple things that will help with learning to lose the rope #1 don't look up keep your eyes and the board pointed at the corner of the boat and you will find the push. #2 once you find the push don't try to throw the rope in the boat. When you are first learning tossing the rope in the boat causes you to look up and put on the brakes and fall out the back of the wave so just keep looking at the corner of the boat and toss it to the other side of the wave. #3 once you can lose the rope lightley drag your hand in the wave it will help keep you in the pocket. #4 this is the most important have fun.
  • Like 3

DarksideR    1,679

A quick observation of that photo is that you could move your front foot a little closer to the toe edge. The pic could be misleading, but it looks like the board is leaning to your heel edge. Moving your foot much closer to the toe edge will give you more control and you'll wash out a lot less. Keep your weight over the balls of your feet. Let me know the next time you come to Allouette. Will try to hook up and then I can yell at you to do different things! LOL

• Like 2

boatnut    230
A quick observation of that photo is that you could move your front foot a little closer to the toe edge. The pic could be misleading, but it looks like the board is leaning to your heel edge. Moving your foot much closer to the toe edge will give you more control and you'll wash out a lot less. Keep your weight over the balls of your feet. Let me know the next time you come to Allouette. Will try to hook up and then I can yell at you to do different things! LOL

Sounds like a plan, but next few weeks, don't think I will be on the lake much, need to get crap done around the house before I head to woods Lake for 5 days....

But I will try what your say for sure, always wondered if my feet were in the right spot, but man does that new board grab your feet, hard to move your feet, once they are in place

DarksideR    1,679

Sounds like a plan, but next few weeks, don't think I will be on the lake much, need to get crap done around the house before I head to woods Lake for 5 days....

But I will try what your say for sure, always wondered if my feet were in the right spot, but man does that new board grab your feet, hard to move your feet, once they are in place

That's awesome. Hate when my feet slip.

• Like 1

bluesman280    99

think of the surf board as a teater totter. Weight on the back foot is the brakes weight on the front foot is the gas and in between is neutral and that's what your looking for. Couple things that will help with learning to lose the rope #1 don't look up keep your eyes and the board pointed at the corner of the boat and you will find the push. #2 once you find the push don't try to throw the rope in the boat. When you are first learning tossing the rope in the boat causes you to look up and put on the brakes and fall out the back of the wave so just keep looking at the corner of the boat and toss it to the other side of the wave. #3 once you can lose the rope lightley drag your hand in the wave it will help keep you in the pocket. #4 this is the most important have fun.

X2 looks like a bit more weight on that front foot and you will be cruising...

• Like 1

Cdifranco    463

Do the toe scrunch! Not scientific but you scrunch your toes and kind of inch your feet around to move them. I agree the board I ride has great traction and there are times I struggle to move my feet!

Nate2215    25

Ok so here are some pictures, I managed to get rid of the rope for about 30 seconds, We tried shifting people around in the boat, Everyone in the bow definitely seemed to give me a bigger push. Oh and I am on a phase five skim style board (probably not the right board for beginners but the saleslady talked me into it)

Nate2215    25

Ok lets try again, Oh and I left my surf rope on shore so I had to make an old wakeboarding rope work

IMG_3246_zps9rwruceh.jpg

IMG_3244_zpsibxbanzk.jpg

IMG_3240_zpssr8lvhjw.jpg

IMG_3247_zpswzlxm24a.jpg