lovetosurf

PCM ZR 450 Performance tune

lovetosurf    48

Anyone had any experience with these ECU performance tuners for PCM engines? They claim a 15%-17% increase in HP/Torque while improving fuel efficiency which would be helpful at high altitude.

http://www.magnumtuning.com/en/detail/smart-tune-x-boat-fuel-tuner-performance-module/pcm/zr-450-mpi

85b16929d427e233060e7d725161e997.jpg

Any input is much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never heard of it. But I would be nervous doing that on a Marine Engine. They are under load all the time and if you crank it up to much you risk overheating the CATS and doing huge damage to the engine.

Stretch    409

Most handheld tuners for gasoline engines are pretty much crap. Diesel ones are maybe. I wouldn't trust an engine tune not made custom by a professional

TNJeeper    21

I have had multiple tuned Diesels over the last 20 years and there are major improvements available, both from a power, longevity and effiiciency standpoint.

BUT I have never seen one on a gas motor that was worth it.

While I would love to see better fuel consumption on my 450, I don't see a need for more power.

Edited by TNJeeper
  • Like 1

TNJeeper,

I assume you are in Tennessee (perhaps not??). I can assure you at elevation you need more than the 450. Our boat performs great at Lake Powell and anything under 4500 ft. But you take it one of the mountain lakes over 5000 ft. and the 450 can't move the weight. It is a known problem at Centurion.

TNJeeper    21

TNJeeper,

I assume you are in Tennessee (perhaps not??). I can assure you at elevation you need more than the 450. Our boat performs great at Lake Powell and anything under 4500 ft. But you take it one of the mountain lakes over 5000 ft. and the 450 can't move the weight. It is a known problem at Centurion.

Even with the high altitude prop? Not doubting you I am just surprised the altitude makes that big of a difference. I have hauled our race trailer through the mountains out west and lived in Montana for 8 years and driving through some of the high altitude passes there was a difference in performance but not that drastic. I guess the difference in resistance of air and water.

That said I don't see a gas tuner making that much difference

Edited by TNJeeper

lovetosurf    48

It's a drastic difference out here, at 4,500ft (Utah Lake or Yuba) I can push all the weight I want at surf speed range 9.5mph -11.5mph. On Jordanelle Reservoir, around 6,200ft I struggle to get the same weight to even reach 9.5mph! That's with an Acme 1617 prop, which as I understand is even more aggressive than the default 1235 high altitude prop, hence the desperate search for a little more power, it's that or spend a lot more on upgrading to the 550.

Edited by lovetosurf

Stretch    409

I would give it more prop or go to 550. I think with a canned tune from a handheld on a boat motor you will waste money in 1 of 2 ways. Either spend the money for no results, more probable, or spend he money to mess up your engine. Less probably but a possibility with the kind of loads you are placing on it. Most canned tunes have one avenue if they change anything at all, more fuel. This works relatively well on diesel applications, where it is simply compression ignition. Gas is much more complicated

Stretch    409

I think this problem will be accentuated in your case because high elevation ribs power from lack of oxygen. That tuner is probably not prepared for the oxygen levels you are operating in, most likely any results they got, if statistical significant at all, where at sea level, with a lot more oxygen to make boom boom

shawndoggy    49

Try the acme 2079 or the OJ 925... Eric at OJ would definitely arrange to bang some cup out of the prop to give you more RPMs too.

Wylie_Tunes    146

It's a drastic difference out here, at 4,500ft (Utah Lake or Yuba) I can push all the weight I want at surf speed range 9.5mph -11.5mph. On Jordanelle Reservoir, around 6,200ft I struggle to get the same weight to even reach 9.5mph! That's with an Acme 1617 prop, which as I understand is even more aggressive than the default 1235 high altitude prop, hence the desperate search for a little more power, it's that or spend a lot more on upgrading to the 550.

The 1617 is only .5" less pitch then the 1235, but its also a .5" less diameter. I wouldnt call the 1617 more aggressive, then the 1235. Have you talked with ACME? Sounds like you need something like the 1873 or send in your 1617 for a custom pitch tweak.

lovetosurf    48

Sorry for the typo, I'm actually running a 1615 (14.5x13.75) not the 1617. I have spoken with ACME, they've asked for some RPM/speed/weight data this weekend to help recommend a fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SurferAdam    168

I would give it more prop or go to 550. I think with a canned tune from a handheld on a boat motor you will waste money in 1 of 2 ways. Either spend the money for no results, more probable, or spend he money to mess up your engine. Less probably but a possibility with the kind of loads you are placing on it. Most canned tunes have one avenue if they change anything at all, more fuel. This works relatively well on diesel applications, where it is simply compression ignition. Gas is much more complicated

Actually every single canned tuned I have ever seen just increase timing and don't even touch any of the fuel tables. A leaner gasoline engine will typically make more power than a rich engine unless there's a power adder and even then going too rich will hurt performance. The problem is going lean can damage an engine just like too much timing can cause pre ignition or detonation. I've been involved in building high performance LS based engines and tuning using HP tuners and EFI live for over 10 years now and I can say that a proper tune can definitely add performance and conserve fuel but I have yet to see an off the shelf hand held tuner that I would consider using. That said I wouldn't use an off the shelf tuner in a diesel either, my duramax is tuned with EFI live and dyno'd 409 RWHP on my towing tune and shifts perfectly under both part throttle and full throttle. I have yet to see an off the shelf tuner without custom tunes that does that

• Like 2

Stretch    409

Agreed completely on advantages of actual custom tunes. Perhaps I was mixing handheld tuners with more "eBay" style chips. I was under the impressions these worked by tricking r u into thinking the air was colder and dumping more fuel from trickery. Exciting to hear you are into building ls engines. I've been helping my cousin tear apart his full bolt on ls1 TA with plans for a 402 ls2. Hope it actually comes to fruition... You know how that goes.