I'm new here, so forgive me if this has already been discussed: has anyone tried to install a quickfill-type system on an older boat? I have a 2008 enzo and the kids and wife were getting antsy while we filled today. Is this feasible?

chadr    328

Yes. Currently working on mine! I will find the post!

Here it is!

Ballast Build - 2008 Enzo SV 240 - It Begins http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.php?/topic/9914-Ballast-Build---2008-Enzo-SV-240---It-Begins

Probably not quick fill but quicker fill! What does your system have in it?

Edited by chadr

I read through your build post today - pretty cool!

I have a jabsco impeller pump fill system. I have 2 spare pumps that I was considering adding to speed things up, but then I noticed some of the other threads on the RV-style power actuated valves, which I assume are the basis for the quickfill systems. Those systems are pumpless, correct?

How big an effort would it be to swap out my pumps for these valves on the fill side of the bags? Could I install a scupper fitting on the bottom of the boat - similar to the cooling intake for the engine and then install the rv-style power actuated valve just downstream of the scupper? Would that allow that system to fill while underway? Is that how the 2011 - 2013 quickfill systems work?

I would assume that I would need to upsize the plumbing into the bags, at a minimum.

I haven't been able to locate much information on the 2011 - 2013 (or whatever the exact years are) quickfill system (pre "ramfill"), though I haven't spent a lot of time looking yet...

Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

DarksideR    1,679

Welcome to the Wild West of ballast imagination! You've got plenty of great questions and ideas. I'll try to edumacate you on what's what in the current world of reality. Lol

Any boat (that I know of) that has a gate valve for filling ballast has hard tanks built into the boat for this method. I suppose you COULD somehow make it work with a bag, but you'd have to greatly increase the "line" (hose) to the bag. A good pump will fill WAY faster through a 1" hose connection then just using gravity.

The scupper idea came up a few years ago here by a Crew member that did more crazy mods than any three other members combined. (Where did you go sporty!!?) he never actually followed through with it though. I still believe that even if you did a scupper "ram" type fill, you'd have to increase the fill lines to at least 2" to see a benefit.

My suggestion would be to do a multi pump system that you can utilize more than one pump to do your filling and emptying with.

That, or do the FS33 mod.

• Like 1

Yeah, I can see that more pumps makes sense. Especially since I already have 2 spares to add to the stock 2 pumps. Before I went in that direction, I wanted to consider another approach.

A scupper system is quite a bit sexier than a pumped system (to me at least), so I thought I'd seek some feedback.

I was pretty sure that the 2011 (?) And newer scupper systems used hard tanks - it would certainly take a bit more force to fill a bag via gravity/motion, but I would guess it could be done. I think you are right on re: larger intake hoses (and correspondingly larger vent hoses too). My guess is the weak link might be the intake. A slotted scupper similar to a standard cooling intake might not get be job done. Those things have their own impellers to draw water in.

Then that got me to thinking about up sizing the impellar-driven concept through a creation of a parallel system to the cooling water intake using the same scale parts. This could be driven off the engine's serpentine belt, if there were rom for the infrastructure in the engine compartment. I may give that a look when I get home today. This idea may be a bit "out there" though.

Can someone explain to me how the 2011 - 2013 quickfill systems work?

volzalum    280

Personally, I don't think I'd want a quick fill or ram fill type system without hard tanks. That is a lot of water very quickly filling the area. I believe the factory had an issue with a test boat and left an observation port open and sank a boat. Not sure if it was ram or quick style though.

I seem to recall someone putting another pump that ran off the engine's belt drive system. Try a search on here and see if anything comes up. I think they found the hoses were the limiting factor in the fill and drain times.

DrNate    426

Yeah, I can see that more pumps makes sense. Especially since I already have 2 spares to add to the stock 2 pumps. Before I went in that direction, I wanted to consider another approach.

A scupper system is quite a bit sexier than a pumped system (to me at least), so I thought I'd seek some feedback.

I was pretty sure that the 2011 (?) And newer scupper systems used hard tanks - it would certainly take a bit more force to fill a bag via gravity/motion, but I would guess it could be done. I think you are right on re: larger intake hoses (and correspondingly larger vent hoses too). My guess is the weak link might be the intake. A slotted scupper similar to a standard cooling intake might not get be job done. Those things have their own impellers to draw water in.

Then that got me to thinking about up sizing the impellar-driven concept through a creation of a parallel system to the cooling water intake using the same scale parts. This could be driven off the engine's serpentine belt, if there were rom for the infrastructure in the engine compartment. I may give that a look when I get home today. This idea may be a bit "out there" though.

Can someone explain to me how the 2011 - 2013 quickfill systems work?

I have a 2011 Quick Fill and you will not be able to retro-fit it on an older boat. The reason is that the area that fills and empties is a compartment that is built into the hull of the boat at the time the mold for the boat is made. The valve at the rear of the boat simply opens and closes. When sitting still, you open the valve and the compartment fills. To empty, you open the valve and go over 10 mph and the all of the water in the compartment empties out the back. Then you close the valve before stopping. The system works pretty well when the valves don't fail. I've replaced my Port valve three times :thumbdown:

Do yourself a favor and add more Jabsco pumps. You won't be disappointed. Sometimes the best solution is an older, more reliable solution :thumbsup::thumbsup:

WakeDoc    471

The ultimate alternative to Quick Fill was the Uber Pump build that Sporty did a few years back.

Part - 1

Part - 2

Part - 3

Part - 4

Part - 5

4 minute Enzo Sac fill with Uber Valve Retrofit

• Like 2

I have a 2011 Quick Fill and you will not be able to retro-fit it on an older boat. The reason is that the area that fills and empties is a compartment that is built into the hull of the boat at the time the mold for the boat is made. The valve at the rear of the boat simply opens and closes. When sitting still, you open the valve and the compartment fills. To empty, you open the valve and go over 10 mph and the all of the water in the compartment empties out the back. Then you close the valve before stopping. The system works pretty well when the valves don't fail. I've replaced my Port valve three times :thumbdown:

Do yourself a favor and add more Jabsco pumps. You won't be disappointed. Sometimes the best solution is an older, more reliable solution :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Reply fail...

Thanks for the info!

So there is only one valve per side? I would have guessed two valves per side: one on the upstream side of the tanks and another on the downstream side of the tank.

And, what does the intake look like? Is it a brass fitting of some kind?

So far, you guys all seem to be the voices of reason...

DarksideR    1,679

Reply fail...

Thanks for the info!

So there is only one valve per side? I would have guessed two valves per side: one on the upstream side of the tanks and another on the downstream side of the tank.

And, what does the intake look like? Is it a brass fitting of some kind?

So far, you guys all seem to be the voices of reason...

The port of the far left is the Quickfill fill/drain, or it's the Ramfill drain. They look identical. I believe it's a stainless pipe to a plastic RV gate valve on both systems.

post-848-0-75180600-1435014487_thumb.jpg

Cdifranco    463

go pumps.. I've replaced my stock quick fills twice this season alone.

DarksideR    1,679

So that's both the intake AND the outlet?

And thanks for all the help!!

Yes. One valve. Like a ducks wonder hole! LOL.

Quickfill fills while stopped. Water rushes in to fill the cavity of the ballast tank through simple gravity. Once full, you close the valve back up. To empty, you open the valve again and accelerate above 10MPH. The acceleration and the bow height of the boat allow the water to exit through the same hole, which now has no water on it.

Go to 2:00 mark to see it empty.

Well look at me! 24 hours on the site and I now am close to figuring out if I'm foot or horseback!

Thanks for the advice.

I'm leaning toward improving from the stock 2 pumps to 4.

But, I'm going to give it a bit more thought...

• Like 1