phillewis    39

Well, this post has been a damn-long time coming! Life has been incredibly hectic these past few months, but I've finally found some time to get out on my new ride!

post-1885-0-98385400-1434479405_thumb.jpg

She is everything I've dreamed of and more. 2015 S226 with quick-fill and quick-surf, PNP bags, and bow tank. Of course, I immediately swapped out the rear bags for 1100's (had to beef up the engine divider wall supports) and added 100lbs of lead under both side seats, and 200lbs in the bow. The S226 has these ridiculously small built-in coolers under the side bow seats that are way too shallow to actually use for any decent amount of beer... but they are a great size for 2 leadwake bags :) I also re-routed the empty lines to dump out the through-hulls in the side, so I can see and hear when the bags are empty, instead of the guessing game listening for tone changes or looking in the lockers every 5 mins.

I also added a cross-fill Johnson pump between the rear bags. This is definitely a game-changer... cuts the transfer time in half. I'll hit empty on one side, fill on the other, and the cross-fill between the two, and it takes 3:30... I can live with that! I'll also use the cross fill pump to assist in the initial filling (and final draining) of one side or the other. I'll hit fill on both sides, and then hit the cross fill between, going to the side I want to fill completely. Kind of a run-around, but essentially getting 3 pumps to run 2 pumps worth of water in or out of one bag. I'm also planning on adding a three-way valve to the bow pump. The bow tank fills in <4 mins, and then it's just sitting there the rest of the time... so I'm going to add a AUX line to fill up a bag on the rear bench. I have a couple of 400lbs bags sitting around, so I'll start with those, but thinking a 750 would be more appropriate!

Also, the FAE... this is the 3rd one I've installed, and pretty much a no-brainer in my opinion. Cuts down the engine noise, and eliminates fumes... plus Larry has been super cool to me over the years and actually delivered this one in person! He was on a ski trip in CO, and stopped by my house in Boulder. Was great to meet the man behind the invention! However, putting on the FAE definitely added some spray to the wave... so then came the mud-flap a-la-duffy! This thing works like a charm! Had to go through 4 different materials and prototypes to get the final result... but this thing kicks a$$! Totally flattens out the spray and smooths the lip so now it's squeaky clean :)

post-1885-0-08778800-1434481529_thumb.jpg post-1885-0-52553100-1434481549_thumb.jpg

Here's the only shot I took the other day of my buddy riding the starboard wave...

post-1885-0-26558600-1434481824_thumb.jpg

Best setup I've found so far... quick-fill full, 1100 in the rear locker as full as she'll go, 100lbs lead on both sides, 200lbs lead in the bow, bow tank full, leave the quicksurf tabs out of it (just kills the steepness of the wave) 11.4 for speed, 100% trim down... this is all for the starboard wave, have not messed around with the port wave yet...

So, sorry for the long post, just super stoked to get some hours on this beast! Many more mods and photos to come! Surf's up!

• Like 3

viking    491

Yee Haw another duece duece six owner! Looking good.

Might have to hit you up for some info. on which ports you re-routed the empty lines to as that would be extremely helpfull.

Great idea on the cross-fill pump/lines for those of you who surf the wrong side. Nobody in my crew is backwards so I don't worry about the starboard side :)

phillewis    39

Hey Viking, I would highly recommend re-routing your dump lines... basically just a wye fitting in between your intake and pump with some check-valves... one goes up to the pump, the other goes up to the side through hull. I just tapped into my vent lines with another wye and check valve... I'll take some pics next time I'm out there. Was a super easy project, nothing but some hose cutters and hose clamps...

h20king    794

Awesome and congrats did almost the same thing to my boat last year. cant do the mud flap though so the FAE is not on the boat any more but did re route my lines so the bags empty out the side. Also installed a diverter valve so both pumps can fill and empty the surf side sack.

phillewis    39

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/130909984" width="500" height="889" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="https://vimeo.com/130909984">Goofy Wave</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/phillewisart">Phil Lewis</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

phillewis    39

Anybody have any tips on embedding a video from Vimeo???

DarksideR    1,679

Just copy the link of the video page and paste it here.

Congrats on the ride!

Edited by DarksideR

tprice    118

Phill,

Awesome boat you are going to live it.

Instead of adding a bag to the seats I would just get an extra 2-300 lbs of pellet bags.

I place them under the side bench. I have the custom Enzo style sacks but I just place the pellet bags under the side seat so they are out if sight and give way more weight than the extension on the bag.,

Switching sides is easy to swap them over.

May want to add another 100-200 or so of weight to bow, it really helps giving the wave some extra length .

We run tab at 100 and 11.4 on starboard side as well

• Like 1

zonk    13

hey phil. do the 1100 fit good in the rear lockers? and can you use the existing hoses? what did you use to reinforce the engine side walls? do you have any pic of them installed. thanks

phillewis    39

hey phil. do the 1100 fit good in the rear lockers? and can you use the existing hoses? what did you use to reinforce the engine side walls? do you have any pic of them installed. thanks

Yep they seem to fit really well. They definitely fill the entire compartment up, but never get to the bulging-at-the-seams point. And, yes, I just used the stock hoses, it was a direct swap. I used some 1" angle aluminum rails for the divider wall supports, but U channel works great also. I'm going to replace the stock supports with something stronger also. I just added supports to the forward sections of the divider walls, as they did not have any stock supports. I'll get pics next time I'm out...

• Like 1

phillewis    39

Phill,

Awesome boat you are going to live it.

Instead of adding a bag to the seats I would just get an extra 2-300 lbs of pellet bags.

I place them under the side bench. I have the custom Enzo style sacks but I just place the pellet bags under the side seat so they are out if sight and give way more weight than the extension on the bag.,

Switching sides is easy to swap them over.

May want to add another 100-200 or so of weight to bow, it really helps giving the wave some extra length .

We run tab at 100 and 11.4 on starboard side as well

Thanks T, I'll probably add more lead before long... but my Chevy Express Van with the 5.3L is struggling pretty hard coming up the launch ramp as it is... might be looking for a burlier tow vehicle soon...

• Like 1

phillewis    39

Here's a quick video of my buddy Andy riding the goofy wave. He's brand new to surfing, but is a rippin wakeboarder... also first run on the new Lakewakes board, which is pretty damn sweet btw! Hard to tell cause there's really nothing to reference for volume, but the FAE greatly reduces the engine noise... The water was pretty choppy, but you can still see the mud flap working it's magic... fun stuff!

https://vimeo.com/130910327

• Like 1

tprice    118

Looks good

phillewis    39

Been spending some serious hours dialing this thing in! Lots of experimenting with the quicksurf... for the most part, I don't engage it heavily. What I have found, is that it allows you to add more counterweight then purely listed... It can clean up the face with a little bit of the tab. But, there is a sweet spot. If you deploy the tab too far, it kills the steepness of the face, and greatly decreases the push. I tap the down switch 3 times, it barely comes down past level with the hull, just enough to push the wash off the top of the lip.

Latest setup was both quickfill tanks full, starboard 1100 in the rear full, bow full, 200lbs of lead up front, and 200lbs of lead under the starboard seat... and lastly a 400lb bag on the starboard seat. This was as-slammed as I've had it, and the wave was incredibly long, with insane amounts of push waaaay back in the pocket. Also sped up to 11.8... I was running at about 3900 RPMs, and she was not quite as happy as my usual listed setup at 3400 RPMs... but in the name of a killer wave, I don't mind burning a little more fuel :)

The mud flap continues to impress by smoothing the spray from the FAE, but now with this much weight, the corner of my swim platform digs in a little and is creating some spray. It's really close up, and doesn't even make it to the face of the wave, so I'm not too worried about it, but may consider swapping it out for a smaller platform.

Also LOVING my new Soulcraft JS Pro 4'6" with parabolic stringers from Jeff... amazing board!

Waiting for Vimeo to process some video, but here's a couple of pics from today... epic sesh! Also stripped off the bubble Supreme logos off the sides, and I think she looks so much better naked!

post-1885-0-50755200-1438638637_thumb.jpg

post-1885-0-69226100-1438638662_thumb.jpg

post-1885-0-35678300-1438638690_thumb.jpg

post-1885-0-91176400-1438638710_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

phillewis    39

Forgot to add... when adding all the counterweight, and deploying the quicksurf... it allowed me to bring the trim tab up a bit to 75% down (instead of 100% when fully listed)... which helps keep the face of the wave steep. It's a lot of fine tuning, and since there are no gauges, you just have to eyeball it, but so far, I love the adjustability!

• Like 1

viking    491

Looks great! You've got the goofy side dialed.

Noticed my Supreme letters were extremely bubbled too.