Sign in to follow this  
daz28iroc

which sub on xi1k harpoon amp?

daz28iroc    73

It was suggested at the stereo shop that i should use a exile 12" xi12D sub.

However i found a jl 12" W6D4. For the same price.

Whih would u choose or is there another?

Wylie_Tunes    146

To start with, you will need a woofer with a coil configuration thats either a 4 ohm SVC or a 2 ohm DVC. The W6D4 wont work wired in parallel and series drops the output to nothing. I know the Xi comes in a 4 ohm DVC, which wont work, but not sure if they offer another configuration.

I would go with a woofer thats got an RMS in 500-700W range.

Now with that said. Thats about the worst amp for a sub. Its going to consume 2-3 times the battery current that an actual class-D mono would, just to deliver same wattage. Is going to limit you to a sealed box because its full-range amp that does low-pass as opposed quality mono. A true mono class-D is also going to only take up about 1/3rd of the space. I understand the fact that you already own the amp, but sell it for what you can and dont look back.

If you want a solid performing price-point that will deliver comparable wattage, http://kicker.com/12CX6001

Or if you want to step up to a better class of amp http://kicker.com/40KX8001

truekaotik    458

Basically go with the JL is what Wylie is saying. You have a good choice of amplifiers to run that sub. The harpoon isn't one of them..sorry.. I would be questioning my installers suggestions now :(

Edited by truekaotik

enzo on LI    79

Listen to Wylie and True...they know what they are saying and doing.

truekaotik    458

From the power and woofer size stated... My personal opinion is to do a XXX off a SD2/Arc XDi1100.1 or boss status Arc 2500.1....

• Like 1

daz28iroc    73

As i suspected. This puts me back to waiting for next year to get a sub. :(

Wylie_Tunes    146

I hate to see someone go a season with out tunes, but more so, I hate to see you spend the money on a quality hi-power handling woofer, build a custom enclosure, then find the amp is the weak link in the chain.

The W6 is an awesome woofer, but not one that I would suggest to do in a sealed enclosure

The Xi12 is a musical woofer, but its paper based coned, so not one I would suggest in a ported enclosure.

The boat is going to be the driving force behind the size and shape of the enclosure, which in turn, will dictate the best woofer. From that point, you can then match the best amp to the woofer, based on its power needs and the enclosure design.

This may give you and your retailer/installer (if one in the same) time to fully plan the sub setup out, and then source the right gear with plenty of time to get it done.

daz28iroc    73

Well got out this weekend with the xm9 / syn4. Its pretty crazy how loud and clear it is. Even driving full speed its easy to listen to. A bit ear splitting for people in the boat when we come to a stop. And wish there was more bass to it but overall super pleased.

boatnut    230
Well got out this weekend with the xm9 / syn4. Its pretty crazy how loud and clear it is. Even driving full speed its easy to listen to. A bit ear splitting for people in the boat when we come to a stop. And wish there was more bass to it but overall super pleased.

Get a ws420 installed... Then you can control it all separately :)