The weld broke where the angled support meets the vertical piece. The vertical piece just snapped in 2 where the pin holds it to the transom mount. It happened the first time late last season, except the break was at the corner where the vertical piece turns horizontal. After the first fix, that weld held up, but the other one did not.

Has anyone else had this happen? Did you fix it or get new brackets?

post-586-0-08934500-1433956758_thumb.jpg

Stretch    409

So the weld you had done is fine now? If that's the case is just speak to your welder and if they think this one will hold run another one to fix this issue.

Stretch    409

Also what are you keeping on your swim platform?

Sorry, just reread my original post and it's wasn't clear. It broke in 2 places such that the port side of the platform was completely detached and basically just flopping.

One weld that was done last fall is still intact and the other one broke. The other break was in the middle of a straight piece of aluminum...no weld, no bend. The weld that broke this time (and last time) was a reweld at the same spot as an original weld from the factory (where the angled support meets the vertical piece).

I'm not keeping anything on the platform. Only people getting into or out of the water.

Cdifranco    463

Whats the bracket material? Assuming its aluminum or stainless ? its a little more tricky to weld aluminum than simple stainless steel. Id make sure who ever's welding it knows what their doing and isn't just saying I've welded some rust patches before this should be easy. (I've seen a literal ton of weld rejects and weld failures in my field of work)

Stretch    409

I was assuming it was all Al since you said he bar that broke was. At first I questioned weld quality but I'm not liking the fact that the aluminum bar broke in the middle not at a joint

Edited by Stretch

Stretch    409

I also doubt anyone that's only welded some rust patches could come close to running a visibly mediocre bead on aluminum

Bigcatpt    408

Those particular swim step brackets are well known to fail. Some have successfully had them welded. Some just replace.

Cdifranco    463

I also doubt anyone that's only welded some rust patches could come close to running a visibly mediocre bead on aluminum

Definitely agree stretch if your not skilled your not going to produce a good looking weld. Visual looks is not the best indication of strength however, Aluminum is a unique metal to weld. Probably my favorite also.

Out of curiosity whats the cost of new brackets?

chadr    328

a2d8e8b9b2135532f92c0419e7f1d614.jpg

These are my brackets. Seem to be holding up.

I guess that's the design they went with after the garbage brackets they put on my boat started breaking. It's a wonder they lasted this long.

Edited by Lake Water Connoisseur

Jlreevesiv    14

a2d8e8b9b2135532f92c0419e7f1d614.jpg

Are these the replacements from Centurion or did you have them fabricated? I'm having the same problem. The bracket attached to the platform gets hogged out where the pin goes through. I've had mine reinforced once (local welder) and now I'm having it done again. I've heard of stainless replacement brackets being sold by Centurion but I haven't called to check on price or availability. I've seen posts on CC that stated the brackets on the transom have to be replaced as well requiring different bolting locations on the transom which I'm not fond of. It appears as though CHADR has aluminum brackets which utilize the same mounts to the transom as mine. Just curious what the story on his are. They are not the aluminum brackets I'm used to seeing. Also you guys who've changed yours out to Stainless.....Was it worth the trouble? did you have issues with mounting transom brackets? Do the brackets cover up or use existing mounting holes in transom?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

souperfly    41

I just had one of mine break in the exact same way this last weekend too! I called a rep at Centurion, who confirmed this is a known problem with the older swim platform brackets. The new one's that Centurion sell will require new holes in the boat, as it doesn't line up with the originals. However, he did give me the number to Alloy Marine, who makes brackets for Centurions. The new ones will mount to the original transom locations, however it will require new holes in the swim platform. Mine should be in today, but here is their website.

http://www.alloymarine.com/indexII/Alloy-Marine-Home.html

Edited by souperfly

The Mid year 2015 models and newer have a entire new SS set of brackets that use the same hole pattern as the ones form the previous several years. The ones in the pictures above have the same pattern as the new ones. Check with your local dealer to see what they look like.

chadr    328

Are these the replacements from Centurion or did you have them fabricated? I'm having the same problem. The bracket attached to the platform gets hogged out where the pin goes through. I've had mine reinforced once (local welder) and now I'm having it done again. I've heard of stainless replacement brackets being sold by Centurion but I haven't called to check on price or availability. I've seen posts on CC that stated the brackets on the transom have to be replaced as well requiring different bolting locations on the transom which I'm not fond of. It appears as though CHADR has aluminum brackets which utilize the same mounts to the transom as mine. Just curious what the story on his are. They are not the aluminum brackets I'm used to seeing. Also you guys who've changed yours out to Stainless.....Was it worth the trouble? did you have issues with mounting transom brackets? Do the brackets cover up or use existing mounting holes in transom?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

These were the ones one boat when I got it. They are heavy and I don't think they are Aluminum. Probably stainless. Centurion hopefully got it right on mine.

I just had one of mine break in the exact same way this last weekend too! I called a rep at Centurion, who confirmed this is a known problem with the older swim platform brackets. The new one's that Centurion sell will require new holes in the boat, as it doesn't line up with the originals. However, he did give me the number to Alloy Marine, who makes brackets for Centurions. The new ones will mount to the original transom locations, however it will require new holes in the swim platform. Mine should be in today, but here is their website.

http://www.alloymarine.com/indexII/Alloy-Marine-Home.html

Please post pics of your new ones when you get them. If you don't mind me asking, how much did they cost. I have some on order, although Fineline told my dealer that they are out of stock and on order. She did NOT say anything about needing to install new brackets on the transom.

souperfly    41

Please post pics of your new ones when you get them. If you don't mind me asking, how much did they cost. I have some on order, although Fineline told my dealer that they are out of stock and on order. She did NOT say anything about needing to install new brackets on the transom.

Well, the brackets mount to all but 2 of the screw holes on the swim platform, and the new transom brackets are supposed to line up with the original holes. I haven't been out to the boat yet, but I will tomorrow AM. They are a completely different mount, but use the same holes. With 2 day shipping, I paid about $440 total and they seem to be excellent quality. He basically assured me that the fiberglass would break prior to his brackets!

post-1291-0-40682200-1434210828_thumb.jpg

Edited by souperfly

Jlreevesiv    14

I've Got Repair #2 complete and ready to install, But looking at the Alloy Marine design, I'll be ordering some soon.

The way the pin goes through the bracket is entirely different and looks to be the solution for every broken bracket I've seen imaged so far.

The original design is obviously not strong enough to hold the weight of the fiberglass platforms we now have.

Had an 05 elite v with teak deck which had the same brackets and never had an issue.

The fiberglass platforms are so large, when surfing they are steady in the water. It appears that is a contributing factor as well.

Thanks guys for all the responses!

adambomb2000    35

My platform brackets for my 06 Enzo 230 broke in the same place when the boat was getting slammed I a storm (caught my teak platform 200 ft away trying to float to freedom!)

I just purchased stainless flatbar from Metal Supermarket in their cutoffs bin and making new brackets. The steel cost me about $55. Need a welder though (which I have) and a grinder and a drill press helps. They'll be way heavier than the stock aluminum but hey that's great on a surf boat!