Sign in to follow this  
zonk

2015 s226 intermittent no start

zonk    13

second day out on the water shut boat off and wouldn't start for about 10 min. checked connections at starter, key and wiggled the throttle to make sure was in neutral. still didn't start. tried after about 10 min and started and was good for about 15 starts. now a week later it wouldn't start again. sat for 30-40 min before just jumping terminals on starter and it started and was fine again for the rest of the day. has anyone had this happen to them. its a bran new boat but i can't take it to dealer bc the no crank is so intermittent. ????

Stretch    409

Have you actually told the dealer about it? Wonder if it is in the ignition switch

Cdifranco    463

Can't say you have the same problem as me but I was furious it was happening to me with a brand new boat. Really made me nervous about shutting the boat off out on the lake and hoping it will restart. My issue eventually escalated and when I would click the start button I would have a 3-5 second delay before the starter would engage. Eventually I kept blowing the 20amp starter fuse and then blew the starter. Replaced the starter this week and hoping to test it this weekend. Sucks to hear you having issues but keep us updated on what you find!

zonk    13

i talked to dealer but they have never seen anything like this. also its hard to diag the problem when it is so intermittent. boat has no blown fuses, and when try to start you can hold the key in the start position and nothing. ill take a test light for next time this happens and see if the starter is getting triggered by the ignition.

h20king    794

Check the crimp and connection on the main ground and power cables at the engine and batt. selector switch and also at the batteries. Our last boat did the same thing. Finally lost all power. Searched with a test light for two days . Had power everywhere but boat would not start. Started tugging on cables and the main power wire care out of its connector. All connections both ground and power must be solid so the boat gets the 12 volts needed to start. Also look under the helm there are a couple main lug power and ground buss bars up there as well

• Like 1

DarksideR    1,679

I'd start at the back of the ignition. Check that all the wires are secure there. Then the battery connections like H said. Even though it's brand new, check for corrosion on the battery posts.

Carter13    69

I had a second battery installed on our 06 22V at the dealer a couple months after we bought the boat which we ran it for those months. We picked the boat up, brought it back home and parked it in the garage. A couple days later it was Saturday and the weather was going to be 90 degrees so we went to the lake and backed in the water. I started it but it ran like crap and smoked. I shut it off and pulled out to see if I could figure it out.

Long story short the factory did not crimp the main terminal good enough and when the dealership installed the second battery they pulled the cables and they disconnected.

Bottom line is ALL the manufactures suck at doing a final inspection when their boats come off the line.

Would you agree boatnut?

• Like 1

Audionly101    39

If you are able to jump the solenoid of the starter and it starts right up then you probably don't have a "main" power or ground connection issue like loose a connection at the battery. It is most likely on the "S" terminal side meaning ignition switch, shifter interlock and so on. A test light in the boat should be a good way to verify that the next time it doesn't start.

zonk    13

does anyone have a wire diagram so i can see everything on the ign side of the starter ?

Nbirch    0

Curious if you ever resolved this issue. . . I'm having a similar problem in my 2008 V232. Gauge cluster is wigging out. Perfect pass isn't grabbing at set speed. . . Then tonight, Boat randomly wouldn't start. Getting a classic low battery "click click click but I have power for all other electrical stuff, e.g. ballast, stereo, blower etc. . . Tested batteries for voltage and they are both good. Ground issue? Starter solenoid? I just don't know where to start with wires etc. . . Gut tells me this is an electrical issue. . . Any thoughts?