Shaka

So not that much info on here regarding Teleflex Steering Cable

Shaka    146

My boat got it's first run at Lake Powell last weekend and the steering is pretty stiff. I know that means a new cable is probably needed. I'll be trying to eek out one more trip on the old cable before changing.

Does anyone have some advice in changing these in an older Enzo? I know you have to pull up the center floor panel to do it but I'm not sure what the rest of the job entails.

h20king    794

its a easy job. After you remove the cable from the rudder and guide tube tie a small rope to the cable. separate cable from the helm then pull through. once the cable is out leave the rope and remove old cable. Tie rope to new cable and pull through. It helps if you have someone feed the cable while you are pulling the rope. Attach cable at rudder then attach cable at the helm and don't forget to index the steering wheel.

• Like 1

Shaka    146

How is access to the rudder?

RhuntIII    555

On a 2002 AVY its tight. H20 is correct it's an easy job with little down time.

Bigcatpt    408

How is access to the rudder?

That is the worst part of the job. Access and loosening the one nut. The rest is not bad.

truekaotik    458

On the Enzo or Avy, take the center plate out, take under dash side plate off. You will have enough space to not use rope. Pull from steering wheel out after taking off but at guide first then pin in rudder.. Then unbolt from steering wheel. Center rudder first. This helps... Then reverse the take out procedure. Enough room to manipulate.

• Like 1

RVR-RAT    269

That is the worst part of the job. Access and loosening the one nut. The rest is not bad.

You and your nuts....... :shock:

• Like 1

TL68    40

On the Enzo or Avy, take the center plate out, take under dash side plate off. You will have enough space to not use rope. Pull from steering wheel out after taking off but at guide first then pin in rudder.. Then unbolt from steering wheel. Center rudder first. This helps... Then reverse the take out procedure. Enough room to manipulate.

Good call on centering the wheel True. It's a lot easier doing that on dry ground instead of on the water.Grease the rudder and inner part of the cable tube , if you can. I would also recommend a good beer assistant.

• Like 1

Do0zman    3

I have an 05 sv230 and will be doing this job soon. got the cable but the damn sideswipe exhaust is the only thing that i can see really getting in my way. ill try to chime back in when im done. If you get done before me let me know what secrets you have for the enzo

• Like 1

Dan gib    8

also planning this job amazon has pretty good price at 131$ if you catch it at the right time but sometimes its as high as 145

rhino89523    34

I did mine on my Avy and it took me a little over an hour. The big nut is a mean woman but you can get it. I cut mine at the helm bound it together with the new one and just pulled the new one through with the old one. Hooked it up in the back centered it up and attached it to the helm...done.

I was all prepped thinking it was going to suck because I knew what they wanted at the boat repair shop and it was really easy...I had to follow it up with a new seal, and shaft bearing...still not bad but much worse than the cable. Aligning the motor takes a little doing. 

superdtf    68
On 4/5/2019 at 4:22 PM, rhino89523 said:

I did mine on my Avy and it took me a little over an hour. The big nut is a mean woman but you can get it. I cut mine at the helm bound it together with the new one and just pulled the new one through with the old one. Hooked it up in the back centered it up and attached it to the helm...done.

I was all prepped thinking it was going to suck because I knew what they wanted at the boat repair shop and it was really easy...I had to follow it up with a new seal, and shaft bearing...still not bad but much worse than the cable. Aligning the motor takes a little doing. 

That's how I do it:  Attach the new cable, pull the old one out, and the new one into place.